Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month - Page 101
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@DomainBop said:
    Thank you Oles!

Could have been "Thank you Maounique !" if you were taking me seriously when I was warning everyone that OVH is not that serious...

• 2 months of waiting and still nothing. RIP my cute cheap server.

They will likely provision these, even if it takes them years, if they will still be in business. Introducing now another criteria to "weed off" "resellers" or whatever other criminals that pay with VISA or bank transfer, or whatever other criteria will be such a big blunder that will eclipse all the others before.

• I'm curious - why are resellers so hated by OVH? Is it just that they know the volume of orders from resellers would be far in excess of what they could ever satisfy?

If the OVH TOCs are in order, they could just take their money and immediately boot them if there are breaches. OVH would have no contract with the end user who gets the resold server.

I guess the administrative overhead of provisioning and then kicking makes it unprofitable, and they need someone who will hold a server for years to see profit.

edited September 2013

@squibs said:
    I'm curious - why are resellers so hated by OVH? Is it just that they know the volume of orders from resellers would be far in excess of what they could ever satisfy?

If the OVH TOCs are in order, they could just take their money and immediately boot them if there are breaches. OVH would have no contract with the end user who gets the resold server.

I guess the administrative overhead of provisioning and then kicking makes it unprofitable, and they need someone who will hold a server for years to see profit.

They thought of this as a publicity stunt to attract new customers, however, it backfired as any sane people would have thought.
    First, resellers were queuing to take them, that meant that only resellers will get new customers and OVH will foot the bill. I understand them blocking resellers. What I do not accept is blocking payments already done with paypal, or even worse, block the order and then take the money.
    Then people were buying many, so they set a limit to 3 per person, I agree with this too.
    But then saw that even so, the request is too big and people start cancelling the more expensive one from previous series. So they blocked non-EU people AFTER they took the orders and in many cases, the money. That is not acceptable from any point of view.
    Now they decided to cut the losses and stop provisioning of all servers, they have no more money, probably, to continue to buy them so have to stop and wait for demand to grow, so they can launch a new line at reasonable prices.
    It was a major disaster as I predicted it will, even bigger than I thought.

• anyone want to sell one of his/her ks2g ?

• I'm curious - why are resellers so hated by OVH?

OVH resellers, especially Kimsufi resellers, are also "hated" by OVH customers like moi and I'm glad OVH is finally making life more difficult for them (and I'm also glad OVH temporarily killed off the OVH summer host business by marking everything out of stock). The majority of abuse on the OVH network (spammers, botnets, incoming/outgoing DDoS) can be traced to the customers that buy from resellers. A lot of OVH resellers sold to buyers on wjunction and hackforums. The VPS/shared hosting customers of providers who offer hosting services from OVH boxes are the second biggest source of abuse on the OVH network. +1 for OVH finally doing something to clean up their network.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • Just got mine from August 3rd.

• Just got mine today. :)

• @Keith @iKeZ
    Did you get any notification email from OVH?

• @Kupol Yes, I received a notification email and an invoice email, invoice period starting from today.

• Same as above, got two emails through.

• Oh well, I still haven't received mine, yet I've ordered on the 3rd of August as you guys have.

• @Kupol Possibly in the spam folder?

You can also check your contract date to see if OVH has the same date as you.
    You should already have a login to OVH manager, click on My Services then Your contracts with OVH. Mine shows 2013-08-03 01:10:22.

• @Keith
    Yeah, but it's a bit later than yours. 2013-08-03 21:28:38

• I ordered mine on the 1st, and they say the original payment processed on the 5th. So you were a couple of days after me - I'd expect it in the next day or so. :)

• Lovely spam from @consolepark again.

• Just got mine!!!!

single core old celeron :/

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU          220  @ 1.20GHz

@Keith @iKeyZ what cpu did you get ?

• @camarg

Got mine today, Celeron 220.........

processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 220 @ 1.20GHz
    stepping : 1
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

dang

• mikecupcakemikecupcake Member
    edited October 2013

Got mine this morning, also with Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 220 @ 1.20GHz

Was that the listed spec back around 28th July? I can't remember what I ordered.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited October 2013

Mine was an Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz

(Which was the spec) > http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi_2g.xml

edited October 2013

Hahahahh, so I was 100% right this time ! I said they are waiting cancellations to give out servers and they do not invest in more and I was right...
    Only crap that people dump will be delivered from now on...
    Gee, who else wishes to say I am stupid and biased and OVH is good now ?

• @Maounique said:
    Hahahahh, so I was 100% right this time ! I said they are waiting cancellations to give out servers and they do not invest in more and I was right...

You need to calm down.

Thanked by 2ska coolnow
    edited October 2013

Well, the people that started to attack me and went as far as attacking prometeus when the offered appeared saying we will go out of business were not calm at all calling me butthurt and the like while trying to prove that at 3 Eur a month OVH turns out a profit..
    IIRC they mentioned you and Backupsy too, but I might be wrong here.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited October 2013

Guessing I must have been one of the last getting what I actually ordered. Are you guys able to check how long your disks have been powered on?

I ran something similar to 'smartctl -a /dev/sda1' Check '9 Power_On_Hours'

Mine is 2465 hours ~ 103 days.

• "Curioser and curioser!"

• @camarg Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz

• Calm down, Do you think the few people in this thread at the only people getting servers? They have thousands of orders. Of course they are going to recycle old servers but they are still deploying new servers as well. Just go look at the ovh forums/twitter.

Why do you still feel the need to reply to EVERY comment on this thread? OVH is not perfect but the people who did get a box are happy.

If you don't like them, that is fine. Stay out of the thread and actually go and do some work instead of spending every minute on this forum.

@Maounique said:

• Got mine today

Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D425 @ 1.80GHz

HD has power on hours of 1757, thats about 73 days

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@luma said:
    Stay out of the thread and actually go and do some work instead of spending every minute on this forum.

why? because you tell him?

This discussion has been closed.