Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ipv4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ipv4

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hi,

Did any host planed to not more offer lowendboxes for cheap prices like 10$ per Year or less because of the ipv4 price changes and scarcity?

Comments

• Ultra-Cheap VPS's are our ticket to fill our IP allocation fully.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

There already many $10 offers recently, VersatileIT, INIZ, and all I see from tracking the offers over the past 12-18 months is that prices are dropping. If they run out of IPv4 in USA, they'll just invade AfricaNIC and steal all of them from there, they have a big unused stack of them, like they steal OIL from Middle East. You don't need to worry!

• We're sticking with our 64MB ($7.5/year) and 128MB ($13.50/year) plans. Not to worry!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@concerto49 I know... already bought one :D
    Does someone other have some links with 10$ offers and less?

edited July 2013

@Infinity580 said:
    concerto49 I know... already bought one :D
    Does someone other have some links with 10$ offers and less?

just search LET/LEB, VersatileIT have a 128 $10/yr, INIZ did a 128 for $9.56, CosmoTek $9.99 http://client.vpsbuster.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0 Shard Host $10 for 256MB KVM

@concero49 - any news on your 32MB plan?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

When the time comes and you'll be able to simply rent out your IPs to someone for $2-5/month, the wisdom of selling VPSes with IPv4 for $7.5/year will be truly called into question :)

• rds100rds100 Member

Arin will be down to 2 /8s soon (i predict September this year). Then maybe down to the last /8 in a year after that. So i predict that before the end of 2014 the IP game will start to change for real and in 2015 we will see a lot of changes in the low end industry.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We have to hold back people from buying too many extra IPs at 12 Eur a year. I cannot see ourselves selling below 12 Eur a year a VPS in these conditions.

In US is probably different, many people have big stacks of IPs, we have to rent most of ours.

• @asterisk14 actively trying to find some savings to push it. @ $7.5/year it's already hard to go lower due to IP costs.

• LEB VPS's are actually cheaper now than I've ever seen them, even with IPv4

edited July 2013

@rds100 said:
    Arin will be down to 2 /8s soon (i predict September this year). Then maybe down to >the last /8 in a year after that. So i predict that before the end of 2014 the IP game will >start to change for real and in 2015 we will see a lot of changes in the low end industry.

@rm_ said:
    When the time comes and you'll be able to simply rent out your IPs to someone for >/$2-5/month, the wisdom of selling VPSes with IPv4 for $7.5/year will be truly called >into question :)

There are over 4 billion IPv4 so we should not really ever run out. There's lots of unused IPv4 in Africa/South America, I'm sure they can be persuaded to part with them, South America may be a bit hard as they are anti-US, but from the African's we can just take them by force like in the previous imperialist days. If things get bad, we could use more IPv4 NAT like lowendspirit. That will give us the breathing space to get IPv6 sorted. So let's just chill.

@Jeffrey - This also my experience from tracking the prices over the past 12-18 months. Prices have been decreasing, for example 256MB now generally available at $12/year, last year it was $15! The cheapest deal I know about is $6/yr from IPXCore 32MB VPS which included a IPv4, and in the UK £6/yr RackVM 128MB VPS (now deadpooled). Many peopl thought IPXCore would deadpool at these prices, but they are still with us, and Damien said that even at those prices they were making a profit. There are even FREE VPS with FREE IPv4 available from Host1Free and others, so how much does an IPv4 really cost?

• skaska Member

I would be happy if the offers would change to IPv6-only ultra-low-end VPSes.

• @ska said:

I would be happy if the offers would change to IPv6-only ultra-low-end VPSes.

Check out lowendspirit and micohosting - both do IPv6 only at ~$4/yr for 128MB. Don't personally think IPv4 cost that much otherwise we would not see FREE IPv4 from the likes of Host1Free, and VirtualVM who are currently giving away over 200 VPS with IPv4 for free.

• skaska Member

@asterisk14 said:
    ska said:
    Check out lowendspirit and micohosting

Thanks. Microhostign seems to have a rather bad reputation. You could also see the changes on their whois when we had a working LET-wiki here. The wiki, however, vanished somehow.

edited July 2013

@ska - there are other IPv6 only hosts, those are just the ones that came to mind from my cheap arse website http://zaheer.ml, there's one in Germany and Ukraine, I think.

@zen - thanks, that puts a better light on the subject. This means that some hosts will be making pennies profit on their plans. Kind of strange that we fight over crumbs and these big banks/corps are stealing money from us left, right and centre and getting paid $1,500,000/year plus bonuses!

• All the talk of "solutions" for the IPv4 shortage (Carrier Grade NAT, etc.) is really just delaying the inevitable. The only "solution" is to get IPv6 implemented completely. There's a catch 22 though. Residential ISPs don't want to invest time and money into implementing it until stuff is accessible with it. Datacenters (some at least) are delaying implementation until residential ISPs have it implemented. Or it's "coming soon (TM)".

edited July 2013

@Magiobiwan said:
    All the talk of "solutions" for the IPv4 shortage (Carrier Grade NAT, etc.) is really just delaying the inevitable. The only "solution" is to get IPv6 implemented completely. There's a catch 22 though. Residential ISPs don't want to invest time and money into implementing it until stuff is accessible with it. Datacenters (some at least) are delaying implementation until residential ISPs have it implemented. Or it's "coming soon (TM)".

Maybe if people didn't have 10 idleing VPS each with an IPv4, we wouldn't need IPv6? Maybe prices need to increase to discourage wasting IPv4 and idleing VPS killing off the planet with green house gases.

Plenty of spare IPv4 in Africa, they don't even have water, so doubt they'll be using their allocation any time soon. I vote USA SEALS invades African IPv4 allocating dept and steal them, same with Latin America, and CNN can say to us that "the Africans were never going to use them anyway .... they need to sort out their continents problems .... they are too dumb to be allowed their alocation of such a resource that is in short supply.... we need them more than them...etc" to justify it!

• The comment about VPS price decreasing is negative. Overselling has increased, more like. Won't comment further on that aspect but prices haven't gone down that much. It's a bad sad to see most taking that as an indication as such.

Giving things away for free has promotion / advertising value. Doing this doesn't mean it doesn't cost much.

• Honestly, the number of idling VPSes with dedicated IPv4 addresses isn't so much of a problem compared to the MASSIVE Class A blocks (/8's) allocated long ago to companies/organizations/institutions instrumental in founding the Internet. Does EVERY Microsoft employee NEED a publicly routable IP? No, not really. I do agree that IANA should re-allocate some of AFRINIC's unused /8 blocks (though AFRINIC only HAS 4 /8 blocks) to the RIR's that need them most. But most of all, IPv6 NEEDS to be implemented globally. There's just NO way to make IPv4 last longer than it takes for IPv6 to be implemented.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

When you think Ubuntu is fully IPv6 capable and even preferred in gai.conf by default, while ubuntu.com was not dual stack until the 12th of March this year, it blows your mind. (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/foundations-bugs/2013-March/140037.html)

No, ARIN will not do much for IPv6 until they run out, they and others are seeing IPv4 as a way to make money out of nothing due to it becoming a high price commodity, therefore why would they ?

edited July 2013

@concerto49 said:
    The comment about VPS price decreasing is negative. Overselling has increased, more like. Won't comment further on that aspect but prices haven't gone down that much. It's a bad sad to see most taking that as an indication as such.

Maybe it's the other way around, hardware prices have fallen over the years, so more resources for the same money, which we see generally in the PC industry.

@Magiobiwan said:

I do agree that IANA should re-allocate some of AFRINIC's unused /8 blocks (though AFRINIC only HAS 4 /8 blocks) to the RIR's that need them most.

No, I was just joking, just like we won't share our water/food/medicines wih Africans and happy to see them die of thirst, lack of food and poor healthcare, they should tell us to get lost or sell their IPv4 at an outrageous price on the public market!

• rds100rds100 Member

Arin is down to 2.01 remainign /8s as of this moment. It seems i was wrong with my prediction that they will be down to just 2 /8s in September.