Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch has just introduced NVMe dedicated CPU KVM servers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch has just introduced NVMe dedicated CPU KVM servers

Comments

• RizRiz Member

^

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

bersy said: I propose to add a couple of small features: SSH keys and password access disabling right in the Panel. Any emergency & VNC access, self IPv4 & v6 rDNS assignment?

noVNC console and self IPv4 and v6 reverse DNS are already available in the new panel. SSH keys with disabled password access is still a few months away. The feedback is really appreciated :)

As for the 512 MB VMs, these are unlikely - since we dedicate CPU to each VM, and these plans will end up with a guaranteed 12.5% of a core, which is fine as long as you know exactly what you are doing with your optimizations, but a lot of people won't.

We might end up making the 1 GB plan available for less than the yearly cycle though :)

• @Abdullah said:
    We might end up making the 1 GB plan available for less than the yearly cycle though :)

My ears just opened, when can we expect this?

Thanked by 1Syerate
  • Custom ISO uploading does not work (yet)?

• @vimalware said:

Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 174MB/s

for people new to leaseweb's Anycast mirror, that's probably from their US DC(Washington?)

It's not anycast ;) It's geo-balanced

Thanked by 1vimalware

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@Abdullah said:

My ears just opened, when can we expect this?

We have to manage capacity so it will be a while but <1 month from now (I hope) :)

@Shot2 said:
    Custom ISO uploading does not work (yet)?

It works fine but we need some better errors to present to users. Right now it's mostly "something went wrong, please try again later". The biggest issue we see are users uploading via links that are not actually direct and are redirecting. For example, the official Debian link (https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-9.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso) will redirect you to the closest mirror. It works fine in your browser but it is not a direct URL and will not work.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited August 2017

It works fine but we need some better errors to present to users. Right now it's mostly "something went wrong, please try again later". The biggest issue we see are users uploading via links that are not actually direct and are redirecting. For example, the official Debian link (https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-9.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso) will redirect you to the closest mirror. It works fine in your browser but it is not a direct URL and will not work.

Nope, does not work for me, with or without redirects. Even a self-hosted mini.iso can't be loaded from my own server's IP running apache...
    Doesn't matter, was able to install a clean OS by running the ubuntu mini.iso setup within qemu within the mounted debian installer running in Rescue/Shell mode - by using the "old" SolusVM control panel (which has many more functions than the new pwetty but neutered one, 'coz I don't give a sh*t about some neat UI when I can't do whatever task I need with it, ergonomics 101)

@Shot2 said:
    Nope, does not work for me, with or without redirects. Even a self-hosted mini.iso can't be loaded from my own server's IP running apache...
    Doesn't matter, was able to install a clean OS by running the ubuntu mini.iso setup within qemu within the mounted debian installer running in Rescue/Shell mode - by using the "old" SolusVM control panel (which has many more functions than the new pwetty but neutered one, 'coz I don't give a sh*t about some neat UI when I can't do whatever task I need with it, ergonomics 101)

Are you on our old KVM plans by any chance? Should have clarified that it is not enabled on all old nodes.

I was only answering your previous question that the custom ISO does indeed work and isn't a future feature (since you said yet). I'm sorry it isn't working for you but you can always contact support and get an explanation within a few minutes.

Would be great to get your feedback on what else you need in the new interface (the KVM feature set is mostly complete).

edited August 2017

Update:

We've updated the errors, so you will see an actual helpful error instead of "something went wrong" (99% of the time). We've also disabled custom ISO for old KVM-SSD customers, the section is grayed out and shows this: http://imgur.com/UhVG8Gj

I would still like to follow up on my earlier question though - what extra features do you see in the old interface that you do not see now? All the features that users need access to are now available in the new interface. Some features (VGA acceleration, disk drivers, etc) aren't though, and there is a reason for that.

We spent months on testing lots of different configurations (benchmarks and stress testing by simulating user load by spawning a large amount of VMs with different applications to make sure we crash everything we can crash and resolve it before going into production). We put in a lot of custom configuration for both performance and reliability. Unlike most providers (even some apparently 'premium' OnApp clouds - no pointing fingers) - we do not use the default kernel and QEMU version that comes along with CentOS (and SolusVM/Virtualizor), and this was done after testing every combination possible with a lot of custom changes to VM configuration files and a large period of stress tests and benchmarks. Otherwise we could have started selling these plans back in February when we had the hardware racked in each location.

For example, we now force VirtIO from the VM's configuration file (and a lot of other stuff, but this is just an example). So if you set your disk driver to ide (which is still possible from the old interface), your VM will no longer boot. We'll be disabling access to the old interface soon, so I would really like to hear what you feel is missing in the new UI and I will make sure it gets added. You can email me at abdullah@ if you would like.

Finally - the 1 GB plan is now available for monthly billing cycle ($2.5 per month) in Amsterdam. The same RAM promotion is available on it (additional 512 MB RAM for one time fee of $3 USD). It may go back to yearly only depending on our available capacity though so please get yours soon. (note: Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9 templates do not work on these plans, you need to either upgrade them from a previous version if you are installing from the templates, or install them from an ISO manually).

(sorry for the big wall of text) :)

Thanked by 4bersy uptime noqqkk Aidan
  • Alrighty then! Got in on the 1GB monthly, that looks like a sweet deal even before the bonus 512 MB. Kudos on the super smooth minimalist user experience for ordering - am looking forward to seeing the rest of your new control panel in action when I get some time to setup the VPS.

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • TomTom Member

@Abdullah said:

Finally - the 1 GB plan is now available for monthly billing cycle ($2.5 per month) in Amsterdam.

Picked one up ;-) any plans for the monthly in Sweden? Also what DC are you in in AMS? Need to satisfy my host name needs ;-)

The same RAM promotion is available on it (additional 512 MB RAM for one time fee of $3 USD).

Do I have to open a ticket?

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • TomTom Member
    edited August 2017

@Abdullah little thing I noticed is all your drop downs on mobile look like they accept a text input and are a little bit buggy. See here: http://imgur.com/a/fqg6Q - not as buggy here but on the country drop down it took me a couple of minutes to actually make it select UK ;-)

Edit: I can signup with + in my email but can't change to a + in my email

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • Tom said: Also what DC are you in in AMS

https://hosthatch.com/features#datacenters

Thanked by 2Tom hosthatch
  • @Abdullah
    One info lacking (although relatively easy to guess) is the gateway for IPv4 and v6 - useful when doing a custom install from scratch.

Thanked by 2Tom hosthatch

@uptime said:
    Alrighty then! Got in on the 1GB monthly, that looks like a sweet deal even before the bonus 512 MB. Kudos on the super smooth minimalist user experience for ordering - am looking forward to seeing the rest of your new control panel in action when I get some time to setup the VPS.

Thank you - let me know what you think and if you want to see something more/else :)

@Tom said:

Picked one up ;-) any plans for the monthly in Sweden? Also what DC are you in in AMS? Need to satisfy my host name needs ;-)

Monthly in Sweden should be soon. LA will be last. You can see some more info on the DC at https://www.peeringdb.com/fac/1236

The same RAM promotion is available on it (additional 512 MB RAM for one time fee of $3 USD).

Do I have to open a ticket?

Yes please.

little thing I noticed is all your drop downs on mobile look like they accept a text input and are a little bit buggy. See here: http://imgur.com/a/fqg6Q

Would it be possible to get your phone OS/browser/versions? Couldn't replicate the issue on our side. We did make some changes today to make mobile better though - hid the flags for better performance and increased width for ease of use.

Edit: I can signup with + in my email but can't change to a + in my email

Also can't replicate this. Tried both account creation and email change and it worked fine.

Shot2 said: One info lacking (although relatively easy to guess) is the gateway for IPv4 and v6 - useful when doing a custom install from scratch.

Agreed - this will be added tomorrow.

• TomTom Member

Abdullah said: Would it be possible to get your phone OS/browser/versions? Couldn't replicate the issue on our side. We did make some changes today to make mobile better though - hid the flags for better performance and increased width for ease of use.

>

Sure sure - iOS 10, Safari - I can go into more detail over PM if you wish, just shoot me one. I'll check how it looks now.

Every single one of your emails (except invoice payment confirmation) being eaten up by my spam filter, btw. Sendgrid doesn't look too good on the ol' blacklists.

Abdullah said: Also can't replicate this. Tried both account creation and email change and it worked fine.

>

Let me double check and I'll get back to you.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

Might want to fix this...

• TomTom Member

@Rhys said:
    Might want to fix this...

So that's why my email hates Hosthatch. e_e

Yeah we're aware of that - we've sent one marketing email in the last 2 years to our registered user database including an unsubscribe link and it wasn't sent to anyone who opted out of marketing emails or closed accounts. It wasn't spam and it certainly wasn't sent to any paid-lists, etc. This was the email about Falcon and the new NVMe plans. I'm working on getting this delisted obviously.

Your email issue is unlikely to be related to this since you received the invoice payment confirmation email (we use SendGrid for some emails and Mandrill for some). Our email reachability is still fine to providers like gmail.

And it's delisted now. We had to add the following to our privacy policy:

Active accounts (active paid service) will receive emails relating to their active services, including maintenance, support, invoices and so on. Active accounts will also receive marketing material we deem related to the active service, these emails can be disabled from your profile or simply by clicking the unsubscribe link at the end of them.

Inactive accounts (previously active, now canceled service) will receive emails only regarding support tickets that are opened through the account. Inactive accounts will also receive marketing material we deem related to the canceled service, these emails can be disabled from your profile or simply by clicking the unsubscribe link at the end of them.

Closed accounts (previously paid service, now canceled and account closed) will not receive any emails from us. These accounts are only kept for record of previous services and invoices.

Looking around, there is only a small percentage of providers here who have such a clause in their terms. Anyone who does not have it is basically sending spam according to Spamhaus standards since the user never agreed
    to receiving any announcements/newsletters/marketing emails or the like.

Lesson learned for us.

Thanked by 1Riz
  • Became a big fan of Hosthatch after very kindly and fast support. I will buy VMs later.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Bookmarked! Will grab one soon the next week!

• Any one with HostHatch more than 6 months?

• @cyberpersons said:
    Any one with HostHatch more than 6 months?

I'm since August 2015

• mexyul said: I'm since August 2015

Any problem so far?

• @mexyul said:

@cyberpersons said:

I'm since August 2015

How is uptime and support, and what are you using them for?

@Shot2 said:
    One info lacking (although relatively easy to guess) is the gateway for IPv4 and v6 - useful when doing a custom install from scratch.

This is now added. You will see the netmask and gateway for both IPv4 and v6 under the network tab.

Thanked by 2vimalware Shot2
  • ah, I cancelled an idle dediserve, only for this siren to call out to me immediately. :D

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • @Windmm said:

mexyul said: I'm since August 2015

Any problem so far?

My vps got suspended when running wp & mybb forum with only 50-100 daily UV. But they quickly unsuspend it after i submit ticket. But after i reinstall it for some day they suspend it again without any explanation.

@cyberpersons said:

@mexyul said:

@cyberpersons said:

I'm since August 2015

How is uptime and support, and what are you using them for?

Because of that i keep it idling and sometime use it only for tunneling, but i can say their support is good.

@mexyul said:

@Windmm said:

mexyul said: I'm since August 2015

Any problem so far?

My vps got suspended when running wp & mybb forum with only 50-100 daily UV. But they quickly unsuspend it after i submit ticket. But after i reinstall it for some day they suspend it again without any explanation.

X amount of resources can handle Y amount of hits is a myth unfortunately. A bad installation (plugins, exploits, etc) will cause load, regardless of the hits your site is getting. Any host using OpenVZ would do the same to protect other users on the node.

On the other hand, these NVMe servers come with 100% dedicated resources - so you will never get suspended by us. The worst case scenario is that you will keep crashing your own VPS without affecting other users.