Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server Deals! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server Deals!

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Ympker said: Aha :P Im not so sure Id trust these remote torrent services like Streamza/Bitport etc. I mean afterall if things go bad they have your torrent requests right? If you do it other ways masking your ip that's fine I guess^^ Anyway to everyone his own :P Your Nekkiflix I trust you have your waye^^

Well, I'm not using services such as the ones you suggest - let's just say I'm comfortable with the arrangements I have, both in terms of the services use and my anonymity when using them.

I'm also not someone who downloads the sort of things that get people in trouble, and a lot of my content comes from a personal offline collection.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Nekki said:

Ympker said: Aha :P Im not so sure Id trust these remote torrent services like Streamza/Bitport etc. I mean afterall if things go bad they have your torrent requests right? If you do it other ways masking your ip that's fine I guess^^ Anyway to everyone his own :P Your Nekkiflix I trust you have your waye^^

Well, I'm not using services such as the ones you suggest - let's just say I'm comfortable with the arrangements I have, both in terms of the services use and my anonymity when using them.

I'm also not someone who downloads the sort of things that get people in trouble, and a lot of my content comes from a personal offline collection.

Lets leave it at that then :)

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • HackedServerHackedServer Member
    edited August 2017

IAlwaysBeCoding said: But at that rate, you are bound to get to 50TB in about a year or two.

You'd be surprised, in my experience it tapers off over time. I've been thinking of moving to 1080p for my movie collection.

4.1T    ./movies
    1.8T    ./anime
    7.1T    ./tv

Here's my growth over the last 9 months. This included upgrading some anime to 1080p, checking most days for new movies I want on my favorite movie site, and automated TV show downloads.

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

HackedServer said: 1.8T ./anime

You need to fix this.

• HackedServerHackedServer Member
    edited August 2017

Nekki said: You need to fix this.

Not my fault anime encodes down so such small file sizes! I have almost as many anime series as I do TV, and I do anime at 1080p but TV at 720p.

Not to mention Plex can be such a pita with anime.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

HackedServer said: Not to mention Plex can be such a pita with anime.

Tell me about it. The fact that it's such a pain to get soft subs including in a remote sync has prevented me from clearing a lot of my 'to watch' queue.

Aaaaaaanyway.....providers, where are those TBs?

• @httpzoom said:
    @Nekki

HP DL380 Gen6

E5600 Quad core Xeon

8 drive Bay 2TB SATA each

8GB Ram

100mb port

£70 Order Here

Plus 20% off if you use the 20OFF promoCode

This time this offer said 8x1TB instead of 8x2TB, 1gbps port instead of the 100mbps you say here and the coupon still doesnt work. (on neither offer)

• Nekki said: Aaaaaaanyway.....providers, where are those TBs?

12x4TB for $199/m?
    https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1662247

• @Nekki if all you need is storage, perhaps you can look at https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html
    I find it one of the cheapest and most reliable services.

There is also the cheapest at https://hubic.com/en/offers/
    But before jumping onto that 10Tb storage offer for €5, bare in mind that for most locations this is slow like hell.
    Make sure you test uploads/downloads with the free account before deciding.

And you can mount either of these with https://rclone.org/

Much cheaper than a server, unless you want to use it for video conversion too.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

peixotorms said: @Nekki if all you need is storage, perhaps you can look at https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html I find it one of the cheapest and most reliable services.

Going with a fast, storage light front-end server whilst serving the media from a cheaper, storage friendly location has been something I've been thinking about for a while, but I'm yet to see any evidence of this providing a truly satisfactory experience for a heavily utilised media server - arguably, it's not what they're intended for, so why would the performance be anything more than 'ok'. Additionally, I'm not certain I 'trust' these storage providers with my data.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Nice, but overkill for me.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

What are you looking for and in which location? Maybe we can come up with something creative...

• @Nekki said:
    Additionally, I'm not certain I 'trust' these storage providers with my data.

Well, hubic is from OVH (Europe) and backblaze is certainly a well known, long established storage provider in the US. It should be at least as private as Amazon or Google Cloud Storage.

I actually used hubic a couple years ago (and ditched it, since transferring 100 Gb was taking more than 24 hours). I also had Amazon Cloud Drive (unlimited), but they are reducing storage to 1TB this year, so it has to go too. Still, that's 1TB for $60 a year...

For storage only, I use google cloud storage (for disaster recovery, because storage is cheap), and for normal daily backups, I use backblaze now.

I transfer roughly 1 TB a day in backups to backblaze (multi servers) and it's ok (100~200 Mbps). Obviously, Google Storage is much faster, but traffic is not cheap.

If you have gsuite... Google Drive traffic is free and a good solution too, but prepare for rate limits. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10311969/what-is-the-limit-on-google-drive-api-usage
    You can however, create multiple accounts with gsuite, so 5 users will get you unlimited storage, while less than 5 will give you 1TB per user.

Rclone will allow you to mount each drive for each user, so you just need to know in wich account your files are.

For example, I also have 750+ GB Anime episodes on Google Drive.
    One interesting thing, is that it also converts the videos just like youtube, so you can actually share the link and people can see online (while preserving the originals).
    If you can code something to take benefit of this, you have a cheap and fast solution.

I would rather trust my data to one of these providers, than on some unknown / new hosting provider that anytime, could terminate the server for whatever reason.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@MagicalTrain said:

@httpzoom said:
    @Nekki

HP DL380 Gen6

E5600 Quad core Xeon

8 drive Bay 2TB SATA each

8GB Ram

100mb port

£70 Order Here

This time this offer said 8x1TB instead of 8x2TB, 1gbps port instead of the 100mbps you say here and the coupon still doesnt work. (on neither offer)

HP DL380 Gen6

E5600 Quad core Xeon

8 drive Bay 1TB SATA each

8GB Ram

100mb port

This is correct and the promoCode works.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

peixotorms said: while less than 5 will give you 1TB per user.

This limit isn't used anywhere. 1-4 users is still unlimited.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

If you want to trust the likes of Google with your copyrighted material that's your call, but you're a braver man than me.

I'm also not certain these services scale well - I wouldn't want to be serving 10-20 streams out of these cloud services simultaneously. Have you had any experience of that?

peixotorms said: I would rather trust my data to one of these providers, than on some unknown / new hosting provider that anytime, could terminate the server for whatever reason.

Well that's what a DR strategy is for - because you shouldn't trust anybody.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@peixotorms just a heads up, purchasing one gsuite user currently gets you unlimited storage

• @Nekki said:
    If you want to trust the likes of Google with your copyrighted material that's your call, but you're a braver man than me.

I'm also not certain these services scale well - I wouldn't want to be serving 10-20 streams out of these cloud services simultaneously. Have you had any experience of that?

peixotorms said: I would rather trust my data to one of these providers, than on some unknown / new hosting provider that anytime, could terminate the server for whatever reason.

For google it's probably aight aslong as you dont "share" it. 1Fichier might also be a good option. Allows for "inline" play of videos.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Nekki said: 4K VR is where it's at now, it's terrifying in so many ways.

/me whispers "vr bangers" in your ear and walks away

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Ympker said: For google it's probably aight aslong as you dont "share" it. 1Fichier might also be a good option. Allows for "inline" play of videos.

Shit user experience though, and completely unsuitable for my use case. We've gone well off the point here.

• @Nekki said:

Ympker said: For google it's probably aight aslong as you dont "share" it. 1Fichier might also be a good option. Allows for "inline" play of videos.

Shit user experience though, and completely unsuitable for my use case. We've gone well off the point here.

For cold storage as backup it might still be suited :)

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

@Nekki said:

I've done 8~ high bitrate 1080p-4k streams out of acd no issue at one time but even that is pushing it. Everything I store is encrypted either way but it's just some debian images of course.

• imokimok Member

So... no deals yet :(

Thanked by 3WSS fourzerofour phpmin
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Ympker said: For cold storage as backup it might still be suited :)

I guess, I have offline backups at home for that though.

Rhys said: I've done 8~ high bitrate 1080p-4k streams out of acd no issue at one time but even that is pushing it. Everything I store is encrypted either way but it's just some debian images of course.

I've heard a few horror stories about Amazon allegedly booting people who hammer the network too much. You must be pushing close to 150Mbps put with 8 streams though, right?

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • @Nekki honestly for what you are doing I think you should NEVER go for S3(or any compatible storage), backblaze, or any other cold storage service. The stuff you are doing doesn't need prying eyes, just stick with some cheap LET special server offers with tons of terabytes.

You will be setting yourself up for failure and risking your operation if you use Google, Amazon, or any other storage service. These people telling you to put your copyrighted shit on Google and Amazon aren't really taking into account the problems that could arise from getting canned.

I highly doubt you will have a better setup than using cheap storage servers from LET, even if what you are doing will require for you to personally manage and prune your library.

If you store even 10TB on Google or Amazon and they are in big files, they will for sure look into your shit.

• @MasonR said:

@mtsbatalha said:

@imok said:

@mtsbatalha said:

@imok said:
    Currently I have one E3-1240v3 for $26. But I need more servers! Gimme some!

Heymman, rigth?

You know you're right :) It's the best server I've had for the price.

Yes, I regret have transfered my one...

You silly goose! :P Not getting rid of mine until they deadpool

How is the network and uptime ?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

DEALS, MUTHERFUCKAS, WHERE ARE THEY?

Thanked by 3WSS Aidan Junkless
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Junkless said:
    How is the network and uptime ?

Fucking great! The major downside is that they're single-homed Cogent, but I've never had any issues maxing out my 1gbps connection. But you really can't beat a E3-1240v3 / 16gb / 4x250gb (raid 5) / 50tb @ 1gbps / 5 IPv4 in Chicago for $26/mo.

Last downtime was a few months ago for a switch replacement. But the scheduled maintenance was well communicated and quickly resolved.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • WSSWSS Member

@httpzoom said:

HP DL380 Gen6

E5600 Quad core Xeon

8 drive Bay 1TB SATA each

8GB Ram

100mb port

This is correct and the promoCode works.

Not to split hares, but I loaded it when it said 2TB as well.

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@Nekki said:

@Clouvider said:
    RAID 0 ;-)?

Probably no RAID, but dependant on the size of the individual disks.

If I had 20TB+, I'd potentially go to RAID1.

Honest question, why do you need so much disk space? What can you possibly need it for?

This discussion has been closed.