Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$75 - Setup Guide/Script - SSH to SOCKS/proxy to OpenVPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$75 - Setup Guide/Script - SSH to SOCKS/proxy to OpenVPN

williswillis Member
edited July 2013 in Help

Hello,

I'm looking for someone to help me configure a VPS to serve as an SSH gateway to a SOCKS/proxy (dante/squid) server running on the VPS and tunnel that to an OpenVPN connection to the PIA VPN service. Unfortunately PIA (PrivateInternetAccess) doesn't offer an SSH solution (only their software or OpenVPN), and where I would like to use their service I cannot dedicate my entire connection, but would like to use only my web browser. Hence this workaround.

I have done some experimentation, and once I get OpenVPN installed on a VPS with the connection to PIA activated my external SSH connection gets dropped (as it should), and I don't understand ip tables well enough to allow the two connections to work simultaneously.

Essentially, I would like to be able to implement this type of device on a VPS and mimic its functionality: the AnonyBox (http://gschoppe.com/blog/the-anonybox-squid-socks-and-openvpn-all-for-15/), which does SSH -> SOCKS/proxy -> OpenVPN -> Private Internet Access. If the VPN connection goes down the SOCKS server stops, preventing accidental access through the non-VPN connection (or either redirects the user to a local page saying the VPN connection is down). Once the VPN is restored the SOCKS server restarts. I purchased one of these PogoPlug devices and followed the linked tutorial, and it works great on my home network.

Right now I have a KVM VPS with RamNode, but would ultimately like to have the flexibility to take it to Amazon's EC2 if I wanted to.

In the end, what I would like is a step-by-step guide, command list, or a script to tell me how to get this configured on my own Ubuntu-based VPS.

Please send me a PM if you are interested. I am offering $75 for the assistance once it has been confirmed that it will work on a clean VPS after following the guide/script. PayPal is all I have, unless you would be willing to accept a money order. If there are other methods we can talk.

Thank you!