Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo Review ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo Review ?

anyone have experience with Contabo VPS ? why they are very cheap :O

Comments

• With a Google search, you'd come on reviews shouting to stay away, oversold and other shitz

• Contrary to others I had a somewhat good experience with them.
    Check my review https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/107757/contabo-review-vps-m-ssd

• In short IT SUCKS

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2017

It depends on what are you going to do with this vps. I am pretty pleased with the vps I have with. It's KVM, I have installed proxmox in it and created 5-6 containers, one large that is being used as a backup server and some small for light tasks like occasionally icecast server, a remote linux desktop (used for specific tasks some times per month) and some others.
    I do not host critical projects in it, so, I do not know the exact uptime of the server. But for my usages is more than OK, compared to the price I pay.
    Now, if you want to host live websites on it with no margin for any downtime at all or you are waiting for top-notch performance, maybe contabo would not be an ideal solution...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jvnadr said:
    It depends on what are you going to do with this vps. I am pretty pleased with the vps I have with. It's KVM, I have installed proxmox in it and created 5-6 containers, one large that is being used as a backup server and some small for light tasks like occasionally icecast server, a remote linux desktop (used for specific tasks some times per month) and some others.
    I do not host critical projects in it, so, I do not know the exact uptime of the server. But for my usages is more than OK, compared to the price I pay.
    Now, if you want to host live websites on it with no margin for any downtime at all or you are waiting for top-notch performance, maybe contabo would not be an ideal solution...

I was worried of backup safety coming from different sources from ssh. Would creating containers be ideal choice?

• I have two VPS-M and one VPS-L,
    I use this plans for my live projects. Working great!

• It Is Okayish

• jetchirag said: I was worried of backup safety coming from different sources from ssh. Would creating containers be ideal choice?

I am not sure I understand your concerns...
    I use keys for the communication of the two servers. There are two scenarios: if you use backup server to communicate to your original one, then, there is always the danger if the backup server is hacked, the hacker gain access to the main server.
    If the main server is communicating (and sending the backup), then, in case the main server is hacked, the hacker could theoretically gain access to all of the backup servers.
    Do you have concerns if Contabo is safe enough as vps to be used as a backup server? Well, it's KVM, you can encrypt it, secure it, do several things to prevent it. It would be as safe as in any other virtual machine. Creating containers via proxmox would not really give you much more protection. For me, it's just a contenarization to be able to work with different usages of the big contabo vm and utilize better the available sources (cpu, memory, HDD).