Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like everyone wants to spy on us (CIA, NSA, GCHQ and now China)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon suspends sales of Blu phones for including preloaded spyware, again

Other phones are affected too

https://theverge.com/2017/7/31/16072786/amazon-blu-suspended-android-spyware-user-data-theft

Poll not found

Comments

• I have a xiaomi, and it works amazing for it's price. If I have to do really sensitive stuff, I'll get a Pixel.

• YuraYura Member

@sanvit said:
      I have a xiaomi, and it works amazing for it's price. If I have to do really sensitive stuff, I'll get a Pixel.

What's wrong with you?

• jhjh Member

Nothing new here. The Five Eyes, Russia and China will do whatever they can to collect as much as they can. Permissions sharing between apps is a bigger problem in my opinion.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
      edited August 2017

This is news now? I doubt there is a single foreign or domestic agency that isn't interested in spying on at-least some people (domestic or international).

But seriously, good on Amazon.

Thanked by 1netomx
    • sanvit said: I have a xiaomi, and it works amazing for it's price. If I have to do really sensitive stuff, I'll get a Pixel.

i have use the same cellular in the past , is verry good for his price, also quality

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
    • NekkiNekki Veteran

@cociu said:

sanvit said: I have a xiaomi, and it works amazing for it's price. If I have to do really sensitive stuff, I'll get a Pixel.

i have use the same cellular in the past , is verry good for his price, also quality

If one were of a suspicious nature, they may opine that the reason you can purchase a quality phone at such a low price is because someone is subsiding costs in order to get them in the hands of more people.

Thanked by 4Hxxx MasonR Yura netomx
    • HxxxHxxx Member

@Nekki I mean is LET. Common sense is not allowed.

• @Yura said:

@sanvit said:
      I have a xiaomi, and it works amazing for it's price. If I have to do really sensitive stuff, I'll get a Pixel.

What's wrong with you?

Well, money is important....

• With custom ROMs one does not have to worry about spyware included in stock ROM...

• Which phone is not from China? :D

• MrFunken said: Which phone is not from China? :D

^^That. Try to find any modern technical device without any parts from China. I know - there is a small handful, but...

• YuraYura Member
      edited August 2017

@sanvit said:

@Yura said:

@sanvit said:

What's wrong with you?

I mean, you say that there is a safety from spying really sensitive stuff if you use Pixel... which is just another Google phone on the Google's OS. For your information Google is one of the two biggest companies which whole business is about vacuuming all private information from it's users AND they are cooperating with USA gov AND they are cooperating with Chinese gov.

You won't find a bigger data whores than Google/FB. Smartphone vendor makes no practical difference if underlying hardware and software is serving them, not you. Also, ask yourself, which country's spies/contractors/companies could affect your life more, USA or China's? Then scratch that because it doesn't matter, you don't have any say in who has your info and what they use it for.

Thanked by 1saf31
    • Well, money is important....

Mhm, The People's Republic of China is really interested in your money.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Yura said:

@sanvit said:

@Yura said:

@sanvit said:

What's wrong with you?

I mean, you say that there is a safety from spying really sensitive stuff if you use Pixel... which is just another Google phone on the Google's OS. For your information Google is one of the two biggest companies which whole business is about vacuuming all private information from it's users AND they are cooperating with USA gov AND they are cooperating with Chinese gov.

You won't find a bigger data whores than Google/FB. Smartphone vendor makes no practical difference if underlying hardware and software is serving them, not you. Also, ask yourself, which country's spies/contractors/companies could affect your life more, USA or China's? Then scratch that because it doesn't matter, you don't have any say in who has your info and what they use it for.

Replying from my pixel XL after having just asked my Google home, which listens all day for my command, to turn off my alarm. Triggered yet? <3

Thanked by 1netomx
    • YuraYura Member

@jarland said:

Replying from my pixel XL after having just asked my Google home, which listens all day for my command, to turn off my alarm. Triggered yet? <3

I felt a huge relief after you jumped from Apple ;)

P.S. fyi, my trigger zone is around nipples <3

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: If one were of a suspicious nature, they may opine that the reason you can purchase a quality phone at such a low price is because someone is subsiding costs in order to get them in the hands of more people.

I think it's impossible that would be occurring without a leak. There's just no way to make that kind of deal with only a small number of people knowing, especially on the phone maker side. You'd have cost accountants, engineers comparing prices to pick components, suppliers arguing rebates, supply chain people insuring shipments, etc.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen but it would be difficult to contain.

It'd be easier to do at the supplier level ("Apple, in exchange for including our spyware, we'll give Foxconn $1bn so your costs are lower") but that word would spread very quickly...first guy who leaves Apple for Samsung is going to say "wow, we paid only 77 cents for that and you pay $3.50" and then the beans will be spilled.

Now on a similar note, why was GreenValueHost so cheap...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

raindog308 said: I think it's impossible that would be occurring without a leak. There's just no way to make that kind of deal with only a small number of people knowing, especially on the phone maker side. You'd have cost accountants, engineers comparing prices to pick components, suppliers arguing rebates, supply chain people insuring shipments, etc.

I would assume that if this was happening in China, it would be relatively trivial to make sure no-one involved in the supply chain runs their mouth, buy maybe I give the regime too much credit.

There's also nothing to say the phones aren't simply being sold at a loss and the just the Xiaomi finances are being propped up.

Pure, unjustified speculation for entertainment purposes only, obviously.

• WSSWSS Member

Fuck Bezos.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: Pure, unjustified speculation for entertainment purposes only, obviously.

Wish you'd mentioned that part before I quit my job and bought 2,000 acres in Paraguay to drop off the grid.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

raindog308 said: Wish you'd mentioned that part before I quit my job and bought 2,000 acres in Paraguay to drop off the grid.

We know where to find you.

Thanked by 2netomx default
    • I have a xiaomi and I'm happy with it. I flashed CM (Lingoes) Rom from day 1.

• Got a Redmi(another brand from Xiaomi). Force flashed to old version of MIUI, unlocked fastboot, and flashed CM + OpenGapps right away.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
      edited August 2017

@raindog308 said:

Nekki said: If one were of a suspicious nature, they may opine that the reason you can purchase a quality phone at such a low price is because someone is subsiding costs in order to get them in the hands of more people.

I think it's impossible that would be occurring without a leak. There's just no way to make that kind of deal with only a small number of people knowing, especially on the phone maker side. You'd have cost accountants, engineers comparing prices to pick components, suppliers arguing rebates, supply chain people insuring shipments, etc.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen but it would be difficult to contain.

It'd be easier to do at the supplier level ("Apple, in exchange for including our spyware, we'll give Foxconn $1bn so your costs are lower") but that word would spread very quickly...first guy who leaves Apple for Samsung is going to say "wow, we paid only 77 cents for that and you pay $3.50" and then the beans will be spilled.

Now on a similar note, why was GreenValueHost so cheap...

Remember the American weapons of mass destruction project called the Manhattan project?? They managed to keep that a secret even though tens of thousands of people were involved in the project to build the worlds first nuclear bomb. Never underestimate the power of the ruling regime and the people's misplaced loyalty.

How many of us have seen things at work that are wrong but we keep our mouths shut???

• Nah they're just in your head

Thanked by 1WSS
    • Every one spies on every one. FFAS this shit just kills me. You want phone privacy get a burner. Something that has no Net capabilities, no nothing but a damned phone. None of this is news or even was news 10 years ago.

Thanked by 1WSS
    • Like all these polls on here, there is something obvious missing. For example I have found a solution which works very well. I don't use or own a cell phone.

• WSSWSS Member

@Ole_Juul said:
      Like all these polls on here, there is something obvious missing. For example I have found a solution which works very well. I don't use or own a cell phone.

Most of us still leave home.

Thanked by 1netomx
    • HxxxHxxx Member
      edited August 2017

Some jobs requires on-call availability. A mobile phone is a must.

• YuraYura Member

@Ole_Juul said:
      Like all these polls on here, there is something obvious missing. For example I have found a solution which works very well. I don't use or own a cell phone.

Hello, Mr. Stallman. Are you looking for GNU VPS offers here?

• Not everybody here is a pizza delivery guy. So just get your shit done and take the messages when you go home. You do have a home, right?