Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1TB onedrive vs. 1TB OVZ VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1TB onedrive vs. 1TB OVZ VPS

Hi,
I haven't searched or won't search in next months for a 1TB storage plan as i have onedrive actually running, but i want to know the difference between OD and a OVZ VPS.
The global plan is €69/y or €6.99/m. I got it for 39 bucks annually as an office 365 personal option.
I would like to know, if any storage vps exist in that frame of 1TB or i'd better go with that, cause i have not to think about damaging hardware,but i don't really need office, so it's like a free extra for me.

For now i just want to know, if anything exists.
Thanks for any answers.

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

For the price, Office 365 with onedrive is really good value

• lihanlinlihanlin Member
    edited August 2017

Onedrive may be a better choice for storage since it has CDN, while OpenVZ VPS enables you to do some thing else beside just store data.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Bear in mind that with OVZ, if your provider had some kind of issue your data may well be unrecoverable, so you'd need a redundant backup somewhere else anyway.

Pound-for-pound, probably the best storage deal is $48/year from ZXHost, which works out at $4/month. That's CEPH storage too, so likely to be far more resilient to failure than your average OVZ host.

• For storage purposes, stay with onedrive.

• The question is : what kind of stuff are you storing on OneDrive, is it copyrighted material? If so stick with OVZ VPS.

• stay with onedrive, I've account for few years, never let me down except their client, which I replaced with rclone.

for important stuff I wont using openvz

• I would not upload anything to onedrive without encryption, but then ovz vps is insecure too, so no difference here.
    It is not more convinient either, because ovz, no fuse in such in most cases.
    In terms of reliability IMO it is highly unlikely that something will be lost on onedrive, and highly likely that ovz storage node will die at some point.
    So for the same or similar price IMO onedrive is better.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2017

Gamma17 said: I would not upload anything to onedrive without encryption

One drive still secure, never heard any issues like with dropbox.

if you need to store more secure you can install the nextcloud and encrypt all the files.

• It's not private, developing only. Transfer and insecure disk and damaging is the only point, using onedrive, if shared files that will be lost one time. Allmost a backup storage, but that thing maybe a main used vpn can do too.

• Well I would just stick with onedrive since my school gives it to me for free, but onedrive probably is faster for storage purposes since it has a cdn, but openvz allows you to run applications along with your storage. But if it's secured data, openvz isn't your best option... If you prefer KVm, try zxhost. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/121079/let-storage-offer-free-addon-site-wide-discount/p1
    You get a extra bonus depending how long you order! :)