Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iPad Pro 12.9" as a laptop replacement?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iPad Pro 12.9" as a laptop replacement?

My MacBook Pro is now EOL and I've been looking at replacements and I'm contemplating going for the uber iPad instead.

I reckon it can do pretty much everything I want it to once I get a decent keyboard, but I'd be interested to get opinions from anyone who's already made the move as to how practical it really is.

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I believe @jarland attempted to do this. At least for personal use but ended up switching to something else. I'm sure he'll reply soon enough.

• HxxxHxxx Member

This is a really bad idea if you are a developer. Not sure what your background is @Nekki but... it must be a shit hell to use VIM on an iPad. Consider another macbook pro.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Works fine, it's just about getting used to new workflows. I gave mine to my dad though, and I've been using a galaxy tab s3 recently. It's been a bit easier to manipulate into working as a laptop alternative, tbh. I mean, I can plug in a damn mouse if I "really" want to.

Oh and get Apple's keyboard cover. I'm sorry but saving money here isn't worth It, third party ones all have more small annoyances.

• I only basically use the terminal and my browser(chrome, firefox) to do anything. I hardly use anything else, with the exception of parcellite to keep my most recent copy+paste.

I wanted to start using GateOne HTML5 terminal to be able to do my code anywhere with a browser, but... it didn't work well with VIM as you can't override certain browser short cuts.

I can't do anything remotely useful if I don't have VIM as I have a shit load of macros there and use it extensively for every piece of work I do. Shit I write a lot of ansible playbooks, fuck around with tons of config files, write tons of python scripting, and without a proper keyboard with a terminal I wouldn't be able to do it.

I don't think an Ipad would work out for me.

Hxxx said: it must be a shit hell to use VIM on an iPad

Works fine in SSH clients on iOS. Esc key works :P

• WSSWSS Member

I'll take your old laptop. I could use another Core 2.

• jhjh Member

Seems like a really odd choice to me when the 12" MacBook would probably work out cheaper and is just as portable

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jh said:
    Seems like a really odd choice to me when the 12" MacBook would probably work out cheaper and is just as portable

I don't think I'd enjoy reading comics in bed on a MacBook.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I've tried to use it as a laptop replacement a bunch of times, and while it's possible, it just ends up being more of an annoyance. Reaching up to tap on the screen doesn't feel natural. I like cmd+tab'ing, multiple desktops, hot corners, 3 finger swiping between spaces, etc too much.

Look at the Apple refurbished section and check out like the 12" MacBook or 13" base rMBP. I got a 13" rMBP 2016 model last month and love it, went with the cheapest base model on the refurbished store. Love that it's the same weight as my old MacBook Air, and the screen is the nicest I've seen on any computer.

• LeeLee Veteran

I use the 10.5" for general, mobile browsing, watching Netflix and the like. Can't fault the screen quality or battery life and of course very light in comparison to your average budget tablet or laptop.

If it fits in with your uses then it should be ideal. It is not a laptop replacement in the truest sense, still IOS rather than macOS, so the limitations in that regard will be clear.

• jhjh Member

Nekki said: I don't think I'd enjoy reading comics in bed on a MacBook.

Really? The 12" Macbook is almost (?) as thin and light. The screen isn't as good and it's harder to rotate - but they seem like really minor things in comparison to the shortcomings of trying to use an iPad as a computer.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jh said:

Nekki said: I don't think I'd enjoy reading comics in bed on a MacBook.

Really? The 12" Macbook is almost (?) as thin and light. The screen isn't as good and it's harder to rotate - but they seem like really minor things in comparison to the shortcomings of trying to use an iPad as a computer.

Yes, I'm really not going to sit in bed reading from a laptop held a 90 degree angle.

• WSSWSS Member

"Reading".

• I love my iPad, but I have never found it capable enough to replace my laptop, even on the iOS 11 beta. Even with all those improvements over the years to the iPad software.. Workflows on the iPad could never compare to the laptop, but merely reach a "good enough, eh I could live with this if I had to" state.

I always end up having "use-cases" for the laptop and the iPad, and though I'd love to just carry one device while travelling, I just don't think we're quite there yet.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@WSS said:

"Reading".

Hentai has words....well, it has written approximations of sounds at least.

Thanked by 2Harambe WSS
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@caracal said:

I always end up having "use-cases" for the laptop and the iPad, and though I'd love to just carry one device while travelling, I just don't think we're quite there yet.

This is ultimately what I was hoping, so when I thread up to the in-laws for the weekend, I can just grab the iPad and it's keyboard and go - I won't even need to take a charger as every house has a number of lightening cables.

@Nekki said:

@caracal said:

This is ultimately what I was hoping, so when I thread up to the in-laws for the weekend, I can just grab the iPad and it's keyboard and go - I won't even need to take a charger as every house has a number of lightening cables.

I'd get both. I'm still using my couple year old iPad Air 2 and it's fine for browsing/youtube/netflix on the couch, but it wouldn't replace my laptop.

I'd advise against the 12.9" though, as the new 10.5" has the higher refresh rate screen and it makes a huge difference for reading/browsing.

• Nekki said: I don't think I'd enjoy reading comics in bed on a MacBook.

Surface Pro? jk too expensive

I legit when the original surface came out in like 2013-14 or whenever I used one as my full-on main computer and apart from it getting so burning hot it hurt to touch it it was pretty good for taking into the bed, using there, using on a desk, etc, a USB hub and a bunch of wires and stuff it was a mess though

Ultimately I stopped using it due to the small storage

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Harambe said:

I'd get both. I'm still using my couple year old iPad Air 2 and it's fine for browsing/youtube/netflix on the couch, but it wouldn't replace my laptop.

I'd advise against the 12.9" though, as the new 10.5" has the higher refresh rate screen and it makes a huge difference for reading/browsing.

Ive already got a Mini 4 and an original Air that the other half doesn't bother with anymore, so if I don't do the iPad Pro I'll just get a new Macbook

• WSSWSS Member

@Harambe said:

What? "Graphic Novels"?

@WSS said:

What? "Graphic Novels"?

12.9" is 60Hz, 10.5" is 120Hz. There are some comparison vids on YouTube that show the difference (using slow mo shots from a high FPS camera). Much more noticeable in person.

If you're just using it for "Graphic Novels" and there's not much scrolling, then it won't be noticeable.

• Using the iPad Pro since the first release as laptop replacement. Just got the new iPad Pro yesterday and it's better. Love the smooth scrolling etc. Do all my work on it. So it's just the perfect device for me.

• Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I have a 12.9 pro. Had the keyboard cover but returned it...it's useless. You can't really use it in your lap. I also found the keys horrible. Apple's refusal to support a mouse or trackpad is strange obstinacy (at best) to me.

The 12.9 is what I game on these days, as well as read and surf. But as a big tablet, not a replacement for a laptop. When I travel I take it (great for planes) but also my laptop.

Depending on what you do...the software just isn't there yet. Photoshop, Logic Pro/Garageband, Office, web browsers (with plugins), IDEs (or any kind of compiler really), scrivener, VMs - all of these are either painfully neutered on iPad or missing. I can't imagine trying to do my daily work (either big-W Work or my home projects) on iPad alone.

As a media consumption device, the iPad is nice. As a place to create or collaborate, forget it.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ NanoG6

raindog308 said: You can't really use it in your lap

Definitely not. You have to put it on a solid surface or it's not gonna do the job.

• I have been using nothing but a iPad Pro for the last two months just to see if I can. Honestly after you get use to the workflow it works out well. I've traveled a lot this summer so the portability of it has been great. I do have a Windows desktop running on a server that I have been using to RDP to for the odd ball things that I need something more, but I use the iPad to connect. IOS 11 will make this even easier with it's new file manager. I would say for me the iPad Pro is 90% there and the RDP session gets me the rest of the way.

• I have an Air 2 and use it for about 90% of what I do. I plan to get a 12.9" in the coming weeks. The only thing I cannot really do is heavy coding and web development; a little bit here and there, yes, but nothing substantial (using Coda with remote VMs has helped). Everything else though isn't a problem.

I have a local server that I use for encoding video, etc. and manage it via SSH. I use it for stuff that needs heavy lifting or specific software that I cannot use on iOS.

Certainly for many people the iPad is a proper computer/laptop replacement. I know for my parents I handle virtually no tech questions since I replaced their laptop with an iPad. For other people I think it will happen it'll just take time.

With iPads the hardware is there, but the software needs time to mature. My advice is to give it a try for a month and see what it's like. Then post here to share how it went.

@JustAMacUser said:
    With iPads the hardware is there, but the software needs time to mature.

The iOS 11 multitasking stuff looks great for the iPad, hope it's a big leap forward in terms of iPad productivity.

• @Harambe said:

Absolutely! I forgot to mention that in my post. I've been running iOS 11 public beta on my iPad mini 2 and it's awesome. Amazing improvements in usability.

Thanked by 1Harambe