Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

€2.99/month dedicated - what's going to happen in the industry?

I mean, look at it, €3/month and you go away with 2 or more 1.6GHz core, 100Mbps unmetered guaranteed, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD (so far, they're brand new HDDs)

We're talking about the new OVH plans! http://kimsufi.com/

What's going to happen to LEB providers and other low end dedicated providers? (see online.net)

Providers are most welcome to answer this.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nothing I guess, because location does matter. I need good ping from MExico, and France is not in near us.

• @netomx OVH has good network in Europe.

Thanked by 1tux
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@chauffer , yeah I know, these deals are in Europe, and Mexico, as far as I'm aware, is not in Europe. So, I'd prefer US for the moment.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2013

Nothing is going to happen, I still believe it's just a big marketing play, the offer will be replaced soon enough and prices will go back up. Those that know understand power costs etc.. Whilst the losses on this offer are cheaper than a big advertising deal to get people talking they will only deploy so many.

• Nothing will happen. These deals wont last long, at this price. Big players afford such marketing stunts. Even the people who normally would avoid OVH, had to rethink their reason for a while.

I can only see a bunch of idle kimsufi ;)

• @W1V_Lee I don't think prices are going up too soon, I mean, they're OVH, they can afford doing that.
    Still, I'm 90% sure I'm going to cancel my personal VPS, the dedicated is cheaper and I get a lot more stuff.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Nothing will happen, as every provider has his pros and cons besides the price. I'm still using a @Alex_LiquidHost vps for some udp ddos protection, two @torqhost servers, two @concerto49 servers + a @prometeus server for a redundant dns service and a @SpeedBus vps, because you could order it anonymously for some free-speach stuff.

All of these providers are amazing.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Even at previous prices with 9.99 EUR for this server, I really think majority of VPSes at the most common pricing have long since lost the war -- basically it was "cancel two LEBs, get a dedi, and maybe even save money". And the KS2G specs are more than enough to do anything you would generally do on a LEB. Not to mention resources are 100% dedicated to you here, so no concern about abusing CPU or disk, and no suffering from others if they abuse.

And now it's "cancel one LEB, get a dedi". And I am already considering to cancel some I didn't think I ever will, those are deals at 2-2.5 EUR or so, which seemed to be awesome, but now when there's a whole server offered for 3 EUR - not anymore, really.

Thanked by 2Lee chauffer
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

Allthough dedis have some pros, let's look at cpu power: Ramnode e.g. has some 5$ vps' that score a unixbench of ~2000, the atom servers score 600-800, plenty of vps priced at 3-5€ will outperform the ovh atoms in terms of cpu power, even though the providers don't want you to use all the cpu power all the time, there's some kind of burst for the peak hours.

• ATHKATHK Member

Only thing I can see happening here is cheap seed boxes .. that's all.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Great, got 2. Waiting setup. Needed two backup servers :3

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited July 2013

What's going to happen ...other low end dedicated providers? (see online.net)

I wouldn't worry too much about online.net not surviving because of OVH's price changes. Online.net is owned by Iliad Group which has revenues of over $1 billion and is one of France's largest ISPs and telecom providers (they own Free.fr, Iliad Telecom, and several other companies)

Those that know understand power costs etc.

Those that understand costs also know that the price OVH pays for its bandwidth is a hell of a lot less then what almost any other dedicated provider pays (with the exception of maybe online.net) because OVH also has a large ISP division (http://www.ovhtelecom.fr/) and buys a sh*tload of bandwidth in bulk. The same goes for power. It has the size to negotiate lower rates than what a ColoFrancecrossing (if one existed) could negotiate. TL;DR: its ability to offer sustainable lower prices and still turn a profit is much better than the 2GB/$7 RAM crowd or WII/Datashack/etc crowd.

OVH usually only makes 1-2 major changes per year to their server lineups and pricing so I think these prices will be in place for several months.

• I've ordered one dedi, but will also keep my remaining vps, specially from Prometeus. I won't let it go :D

• I'm not sure I can see this pricing continuing going forward; however, even if it does there are more things to LEB providers than price that OVH do not offer.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • if this price remains, I think it will hit on the VPS sales.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@chauffer said:
    if this price remains, I think it will hit on the VPS sales.

Well, the i5 servers are great for the price, but for medium sites I would still prefer a vps over the atom servers, because of more cpu power and faster HDD's (considering there are plenty of SSD vps out there), the ovh plans are good for backup solutions and services which need alot of bandwidth without using too much cpu, the usage is mostly limited because of the cpu.

• Sh@t! I'm at a 40 EUR server now with half of specs. And it's an OVH reseller.

Do these prices remain or is it just a temporary offer?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

OVH does not service everyone, if you are in one of the "bad" countries, especially since they are running at a loss, (I am not sure that price covers power consumption), you wont be able to order, I suppose, or they will kick you for imaginary reasons.

If this is a stunt to push small providers out of the market, then it is not only illegal, but will also not work. Not only because of location and how they treat people, but also because not everyone can setup a dedi, not everyone is happy with the CPU speed and general specs of those, disk is big, but memory not so much, 100 mbps might be good for most people, but others may need bursts, etc.

If anything, this will give a blow to unprofessional hosts, not those that are working hard towards quality and customer satisfaction.

• Thanks, @Maounique. That's a very good point of view.

I will ask the reseller about the prices, as they resell the Kimsufiserver.

For your info: I am not a small hoster or such. I have a streaming media/journalism hobby so I needed something bigger than a VPS. :-)

• emuemu Member

Thanks! ordered one too

• @dennisdewit why are you on a reseller though?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I am charge vat but im not euro guy. Do I just pay it first then request refund later via ticket?

I have been looking at it more carefully, the 16 GB sandybridge with 2x1TB disks is much more appealing, however, only one IPv6 ? WTF ? They are running out or something ?

I agree 100% with only one IPv4 for the price, however, only 1 IPv6 is going too far.

• LEB will probably continue as one of the reason people have multiple VPS is to isolate one from the other, for example, I would not want to run a voip pbx and a popular website on the same server, incase the http traffic messes with the sip traffic. The real LEB users will continue to use LEB providers, like the <$3/month deals However, people will question paying $4 for a VPS when they can get a dedi for the same price.

• @finlandvps said:
    dennisdewit why are you on a reseller though?

Because OneProvider provided 3 IP addresses with UK-geo. I need that for a VPN. However, I'm considering a Kimsufi straight from OVH, if they could provide additional UK ip's.

I'm running ESXi on it, just as same as my homeserver. I know how to manage them, so I don't need anything managed.

However, I will hint OneNode first. Maybe they can work out something for me.

• @Maounique said:
    I have been looking at it more carefully, the 16 GB sandybridge with 2x1TB disks is much more appealing, however, only one IPv6 ? WTF ? They are running out or something ?

I will just use my tunnel from HE :D.

I have the options of routed /64 and /48 from HE

• Please note: plans are for 3 months or more. You can not simply pay per month.

• LukeTLukeT Member

@Maounique said:
    I agree 100% with only one IPv4 for the price, however, only 1 IPv6 is going too far.

With my order, I appear to have got a /64 assigned with the option to add a failover IP..

• Will OVH make it in the Top Providers list with this offer?

edited July 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    Will OVH make it in the Top Providers list with this offer?

Maybe next quarter :)
    But price is only one of the factors, RamNode is scoring high as well as BuyVM even though there are much lower priced offers in the market.

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    I have the options of routed /64 and /48 from HE

Sure, can you tell me how big is the latency and speed ? Thanks :)

@LukeT said:
    With my order, I appear to have got a /64 assigned with the option to add a failover IP.

Then it looks like a typo, where it says 1 IPv6 should be read 1 /64 of IPv6, that is much better :)