Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month - Page 100
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server starting at 2.99 EUR / month

Comments

• OVH, they are not taking new orders for now.

OVH KILLS THE VPS SUMMER HOST INDUSTRY! NEWS AT 11!

• @Jack said:
    Oh no what will that sonweb guy do?

but what about darknessends.

• Oles said "And older servers find themselves too obsolete for sale."

The Semprons at Hetzner's serverbidding.com and the P4's at Leaseweb's Outlet Store refute that claim.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@Spirit said:
    Maounique never say something what you don't mean it! :)

Actually I mean it, I always had an issue expressing things in English, it takes too many words. If you can shorten it, I will take lessons :P

@DomainBop said:
    The Semprons at Hetzner's serverbidding.com and the P4's at Leaseweb's Outlet Store refute that claim.

Yeah, but those probably have a few only and they discount them heavily while they are already paid for now. What discount to apply at 4 Eur when the power, traffic and maintenance+parts are not covered at current price ?
    This stunt was doomed to fail from the assumption behind it to the implementation. They imagined they can get valuable customers with these prices and they were wrong. Uncle had last year a try it at 90% off and no customer from there stayed while the abuse was horrendous. We learned our lesson.

• @Maounique said:
    I always had an issue expressing things in English, it takes too many words.

I feel you bro :( We're pretty much in the same boat here.

• @MaoUnique : I too believed running a multi million dollar business was easy. I miss, I wanted a mSP and kimsufi badly for myself

• @Maounique said:
    I always had an issue expressing things in English, it takes too many words.

No prblm, u cn alws omt sm ltrs, but the sentence will still be easy to understand.

However yes, thinking in foreign language is always a challenge. Native one can't be surpassed anyway.

I agree with the rest of what you've said. No sense to lower prices if the product can't sustain the provider. We're still not having replicators in every house to cover the losses.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

When they sell Atom N2800 (2 cores 4 threads) for 4 EUR/mo, what price should they set for Atom 230 or Celeron 220 (1 core 1 thread) they still have loads of? But yeah, one can perhaps be somewhat creative with these. E.g. run a special offer with Celeron 220 CPU, but 2x1TB HDD. Many people will buy those for a storage server. And so on and so forth.

• @rm_ you are right, however they can't do it since the custom cases and PSUs they use for these tiny atoms can't support 2 HDDs. And it would be too expensive / not worth it to replace those.
    But then, who am i to know what's in their heads, when even they don't know :)

• Well, well, well...

First they limit the circle of customers a day after new Kimsufi starts, then delays begin (oh my! completely unforeseenable!), and now OVH isn't happy that people that pay 5-10 times as much as Kimsufi 2013 for servers that are much more inferior try to switch to new servers en mass.

Was that so difficult to expect? Loyal customers aren't those that will pay fortune for old hardware, losing support options etc etc etc, without switching providers. Loyalty should work both ways. Looks like OVH started (I hope) to understand that.

Let's see what follows. In any case, all the plans and promises to open the offer to all the world won't happen. Another epic fail Kimsufy 2013 history (JMNSHO). Angering really loyal customers that stayed with OVH for years wasn't definitely a good idea.

• Glad I got mine when I did :O Bit stupid of them to think everyone paying £10 a month wouldn't switch to the £3 machines that are the same spec...

• Still haven't received mine.
    I hope they won't regret their offer.

• @Maounique said:

All in all, it ends up well, OVH survives, learned a lesson, the scene is still rich and lively,

What if OVH does not survive? last report told me their debt is currently over $ 200 Million dollar on top of the finance 'expansion' debt they recently got for $190 million that matures in 24 months after they taken it out, That's a $390 million debt they need to service interest for and the program for structural EU funds they have tapped into for the last years to fuel growth has ended (as the program ends at the end of 2013). Just to put this in perspective: That means a $1705,- debt per single server they have currently in production (last claim was 170 000 production servers,

Part of that debt matures early next year and most of that debt (190 million of it) matures in 20 months from now, the rest in about 30 months from now.
    I think that OVH has to look for some debt refinancing,,,

• Damn, $390 million debt sounds like a serious thing. You can't finance this with 3EUR/month servers.

• They had over 200 million debt when they took out another 190 million that matures in only 2 years!
    http://www.ovh.com/us/a1112.ovh-com-190-millions-dollars

Well, let's say that from sure deadpool if they were continuing the same policy, now their chances got better, it looks like someone started to think there.
    They may not survive, it may happen to everyone, but I do not wish to sound too harsh because ppl think I am biased against them.
    To tell you the truth I expect OVH to be in serious trouble at the start of the new year and many castles of cards to fold around that time. There are interesting things ahead of us.

• If anyone has this server, and want to resell it, I am willing to pay via Paypal.

• @Swiftway said:

It's funny how someone IRL warned me about OVH almost going bankrupt when I was brand new to hosting. I shrugged because all I see was they were doing great business.

I guess he was right after all... :-/

• KupolKupol Member
    edited September 2013

They delivered Kimisufi from 2nd of August and after that they've stopped with the delivery or am I understanding the message above wrong? Are they going to cancel the rest of undelivered orders, if so this company is silly. It was nice while it lasted, I guess.

• @Kupol said:
    They delivered Kimisufi from 2nd of August and after that they've stopped with the delivery or am I understanding the message about wrong? Are they going to cancel the rest of undelivered orders, if so this company is silly. It was nice while it lasted, I guess.

As far as I know, they stopped accepting new orders, but promised to fulfil remaining pending ones.

@Frost said:
    I guess he was right after all... :-/

You can be sure the facilities they built will find a buyer, the banks will be desperate to get out of the dedi bubble, google, microsoft and others sitting on piles of cash may get themselves new datacenters at pennies, IF OVH and others go belly up.

• Godaddy had more than $1B debt when they have sold, so what ? Every investment firm will be happy to buy a pie like OVH.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2013

I have serious doubts that OVH is going to go belly-up.. They wouldn't have invested in a huge North American expansion if their finances were dire. That have large physical assets and I'm sure a world-wide customer base.

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@nunim said:
    I have serious doubts that OVH is going to go belly-up.. They wouldn't have invested in a huge North American expansion if their finances were dire. That have large physical assets and I'm sure a world-wide customer base.

Not only that, they're also a telecom company in France providing DSL and phonelines to quite a good share of customers. They should make some pennies that can be used for cross-subsidisation besides having physical assets.

• Looks like one has just to wait and see what follows.

Facts are OVH once again changes its plans and discards whatever expectations/promises it mentioned, just because - surprise! - OVH couldn't foresee some obvious consequences of its certain decisions. So, as far as I see, those expecting Kimsufi 2013 for the entire world can stop holding their breath and attend to something really important.

Owners of older dedicated servers started to switch to newer and more capable ones which cost less. Let's see how that old hardware (lots of it) be utilized.

@Master_Bo said:
    Looks like one has just to wait and see what follows.

Facts are OVH once again changes its plans and discards whatever expectations/promises it mentioned, just because - surprise! - OVH couldn't foresee some obvious consequences of its certain decisions. So, as far as I see, those expecting Kimsufi 2013 for the entire world can stop holding their breath and attend to something really important.

Owners of older dedicated servers started to switch to newer and more capable ones which cost less. Let's see how that old hardware (lots of it) be utilized.

Nobody contested that OVH is a viable business, but the huge amount of debt they took means they are somewhat at the mercy of the banks. If the banks will decide to withdraw financing there will be a problem. Given the way they are behaving in public I would be very worried as a bank.

About the promises they made and went back on, that is nothing new, however, the rate at which this happens lately is new indeed.

I wouldnt worry about the old hardware, at 4 Eur a month I will take a one core 430 without problems, it is not like I would have used it for anything else than storage with iSCSI or similar. Any R Pi will do for that.

• Ordered my ks2g Aug 5th. Still waiting.

Weren't the last of these to be delivered by end of September? Or has that changed since they stopped taking orders on everything?

I am not sure, they promised repeatedly they will be delivered increasing waiting period necessary each time. I suspect they are waiting for cancellations/reasons to kick people to free up more machines as it looks they do not wish/cannot invest more in hardware for them.

• Got fed up and called them. Lots of orders remaining to be fulfilled. Won't be happening in the next 10 days. I've seen houses being built quicker than this.

• Owners of older dedicated servers started to switch to newer and more capable ones which cost less.

Guilty. OVH i5-2400 16GB RAM, 50 euro monthly replaced with OVH E3-1245v2 32GB RAM, 40 euro monthly. [OVH server ordered August 6th, delivered September 4th]

since they stopped taking orders on everything?...

...I've looked elsewhere for replacements. OVH i3-3240 8GB RAM, 30 euro monthly, replaced with SeFlow i7-2600K 16GB RAM 2x240GB SSD, 35.10 euro monthly last Saturday morning. [SeFlow server delivered 11 hours after ordering on a Saturday. The server IP address I received was on Spamhaus SBL but SeFlow had it removed from the SBL within an hour of my opening a ticket...which might be a record time for getting an IP removed from a Spamhaus SBL.]

TL;DR I saved some money, upgraded my servers, and received support within minutes not days. Thank you Oles! :P

This discussion has been closed.