Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Location
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Location

sijie123sijie123 Member

Hi LET!
I'm thinking of getting a new VPS, and since hosting is cheapest is US, I'm thinking of getting a US server (most likely from RamNode or ChicagoVPS). The issue is that I live in Asia - to be exact: Singapore. Which location(s) are best in terms of UL/DL speed?
My local ISP is M1 Limited, if that helps.
I am picking up some discussions on peering but I really don't get how those things work (Wikipedia isn't very helpful either). Like why does it even make a difference across the US? Isn't the latency still as bad?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

To asia, typically a West coast location. Example: LA

• California is great. Los Angeles and San Jose are good examples. The difference is distance and where it peers. Most of the Asia connections are in these places, hence it is the fastest hub.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Welcome sijie123. If you are in Singapore, the next best option is definitely West Coast in USA. UL/DL speed really depends on the network routes. You might want to run some test file on the providers that you are targetting to purchase from.

Since you are on M1, I guess you are on their Fiber broadband?

Thanked by 1sijie123
  • Thanks @Fliphost @concerto49 and @ExpertVM
    I'm probably looking at Seattle - it's closer to West Coast than Atlanta and RamNode, which I intend to purchase from, only offers VPSes in these 2 locations. Any comments?

@ExpertVM said:
    Since you are on M1, I guess you are on their Fiber broadband?

Yup I am on 100Mbps Fibre, and probably one of the bigger issues is their throttle to US/International during peak hours :(

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited July 2013

Latency from singapore to seattle ramnode is ~190ms, here are their test ips, so you can do a latency test yourself: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=17

E: for a speedtest look here: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=18

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited July 2013
    BitAccel (LA-Quadranet) @Corey : 175-180ms from Singapore, 7.51MB/s
    CloudShards ( LA-Multacom) @concerto49 : 173-176ms from Singapore, 6.98MB/s
    ChicagoVPS (LA-ColoCrosssing) @CVPS_Chris : 172-180ms from Singapore, 360KB/s
    BlueVM (LA-ColoCrossing) @BlueVM : 185-196ms from Singapore,  7.08MB/s

These are my recommendations with ping and download speed from Singapore taken from my benchmarks

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

Based on the numbers peppr just quoted we would either be the cheapest or close to it...

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@sijie123 - if you want to try out @BlueVM, you could buy the spare credit that I have ($2.26 for $1.50) and check them out for a few months. Both @BlueVM and CloudShards look good for you, with CloudShards looking slightly ahead in terms of ping.

• Why not just go ahead with Singapore server? Check OneAsiaHost out i quite impressed with their services.

• @Netxons said:
    Why not just go ahead with Singapore server? Check OneAsiaHost out i quite impressed with their services.

My budget is extremely low since I only require little usage. Isn't it weird paying like 40 bucks for a sever that is idle >90% of the time? That's why I choose for the real low end us vps since I really only need the barebones

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

@sijie123 said:
    My budget is extremely low since I only require little usage. Isn't it weird paying like 40 bucks for a sever that is idle >90% of the time? That's why I choose for the real low end us vps since I really only need the barebones

EDIS in HK? A bit better to Singapore than west U.S. I think.

• If you don't need low latency or high speeds, stay away from Asia hosting. It's still nowhere near US/EU prices so it makes sense to host in US/EU.

Note: High speed (bandwidth) != large data transfer allocation . :)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

RansomIT plans based in Adelaide (South Australia) might interest you. Latency to Singapore is quite good via Perth (under 150ms).

I have one LEB offer available now (http://www.ransomit.com.au/leb_offers) but if you want something customised feel free to email me: service at ransomit.com.au

• Dear all, thanks for your replies! It's so heartwarming to be in such a nice community :)
    I've already purchased my VPS (not disclosing from who and where the server is located), so admins may close this thread already!

Thanks everyone!

This discussion has been closed.