Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS attacked by bot / bruteforce
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS attacked by bot / bruteforce

today my cpu load is higher than average, and a lot access to my whmcs clientarea login

i have activated mod security and imunify360 but not much help, they are a lot IPs bruteforcing my whmcs

any idea to stop this?

Thanked by 1marl

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

.htaccess

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

combination of htaccess + csf = does good trick to protect software from attacks.

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

If you have root access Fail2ban or CSV Portflood will do the job of stopping a bruteforce attack. Like said above you can block those IPs via .htaccess.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited August 2017

Block access to WHMCS from all IPs, except your own, with .htaccess

If your IP is not static:

• Get a VPS and use it as VPN to access your WHMCS, and block all other ips.

OR

• Use the first example, but When/If your ip changes, update the allowed IP at .htaccess

If your website is behind something like cloudflare, make sure you are getting the real user's IP.

• RHCHostingRHCHosting Member, Host Rep

Get CSF asap and also use bruteforce detection (CPHulk) - Those 2 will help you a LOT!! If you need configuration help, let us know. I'm sure any of use here, will be able to provide free advice!! Good luck :-)

• @vovler said:

OR

• Use the first example, but When/If your ip changes, update the allowed IP at .htaccess

If your website is behind something like cloudflare, make sure you are getting the real user's IP.

Are customers going to login from mars?

• @jetchirag said:

@vovler said:
    [bla bla]

Well spoken.

But: I'm afraid wifi connectivity on mars is poor.

Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL
  • bsdguy said: But: I'm afraid wifi connectivity on mars is poor.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited August 2017

@jetchirag said:

@vovler said:

OR

Wait, are we talking about the WHMCS admin panel or regular whmcs login? ooops

Can't you just add recaptcha to it?

• @vovler said:

@jetchirag said:

@vovler said:

OR

Wait, are we talking about the WHMCS admin panel or regular whmcs login? ooops

Can't you just add recaptcha to it?

my problem is clientarea login, not admin login.
    how to add recaptcha on client area login?

• idras said: my problem is clientarea login, not admin login. how to add recaptcha on client area login?

Setup >> General Settings, selecting the Security tab, choosing the reCAPTCHA Captcha Type radio button, and entering the public and private keys supplied by Google

• idrasidras Member
    edited August 2017

@jetchirag said:

idras said: my problem is clientarea login, not admin login. how to add recaptcha on client area login?

Setup >> General Settings, selecting the Security tab, choosing the reCAPTCHA Captcha Type radio button, and entering the public and private keys supplied by Google

captcha is only on domain search, not on client login.
    i have activated it before

• @idras said:

@jetchirag said:

idras said: my problem is clientarea login, not admin login. how to add recaptcha on client area login?

captcha is only on domain search, not on client login.
    i have activated it before

How many ips try to brute force, try to bock it 1 by 1 or in subnet range with .htacess

• lnx1001lnx1001 Member
    edited August 2017

Bruteforce attempts are super common, you have bots and botnets scouring the web looking for a vulnerable server/wordpress/cpanel/whmcs/etc at all hours every day of the year every year. This is the most common thing ever. My new server just had 600+ SSH login attempts before I even had a chance to change the SSH port. It is just a cost of running a server.

As others mentioned, CSF is critical. CSF is super easy to install, get that ASAP. Adjust CSF config file to your liking. I keep a larger IP pool than it says. Also CPHulk helps too if you are on cpanel. But watch out because CPHulk can lock you out of your server if you aren't careful. e.g. you changed your root pass and forgot to update filzilla, then you logged into filezilla and guess what, cphulk banned your IP. Only way in is through a different IP then, you can then use a VPN or your cell phone data plan to get in from another IP. Tor works too although more dangerous.

• CSF and CPHULK together can fight with bruteforce in an effective way. You may block the range of IP's, if they are from a specific country. In firewall, you may also set a connection limit from same ip like, if any particular IP has established more that 100 connections on a particular port then it will be blocked by firewall for the next few hours.

• I setup two factor authentication using Duo. PM me if you need help setting this up.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited August 2017

How to avoid 99.99% of brute force attacks 99.99% of the time: Disable SSH.

(There's always a chance that your VPS will be exploited)

It sounds insane, but that's exactly what I did, considering most of my providers already provided a method to log on anyway. If the provider is competent, they'll have secured the control panel properly, which means you can just access your VPS via VNC/console.

The above is extreme, so if you do want to keep SSH online, go with what @WebHostingNinja said, and use 2FA. Next to impossible to guess a OTP, let alone a click on an app.

• Shutdown

• Sorry, but. If you don't know how to react in a brute-force case...

You should pay a technician to do your server stuff instead of selling servers.

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • Enable Two factor authentication for the client by following this link :- https://docs.whmcs.com/Security_Modules

• WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

@MrFunken said:
    Sorry, but. If you don't know how to react in a brute-force case...

You should pay a technician to do your server stuff instead of selling servers.

My thoughts exactly! What the hell are you doing selling hosting and servers if you don't even know the absolute basics of server security? Oy...summer is almost over.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    How to avoid 99.99% of brute force attacks 99.99% of the time: Disable SSH.

(There's always a chance that your VPS will be exploited)

It sounds insane, but that's exactly what I did, considering most of my providers already provided a method to log on anyway. If the provider is competent, they'll have secured the control panel properly, which means you can just access your VPS via VNC/console.

The above is extreme, so if you do want to keep SSH online, go with what @WebHostingNinja said, and use 2FA. Next to impossible to guess a OTP, let alone a click on an app.

More like just change your SSH port from 22 to a different uncommon port. That would eliminate 99% of brute force attacks.

• @王大佬 said:
    Shutdown

the most stupid answer