Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Safest messenger app?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Safest messenger app?

What is the safest messenger app that supports multi-device? Would be also nice if app doesn't require phone number (username + password or email + password auth).

Is telegram safer on it's own, or would it be safer with proxy (Windscribe NL SOCKS5)?

Thanks!

Comments

• Telegram is NOT the answer at least.

Is there a way to use Signal without the phone number for auto-discovery? (haven't checked in years)

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited August 2017

@vimalware said:
    Telegram is NOT the answer at least.

Is there a way to use Signal without the phone number for auto-discovery? (haven't checked in years)

May I ask you why telegram is not the answer? They claim to have servers in EU and awesome encryption...

Add : Tried using Signal, but since I don't have a simcard on my phone, I cannot go through their verification process... :(

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • If something is vulnerable to '$5 wrench attacks', avoid it

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/538:_Security

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @vimalware said:
    If something is vulnerable to '$5 wrench attacks', avoid it

https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/538:_Security

:D

So there's no security problems seen in technical/political view?

• kh81kh81 Member
    edited August 2017

Signal would have been your best bet. You can try Wire though.

Thanked by 2sanvit Jarry
  • @kh81 said:
    Signal would have been your best bet. You can try Wire though.

This seem to be the thing i've been looking for. Thanks!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

sanvit said: You can try Wire though.

Their "web" version is entirely down atm, this is ridiculous.

• @rm_ said:

This wasn't just me... And they don't support proxy inside the Android app... :(

But still, I really need the email login feature so this seems to be my only choice :)

• The answer is probably XMPP/Jabber.. Conversations for Android and many Clients for all OSs.. Use OMEMO.

Thanked by 3sanvit rm_ crashdump
  • jhjh Member

Telegram isn't end to end encryption in general. It's a bit misleading. Signal is probably your best bet - it's Schneier's choice.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @nobizzle said:
    The answer is probably XMPP/Jabber.. Conversations for Android and many Clients for all OSs.. Use OMEMO.

What would be a better choice? XMPP or Matrix?

• Jabber, Wickr, Matrix

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • +1 for Signal. Both client and server-side code is open-source, any crypto-guru can check it. And it does not record anything, not even metadata...

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • https://ring.cx/ - e2e encrypted, distributed (no central server), multi-platform, not linked to phone number

Thanked by 2sanvit k0nsl
  • @mkamolins said:
    https://ring.cx/ - e2e encrypted, distributed (no central server), multi-platform, not linked to phone number

Seems a bit buggy ATM. I tried to create an account and app crashes. I'll try on a desktop later. Thanks!

• jamjam Member

Conversations/chatsecure + OTR/OMEMO + XMPP server + Tor

• NekkiNekki Veteran

My conversations must be so boring compared to the ones you guys have.

Thanked by 4mkamolins jar mint netomx
  • XMPP + OTR

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2017

@Nekki said:

Seriously. My most sensitive recent text:

Jarland, your appt is at 1:00PM on 7/27/17 (Thu). See you then!
    Hallsville Family Dentistry

Thanked by 2Nekki netomx
  • "I have nothing to hide" is simply a failure of imagination.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jarland said:

@Nekki said:

Seriously. My most sensitive recent text:

Jarland, your appt is at 1:00PM on 7/27/17 (Thu). See you then!
    Hallsville Family Dentistry

Mine is this:

Your order SOR0000036340 has been packed. It will be delivered by ROYAL MAIL FIRST CLASS. ShopTo

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@vimalware said:
    "I have nothing to hide" is simply a failure of imagination.

What isn't, though, is that whatever the answer is today it probably won't be the answer on the day I have something to hide. The idea is that the freedom I have today would cease and what I consider free speech would be illegal, and thus I would then have something to hide. But the best technology for hiding my communication seems to change far more often than such events occur, thus making it easy to take lightly ;)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

jarland said: But the best technology for hiding my communication seems to change far more often than such events occur, thus making it easy to take lightly ;)

I think its fairly clear that if you want to hide your communication, you're better off not using technology at all....

Thanked by 2jar sanvit
  • vimalware said: Telegram is NOT the answer at least.

How come? The secret chat feature seems pretty safe.

https://telegram.org/faq#q-how-are-secret-chats-different

• Burner phones with no connection to you and no Net access. Little shitty flip phones and the like, can be activated by only a zip code and does not even have to be yours. Buy them for 10-20 bucks when they run out but another one.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • kh81kh81 Member

@sanvit said:

@rm_ said:

This wasn't just me... And they don't support proxy inside the Android app... :(

But still, I really need the email login feature so this seems to be my only choice :)

The web app works perfectly fine for me.

• WSSWSS Member

Walk into the nearest Apple store, and but the cheapest iPhone you find. Use ID which identifies both your face and your credit to your personal being. Continue for the next decade until you die of carrot cancer.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • plueschopathplueschopath Member
    edited August 2017

@HackedServer said:
    How come? The secret chat feature seems pretty safe.

https://telegram.org/faq#q-how-are-secret-chats-different

Not supported in Telegram web (aka. webogram) for example. Also it tends to be a bit buggy and it's only for one to one communication (no multi-device support / does not work for groups).

Most ppl do not use secret chats because of all that. They are just not comfy implemented. It seems that Telegram doesn't really care about them, else they wouldn't be missing in webogram imo.

edit: and they use some custom selfmade encryption technology that was criticised multiple times.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@plueschopath said:
    Most ppl do not use secret chats because of all that. They are just not comfy implemented.

It's an interesting point; people refusing to use more secure solutions because they're inconvenient.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • YuraYura Member

@Nekki said:
    It's an interesting point; people refusing to use more secure solutions because they're inconvenient.

Spot on. Safety, privacy, exercising, healthy eating and other good habits are jeopardized by physical and intellectual laziness. If something is undeniably good but requires work, discipline or efforts due to complexity or inconvenience then people not only prefer to skip it but invent varies excuses to make them feel better about selves despite bad choices.

Bareback sex during one night stand rationalized by low risk of STD transmission. Bad quality fast food rationalized by lack of time. Easily guessable pin codes and passwords rationalized by the same "who needs my useless account or empty debit card" argument.

The bad thing is that this aspect of human nature is not going to change. So it's up to technology leaders to implement safety by default. Of course, that's a tall order to fill and unrealistic. But at least, there is a movement in that direction.