Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Website not accessible by domain but IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Website not accessible by domain but IP

aliletalilet Member

Hi,

So installed nginx on my VPS which created a test page. For DNS I am using afraid.org and on top of that cloudflare.com (free plan) i.e. my domain nameservers are set to CloudFlare name servers which in turn sends request to afraid.org where I have created A Record pointing to my VPS IP.

Up until two days ago my site was working fine from domain name for e.g. if you type www.testing.com then it would open the test nginx page.

But since yesterday it is not accessible by domain. CloudFlare shows that standard error page that the site is down but the site opens when I enter VPS IP in browser.

I logged into afraid.org and CloudFlare and they both say my domain is active and enabled.

I wonder what happened and how to diagnose this issue?

I don't remember doing anything to server except changing VPS name which I think shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Check your dns records for a start. https://intodns.com

• Info from intodns.com looks ok to me except may be following:

DNS Parent sent Glue

The parent nameserver is not sending out GLUE for every nameservers listed, meaning he is sending out your nameservers host names without sending the A records of those nameservers. It's ok but you have to know that this will require an extra A lookup that can delay a little the connections to your site. This happens a lot if you have nameservers on different TLD (domain.com for example with nameserver ns.domain.org.)

Glue for NS records

INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS records. The nameservers without glue are:
    You can fix this for example by adding A records to your nameservers for the zones listed above.

SOA Serial

Your SOA serial number is: 2025360051. This can be ok if you know what you are doing.

MX Records

Oh well, I did not detect any MX records so you probably don't have any and if you know you should have then they may be missing at your nameservers!

WWW A Record

Your www.testing.com A record is:
    www.testing.com [some cloudflare IP] [some cloudflare IP]

• I will replace cloudflare nameservers with afraid.org nameservers and then see what happens.

• How does Cloudflare send a request to Afraid?

• aliletalilet Member
    edited August 2017

@cassa said:
    How does Cloudflare send a request to Afraid?

I went to CloudFlare and created account. Then it asked me to enter domain so they can scan it. Once scanning was done they asked me to change nameservers of my domain to theirs which I did. Then after some hours I tested the domain in browser and it was working fine.

Before that I was using afraid.org nameservers as I had created A Record there.

• You can't use two nameserver hosting at once, can you?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

alilet said: Then after some hours I tested the domain in browser and it was working fine.

Could have still been cached (dns) and thats why it was still working.

• @jetchirag said:
    You can't use two nameserver hosting at once, can you?

Currently I am only using CloudFlare NSs but A Record is created at Afraid.

• aliletalilet Member
    edited August 2017

@rsk said:

alilet said: Then after some hours I tested the domain in browser and it was working fine.

Probably. Because I was also wondering at first how CloudFlare is able to send request to afraid.org but I thought may be when they scanned the domain, they were able to read current nameservers which were ns1.afraid.org and ns2.afraid.org and then told me to change to theirs.

Here's how it all happened.

1. I went to CF to add domain. They scanned and gave error that no nameserver is associated with it (or something like that). At this stage I have not registered with Afraid.
    2. I then went to Afraid and add A Records for my domain pointing to VPS IP.
    3. Then I went to domain control panel and update Afraid nameservers.
    4. Waited for DNS propagation
    5. Then I went to CF to add domain again. This time they scanned and showed success message and told me to replace those NSs with theirs which I did. At this stage I though CF has already noted Afraid's NSs and they will forward request to them automatically.
    6. I waited few hours and then opened site in browser which opened.
    7. Then I went to my VPS, disallowed all incoming connections using ufw and then tried to open site again. This time I got error from CloudFlare that the server is down.
    8. I then enabled incoming connections again and tried to open and it worked.

So this is how I came to know that everything is working.

• @alilet said:

@jetchirag said:
    You can't use two nameserver hosting at once, can you?

Currently I am only using CloudFlare NSs but A Record is created at Afraid.

If you are using CloudFlare NS, A record created a Afraid won't work

• Explain again, why are you using both of them at the same time?

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

@alilet said:

@rsk said:

Probably. Because I was also wondering at first how CloudFlare is able to send request to afraid.org but I thought may be when they scanned the domain, they were able to read current nameservers which were ns1.afraid.org and ns2.afraid.org and then told me to change to theirs.

Here's how it all happened.

1. I went to CF to add domain. They scanned and gave error that no nameserver is associated with it (or something like that). At this stage I have not registered with Afraid.
    2. I then went to Afraid and add A Records for my domain pointing to VPS IP.
    3. Then I went to domain control panel and update Afraid nameservers.
    4. Waited for DNS propagation
    5. Then I went to CF to add domain again. This time they scanned and showed success message and told me to replace those NSs with theirs which I did. At this stage I though CF has already noted Afraid's NSs and they will forward request to them automatically.
    6. I waited few hours and then opened site in browser which opened.
    7. Then I went to my VPS, disallowed all incoming connections using ufw and then tried to open site again. This time I got error from CloudFlare that the server is down.
    8. I then enabled incoming connections again and tried to open and it worked.

So this is how I came to know that everything is working.

What I did not see here is the CF DNS settings, did you do it??

What you tell is that you ran only the domain scan on CF.

• Logged in to CF to find out that my IP in my A Records is set to my ISP IP. I have changed it to VPS IP and now it works.

• wao

• @rsk said:
    Check your dns records for a start. https://intodns.com

OT: sometimes in the past I stumbled upon a web doing this in nice graphical form. Unfortunately I lost the link... :-(