Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu Edge
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu Edge

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13763_3-57594855/ubuntu-edge-dual-boots-android-seeks-$32m/

So what are everyone's thoughts on this phone? By the way the phone is $600 for today only.

Comments

• awsonawson Member

Those specs are a little ridiculous, even for a high-end phone in my opinion.

If $830 is going to be the retail price, then I really don't see a reason to get one. Maybe Canonical is taking advantage of the Apple-addicted.

• @awson said:
    Those specs are a little ridiculous, even for a high-end phone in my opinion.

If $830 is going to be the retail price, then I really don't see a reason to get one. Maybe Canonical is taking advantage of the Apple-addicted.

That's exactly what I was thinking and $830 is a pretty hefty price tag. I'm still trying to figure out what their "convergence" is though. Will the phone be a mini computer you can hook up to a monitor?

• lumaluma Member

$830 without a plan or contract is not that bad. A Galaxy S4 in Canada will run you $700 + taxes without a contract/plan.

I am sure it will have Micro USB with MHL so that you can hook it up to your TV/Monitor. Bluetooth so that you can hook up a mouse and keyboard and headset etc.

• BrandonBrandon Member
    edited July 2013

@luma said:
    I am sure it will have Micro USB with MHL so that you can hook it up to your TV/Monitor. Bluetooth so that you can hook up a mouse and keyboard and headset etc.

Yeah that is what I was thinking too and I'm sure the beefy specs are because its meant to be an ultra portable PC too.

Lots of good insight on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/1iteda/ubuntu_is_seeking_32_million_on_indiegogo_for_its/

• It has bluetooth, wifi, and 4G LTE connectivity. According to the video, it can hook up to "any modern HDMI monitor".

• GunterGunter Member
    edited July 2013

If $830 is going to be the retail price, then I really don't see a reason to get one.

But it's not going to be sold as a retail device. It's being used as a commercial testbed, similar to what Formula 1 is in Racing. These devices probably won't be sold on retail shelves unless there's a huge surge in demand for them.

Either way, I probably won't get one. Not because the idea is stupid, but because in the development of major projects such as Pebble and Ouya, there has always been problems that have come out of them in due time. I look forward to what comes out of the development of the Ubuntu Edge. It might be the leap forward we've been waiting for.

• colmcolm Member

Looks like the US$600 option is sold out already. The direct link still seems to work: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge/contributions/new?perk_amt=600&perk_id=1195396

• @colm said:
    Looks like the US$600 option is sold out already. The direct link still seems to work: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge/contributions/new?perk_amt=600&perk_id=1195396

Wow that was quick.

• nixcomnixcom Member

The idea of having a multiboot device always on me could be great. for someone thinking about changing is phone and computer, this could be a good device to buy...

• @nixcom said:
    The idea of having a multiboot device always on me could be great. for someone thinking about changing is phone and computer, this could be a good device to buy...

Yeah its an interesting concept but my concern is the processor they'll be using. Will it be powerful enough?

• nixcomnixcom Member

@Brandon We have to keep in mind that it is for someone that has to be on the road... They say it will be a quad core CPU. You never need the full power of a CPU to make some "work" things. Like me: managing servers, making documentation, spreadsheets and things like that... A dual core can make the job hehe

You go visiting someone, you don't need to bring any bootable usb key or live CD. You already have your desktop ready to go, with all settings saved already.

If you want something to play games with, forget about that idea, you know what I mean? :)

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited July 2013