Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hetzner ax60
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hetzner ax60

AdvicerxyzAdvicerxyz Member
edited August 2017 in General

well i wanted to grab one of those cause specs looks amazing (already got 2 server with hetzner) but both my server have ecc so im not worry but the ax60 doesnt have ecc memorys, the question is it risky to use server without ecc for web server with cpanel ? hosting around 100-150 users each server always, or just grab another e5 server and pay the set up fees again..

Comments

• If you're running super critical systems, I'd go for ECC because it can prevent a very small case of issues (look up what ECC actually does), however if you're hosting 100-150 users on servers, and you don't push them to the absolute limits, really - don't bother.

You'll probably experience more hardware failures of actual DIMMs in your lifetime than soft faults that ECC could correct.

The amount of issues you could experience isn't worse than in case some corrupted data is written it's most likely not gonna happen for something system critical since the actual working data you have in such an environment is serving files, writing files and reading/writing databases.

It has to go very wrong for things to corrupt the database and in that case, restore from your backup - like you would if you used ECC memory.

Sure, I take ECC if I can get it - I choose enterprise grade hardware if I can get it - but I also have servers (from hetzner), running with desktop stuff and it has run fine for years and years.

To be honest, don't worry too much if you're not running a company where your data is worth millions or more.

• yeah we mid size web developers, and small hosting company for who wants to, b> @Zerpy said:

If you're running super critical systems, I'd go for ECC because it can prevent a very small case of issues (look up what ECC actually does), however if you're hosting 100-150 users on servers, and you don't push them to the absolute limits, really - don't bother.

You'll probably experience more hardware failures of actual DIMMs in your lifetime than soft faults that ECC could correct.

The amount of issues you could experience isn't worse than in case some corrupted data is written it's most likely not gonna happen for something system critical since the actual working data you have in such an environment is serving files, writing files and reading/writing databases.

It has to go very wrong for things to corrupt the database and in that case, restore from your backup - like you would if you used ECC memory.

Sure, I take ECC if I can get it - I choose enterprise grade hardware if I can get it - but I also have servers (from hetzner), running with desktop stuff and it has run fine for years and years.

To be honest, don't worry too much if you're not running a company where your data is worth millions or more.

yeah we mid size web developers, and small hosting company for who wants to, but lately we gain alot of hosting client (we started as web developers and provide hosting for our clients) correct servers im using has more than 1 year uptime(1 down time cause of router issue) other than that perfect, question is how it be without ecc, idk if i can compare it for home pc, that my pc run 24/7/365 and always around 60-90% cpu i7 6700 and around 8-12gb always in use and never had a problem without ecc but i have no idea how its effects servers with linux(of course im planning to get storage server for dailly backups)

• It doesn't matter if you have 100 or 100.000 clients, if you as you say store 100-150 clients per server.

I've servers without ECC memory (both running with high load and some not so much) running for 3 years without reboots (Yes, I do patch kernels during runtime).

There's a slight chance things might fail, but there's also a slight chance that enterprise grade hardware will fail all of a sudden (I've seen servers where 2 (ECC) DIMMs decided to die on the same box within a week.

There will always be a chance of hardware dying - you can never really prevent it.

correct servers im using has more than 1 year uptime(1 down time cause of router issue) other than that perfect, question is how it be without ecc

ECC doesn't give you magically more uptime, it can correct some errors that happen very very infrequently - you're most likely not going to experience errors during the lifetime of your server that ECC would fix anyway - usually if RAM dies, it's a hard error, which ECC will not prevent.

Now the AX60-SSD is a Ryzen CPU which is consumer grade, and it's using consumer grade SSDs - I'd actually be more worried about your SSDs than your memory.

The increased chance of failure of not using ECC is probably the same as using a desktop CPU - which is next to zero.

• @Zerpy said:
    It doesn't matter if you have 100 or 100.000 clients, if you as you say store 100-150 clients per server.

I've servers without ECC memory (both running with high load and some not so much) running for 3 years without reboots (Yes, I do patch kernels during runtime).

There's a slight chance things might fail, but there's also a slight chance that enterprise grade hardware will fail all of a sudden (I've seen servers where 2 (ECC) DIMMs decided to die on the same box within a week.

There will always be a chance of hardware dying - you can never really prevent it.

correct servers im using has more than 1 year uptime(1 down time cause of router issue) other than that perfect, question is how it be without ecc

ECC doesn't give you magically more uptime, it can correct some errors that happen very very infrequently - you're most likely not going to experience errors during the lifetime of your server that ECC would fix anyway - usually if RAM dies, it's a hard error, which ECC will not prevent.

Now the AX60-SSD is a Ryzen CPU which is consumer grade, and it's using consumer grade SSDs - I'd actually be more worried about your SSDs than your memory.

The increased chance of failure of not using ECC is probably the same as using a desktop CPU - which is next to zero.

thanks for answering,
    yeah before hetzner i had 1 server with ovh for few years, ram also failled with ecc + cpu in other time haha
    but when they replaced the failled hardware server came back and running like winning horse, question is without ecc, lets say ram burned down, and they replaced it server come back running like always? or due of the ram it will have corruption data that be needed to restore via backup?

• I had an intermittent problem in a large compute task that I ran on my Hetzner i7-3770. One reason I got an Online E3-1230v3 during the winter promo was so I could re-run the task on a machine with ECC ram, and see if it still acted flaky. But I haven't gotten around to that yet.

• @Advicerxyz said:
    thanks for answering,
    yeah before hetzner i had 1 server with ovh for few years, ram also failled with ecc + cpu in other time haha
    but when they replaced the failled hardware server came back and running like winning horse, question is without ecc, lets say ram burned down, and they replaced it server come back running like always? or due of the ram it will have corruption data that be needed to restore via backup?

If you have a hardware failure of your DIMMs, ECC wouldn't save you anyway - and usually you won't suffer data loss or corruption due to a DIMM failing (I've yet to experience it, and I've had plenty of DIMM failures) - if a DIMM dies, it gets replaced and things should work as intended anyway, regardless of being ECC or not - ECC prevents a few bit flip errors that can occur in the memory due to various reasons.

Really, don't worry too much, specially if you're not pushing your systems to the maximum.

These issues usually only happens if you're pushing your hardware, and ECC makes a lot of sense if you work with sensitive data, and it makes sense if you have the option and budget to select it (there's not a big difference in pricing anymore).

Seriously, your chances for a completely dead raid array with consumer disks are higher than the ECC/non-ECC discussion.

• @Zerpy said:

@Advicerxyz said:
    thanks for answering,

If you have a hardware failure of your DIMMs, ECC wouldn't save you anyway - and usually you won't suffer data loss or corruption due to a DIMM failing (I've yet to experience it, and I've had plenty of DIMM failures) - if a DIMM dies, it gets replaced and things should work as intended anyway, regardless of being ECC or not - ECC prevents a few bit flip errors that can occur in the memory due to various reasons.

Really, don't worry too much, specially if you're not pushing your systems to the maximum.

These issues usually only happens if you're pushing your hardware, and ECC makes a lot of sense if you work with sensitive data, and it makes sense if you have the option and budget to select it (there's not a big difference in pricing anymore).

Seriously, your chances for a completely dead raid array with consumer disks are higher than the ECC/non-ECC discussion.

100-150 users in cpanel (around 300-400 domains and sub domains) i wonder how it be, most of the time (both my server got 480gbx2 raid 1) im always running out of disk before resources