Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, now Ubuntu take over the server market?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So, now Ubuntu take over the server market?

dnwkdnwk Member
edited July 2013 in General

This is a statics from Linode

56% of deployments are Ubuntu

21% of deployments are Debian

17% of deployments are CentOS

2.2% of deployments are Fedora

1.8% of deployments are Arch

with more than 50% using Ubuntu and more than 77% if you combine it's upstream Debian.
It looks like Debian family gain traction over Red Hat.
So, what's your client's distro choice?

Comments

• I love debian

• skaska Member
    edited July 2013

I doubt that Ubuntu/Debian is taking over the server market. Even though I'm a Debian user. What the stats do not show is the actual purpose of the respective servers. And that's what it comes down to. Afaik, most of the big companies stick to Redhat based distros.

• Be better if you could run cpanel on deb or unbuntu

• skaska Member

It would be better if cPanel would be burned and ISPs would provide a good alternative that has arrived in the HTML5/CSS-age.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Debian for all my vps'es. But Ubuntu for our servers because it is way easier to install Java 7 on it.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited July 2013

@Zen said:
    Basically use in the masses does not define the best, or most successful anything in many scenarios. I would like to see the numbers for Debian & Ubuntu deployments in corporate environments.

The numbers for Ubuntu server deployments (i.e. dedicated servers not cheap VPS's) in corporate environments would likely be closer to 0% than 5% :)

• LeeLee Veteran

@dnwk said:
    This is a statics from Linode

So, what's your client's distro choice?

Is that based on Linode's customer base though? If so then I would not see that as anything more remarkable than their clients swing towards one particular distro.

I find Linode leans much more towards Ubuntu in their Library, forums and so on. Is it representative of the world? Not really sure.

That said Ubuntu is certainly making it's way up there.

• tuxtux Member

@joodle said:
    I love debian

Me too

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited July 2013

@Deathstarr said:
    Be better if you could run cpanel on deb or unbuntu

Or a cpanel alternative on Ubuntu

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Zen said:
    Basically use in the masses does not define the best, or most successful anything in many scenarios. I would like to see the numbers for Debian & Ubuntu deployments in corporate environments.

Not everyone is driving a Ferrari, but does that make some family van or cheap hatchback which is 90% of the cars driven the best or most well made car?

My workplace's server use Ubuntu. I really spend some time adjusting myself from CentOS to Ubuntu. But after that, I never want to touch CentOS again.

• twaintwain Member

I believe the majority of very experienced Linux admins are more proficient with RH than Debian/Ubuntu.

• DylanDylan Member

If you look at the top one million websites Debian's been in first place for a while and Ubuntu's been steadily gaining in third:
    http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/03/shuttleworth-highlights-server-growth-as-ubuntu-overtakes-rhel-on-top-websites/

I'm sure Ubuntu's even more popular now (those numbers are a year old) but I do suspect that if you looked at, say, the top 100 websites Ubuntu would be significantly further down.

• I think well experienced admins are, too often, to antiquated technophobes as noobs are, very often, to the progressive masses.

Who really cares if that makes sense or is agreeable. It's true, and building from source even dated package management software that often fails to resolve dependencies and requisites configurations before make that are often not update friendly is some thing not only I would denounce-But lots of others who have taught me over the years steered me away from too. Old web heads, guys that have decently sized companies who just don't want to see me make mistakes. I don't know how else to put it really, certainly not saying RH is bad or doesn't have a place. But a lot could have been done over the years to make it more progressive. And a lot wasn't done, so here's to having good software channels and well kept archives for Universe and Multiverse repositories. THAT's why Ubuntu has gained so much popularity. And I like the funky names, so if you don't agree Whatever, just don't be a grumpy groundhog.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-linux/all/all

Centos is still over Ubuntu and if we add redhat, the difference is even bigger, fedora also and Debian itself is below. Sure, Debian+Ubuntu is significantly over 50% of the total.

Experienced admins prefer Debian/CentOS indeed, however, Ubuntu does the job it was supposed to, introduce more people to linux and admining. That was their goal all the way.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Maybe just with linode customers. not all servers as a whole. since it is vps, maybe people like latest software without compiling, thats why ubuntu.

@jcaleb said:
    Maybe just with linode customers. not all servers as a whole. since it is vps, maybe people like latest software without compiling, thats why ubuntu/fedora...

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • smansman Member
    edited July 2013

I think a lot of desktops use Ubuntu but Redhat/CentOS is king in the server market. So Ubuntu might be able to put up big numbers but you gotta put it into perspective.

They all run the Linux kernel and pretty much all the packages come from the same source code so not all that different. At least not in a Mac/Windows sort of way.

edited July 2013

@sman said:
    I think a lot of desktops use Ubuntu but Redhat/CentOS is king in the server market. So Ubuntu might be able to put up big numbers but you gotta put it into perspective.

We are talking about servers here, not desktops, unless some of the top 1 mil sites are served from desktops which i doubt very much.

Also the discussion started from Linode statistics which are probably 90% servers too.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

My workstation before in national university of singapore has a public IP (to my surprise, i thought it was wasteful of ipv4). I served my personal website from my desktop there. But I am not in top 1 mil sites.

@jcaleb said:
    My workstation before in national university of singapore has a public IP (to my surprise, i thought it was wasteful of ipv4). I served my personal website from my desktop there. But I am not in top 1 mil sites.

Hehe, oh, tempora ! When Asia was still not out of IPv4... Or maybe the university was sitting on a /8 or something.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@twain said:
    I believe the majority of very experienced Linux admins are more proficient with RH than Debian/Ubuntu.

I think RH has some kind of certification but Debian/Ubuntu don't

• smansman Member

@Maounique said:
    Also the discussion started from Linode statistics which are probably 90% servers too.

Well in that case I would say those numbers are not representative of the overall market.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited July 2013

@jcaleb said:

Most Universities in US, HK, MO, and many other places assign public IP to end users. Yes. It is waste of IPv4. But they have their own block of IP. Usually a lot. However, Most case, their firewall will block some ports so that user cannot host server from their desktop. Your case is rare.

• dnwkdnwk Member

One thing I don't understand is How RH reach 1 million revenue. And where Ubuntu got the money to run

edited July 2013

Could be, but that does not show any statistics of usage. I believe it is just some opinions.

@dnwk said:
    One thing I don't understand is How RH reach 1 million revenue. And where Ubuntu got the money to run

I think you mean 1 billion in case of RH. They have paid subscription for updates. The times when people got fired for installing at work "hacker OS" such as linux are long gone, many companies accepted OS software and RH is not free, therefore it must be good and more acceptable than others.

AS for Ubuntu, they were massively subsidized and it does not take quite that much money to run. It is still losing money: http://www.internetnews.com/blog/skerner/canonical-ubuntu-linux-is-still-not-profitable.html

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@Maounique said:
    Could be, but that does not show any statistics of usage. I believe it is just some opinions.

Then google it.
    http://www.unixmen.com/linux-in-enterprises-market-share-and-business-which-use-linux/

edited July 2013

I believe this is what i linked above ?

@Maounique said:

Centos is still over Ubuntu and if we add redhat, the difference is even bigger, fedora also and Debian itself is below. Sure, Debian+Ubuntu is significantly over 50% of the total.

Experienced admins prefer Debian/CentOS indeed, however, Ubuntu does the job it was supposed to, introduce more people to linux and admining. That was their goal all the way.

• I think you mean 1 billion in case of RH. They have paid subscription for updates. The times when people got fired for installing at work "hacker OS" such as linux are long gone, many companies accepted OS software and RH is not free, therefore it must be good and more acceptable than others.

One of RedHat's largest customers is the US Defense Department
    http://www.redhat.com/resourcelibrary/case-studies/the-department-of-defense-saves-millions-builds-private-cloud

some other enterprise customers http://www.redhat.com/resourcelibrary/case-studies/

• All of my VPSes are on Debian 7