Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone use Server4you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone use Server4you?

Any review about Server4you?
Has interest price.

Comments

• I would advise to pick providers that are active here if you want to search for a vps here.

But server4you idk I don't know them

• had a VPS there a couple years ago. It was horrible.
    They are now a part of HostEurope and that could have improved their service

• WickedWicked Member
    edited August 2017

Horr

ible

• I once had same doubt as you do, and I did some searching, also post here asking around.
    But thing is they have bad reputation here, and presume extremely oversold to have that specs and price.

If you looking for DE provider for VPS, I suggest netcup

• I used them for many years and their support was vary varied. I had servers in both locations they had at the time and would certainly not recommend their US location, unless that's changed.

In most cases they were very forthcoming and helpful, ranging from things like free months for a four hour interruption to free setup for late server delivery (four days instead of 24h). However, the best experience I ever had with them was a hardware failure on Christmas eve. Drive died, was replaced, restored from backup. 3 hours. Was impressed.

• mkshmksh Member

Be sure to scrunitize their site for fineprint. I have not looked at them in ages but i still remember the bad taste their trap like offers left me with. Maybe they changed but i'd still rather avoid them.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Use them, I'm a fan. Have two dedis and two VPS. Great performance and uptime. Haven't needed their support so clueless on that.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • @jarland said:
    Use them, I'm a fan. Have two dedis and two VPS. Great performance and uptime. Haven't needed their support so clueless on that.

Thanks for sharing. If I buy a server or vps from them I will not need support. And the nice thing about them is that Plesk/Onyx control panel is included for free!

So for me the important thing is performance and uptime. Can anyone share any benchmarks?

• Keep in mind that they have no IPv6

• jarland said: Use them, I'm a fan. Have two dedis and two VPS. Great performance and uptime. Haven't needed their support so clueless on that.

Interesting! You are a client since... when? It's well possible that they have improved after the HostEurope takeover, but they were absolutely horrible around 3 years ago.

@3606202 said:

jarland said: Use them, I'm a fan. Have two dedis and two VPS. Great performance and uptime. Haven't needed their support so clueless on that.

Interesting! You are a client since... when? It's well possible that they have improved after the HostEurope takeover, but they were absolutely horrible around 3 years ago.

On Aug 20 it'll be exactly 4 months. Not so long that I can say they're hands down the best, but long enough that they can't be anything close to the most incompetent I've come across ;)

Thanked by 23606202 lazyt
  • So they obviously improved. Good to know - they would have been my very last choice, based on my past experience.

• Be very careful about whats included and what not, e.g. What size the Plesk license is as this seems relevant to you.
    I haven't been paying attention to them for years but in earlier times they always had stuff cost extra unexpectedly. Which is why I never went there.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

@jarland, are their VPS based on KVM or OVZ?

• @Shazan said:

@jarland said:

@jarland, are their VPS based on KVM or OVZ?

OpenVZ. I have a few with them too.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • Can anyone with a VPS there, share a speed bench? Want to see how their network performs before buy. Thanks!

• fLoofLoo Member

I'm from germany, home country of s4u. Noone likes them over here. Absolutely ridiculous bad customer service, only 1 IP per server, no extra ips, VPS has super bad IOPs and are highly limited in every aspect.

I highly suggest you to NOT go with s4u and choose netcup instead!

• @fLoo said:
    I'm from germany, home country of s4u. Noone likes them over here. Absolutely ridiculous bad customer service, only 1 IP per server, no extra ips, VPS has super bad IOPs and are highly limited in every aspect.

I highly suggest you to NOT go with s4u and choose netcup instead!

you might want to consider that after a change in ownership (it's hosteurope now) things hopefully have changed. I know they have a long history of being called out for bad service and such and it most likely is very hard to get over that odd reputation anyways.

yet one should be fair to give the new owners a chance to make things better by not only relying on the same old news over and over ;-)

that said, I'd be interested in fresh reviews/benchmarks too.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited August 2017

Falzo said: that said, I'd be interested in fresh reviews/benchmarks too.

Here a benchmark just for you.

-------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2017.06.01 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2017-08-11 12:43:10 UTC

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5520  @ 2.27GHz
    CPU cores:    2
    Frequency:    2266.646 MHz
    RAM:          4.0G
    Swap:         
    Kernel:       Linux 3.10.0-042stab120.20 x86_64

Disks:
    ploop59006p1    100G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        4.428 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        9.769 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        4.022 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 72.0 us / 651.3 us / 4.76 ms / 550.0 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 1.66 k requests in 5.00 s, 415.2 MiB, 332 iops, 83.0 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    522.61 MiB/s
        2nd run:    473.02 MiB/s
        3rd run:    507.35 MiB/s
        average:    501.00 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    188.138.61.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         87.14 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        34.92 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   5.77 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      67.73 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         10.35 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

Geekbench https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3672432

Didn't know you can still get vps with a 8 years old E5520 as the cpu.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@Razza said:
    Didn't know you can still get vps with a 8 years old E5520 as the cpu.

Doesn't look bad anyway, IO and network seem very good.

edited August 2017

Here's a bench.sh run from the VPS that I'm using to develop MXroute's in-house control panel ;)

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5520  @ 2.27GHz
    CPU Cores   : 2
    Frequency   : 2266.823 MHz
    Memory      : 4096 MB
    Swap        :  MB
    Uptime      : 54 days, 4:51,
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 3.10.0-042stab123.1

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    77.0MB/s

Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   58.7MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   28.7MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   29.2MB/s
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   6.55MB/s

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      10.3MB/s
    Singapore       Softlayer   6.97MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     4.61MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    60.8MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 516 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 542 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 511 MB/s
    Average I/O : 523 MB/s

It is OpenVZ because I see /proc/vz and venet.

• I had multiple dedis with s4y but years ago (10 years or so) and my experiences were quite positive.

Explanation: a) I don't need much support b) s4y was (at least then) the place to get cheap dedis with reasonable resources. I remember them being usually about 1/3 cheaper than competitors (at roughly the same quality/service).

From what I read here I guess that there was a bad phase of some years between then and now.

• jarland said: Here's a bench.sh run from the VPS that I'm using to develop MXroute's in-house control panel ;)

On their website says that all VPSs are limited to a 100Mbps network. So how can you get that kind of numbers? It seems a 1Gbps connection.

• @jarland said: It is OpenVZ because I see /proc/vz and venet.

Must be OpenVZ 7 then because it's running on kernel 3.10

• thank you all for your review...but there is someone now is client? Not only review years, and years ago.

• cwebme said: but there is someone now is client? Not only review years, and years ago.

@jarland is (see above) and he seems happy.

Just had to use their support for the first time so thought I'd share. Dedicated server was down, not sure why. I don't really care why, it's not an important server right now and I told them as much.

Ticket opened: Aug 14, 2017 6:58:47 PM
    Resolved: Aug 14, 2017 8:38:02 PM

No complaints about that.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • That's indeed nothing to complain about!

• Had a dedicated server with them a couple years back and one of the drives in the RAID was bad. Asked them to clone the matrix for the RAID and replace the HDD in order for the server to work normally, but they refused asking me to take out all my data from the server so that they can replace the HDD's with empty ones and then I was supposed to reinstall/reconfigure everything over again so I moved away from them since it was not something I was keen on doing.
    If I take the data out, I might as well find a better provider with not so cheap and lousy hardware right?
    Anyways, I read above that they are now part of HostEurope and HostEurope became part of GoDaddy earlier this year so it sounds like things got worse, attitude wise.

• HxxxHxxx Member

The cloning part was your job tho @Malin .

Next time pay maybe the triple for a managed provider :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider