Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a SMTP service that allow 4-5000 emails per day.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a SMTP service that allow 4-5000 emails per day.

I have two options, just setup a CentOS server + Virtualmin on one of my dedicated servers or buy a service.

Why SMTP and 4-5k mails per day? We have 330 servers with backup software that we want e-mails warnings/fails/information on as a backup for our monitoring software.
The backup software (Symantec) sends out lots of mail on 100 servers, for 6 days, there many of the backup jobs did not run in the weekend, we have got almost 7000 e-mails so far.
Thats 21.000 mails at least each 6 days. + lots more in weeksdays when all the backup jobs always run, at least once a day, sometime many times per day.

Symantec is old, so we need to use Port 25 (without SSL) and with only basic authentication.

I'm using MX route now, but I don't think @Jarland allows that kind of outgoing SMTP traffic.

But we can setup our own SMTP server on our hosting solution, maybe thats just the best idea? Any risk/issues with a solution like that?

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu

Comments

• @mailcheap has dedicated mail servers. maybe thats something for you?

Thanked by 2myhken mailcheap
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

SES is solid and would be super cheap.

You'd probably be a dollar or two a month.

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:
    SES is solid and would be super cheap.

You'd probably be a dollar or two a month.

Francisco

+1 definitely worth.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • TomTom Member
    edited August 2017

+1 to SES. On first verification I have 50k/d & 14 emails/s

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

SES, MailCheap, or use a cheap VPS. If you're using me for incoming and you send a bunch of automated stuff to yourself through a VPS, IP rep doesn't even matter just ask me to whitelist it.

Thanked by 2myhken vimalware
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Yeah. Note that SES does bill for email size/attachments so just use the public calculator for SES to calculate your costs.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Not hosted mail for many years now. But a VPS just with port 25 open...with non standard SSH port, IP block, none root access user, etc. Any other issues with abuse or something on a setup like that? Of course, we will be the only smtp user on that server.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited August 2017

I'm using MX route now, but I don't think @Jarland allows that kind of outgoing SMTP traffic.

Are you relaying all 330 servers outbound mail through MX route?
    or do you have local smtp servers such as exim, sendmail, postfix, etc sending the systems mail from each server?

I would be more then happy to set up a self hosted mailserver option for you, or answer any questions you may have.

• yup use AWS SES it's what i use

@MikePT said:
    Yeah. Note that SES does bill for email size/attachments so just use the public calculator for SES to calculate your costs.

maybe have separate smtp servers for email only = AWS SES and for with attachments a separate one ?

• sparkpost.com is also good for my purposes. (have 5000 daily limit and 100,000 monthly for free account)

• cpsdcpsd Member

@BecomeWebHost said:
    sparkpost.com is also good for my purposes. (have 5000 daily limit and 100,000 monthly for free account)

That service looks great for developers! Thanks!

• @BecomeWebHost said:
    sparkpost.com is also good for my purposes. (have 5000 daily limit and 100,000 monthly for free account)

just beware that they can suspend your account for the type of domain extension used or specific text used in emails i.e. user was suspended for emails mentioning .tk extension domains and another user for specific link text used https://community.centminmod.com/threads/sparkpost-suspension.9122/

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • A cheap VPS + Postfix.

• @eva2000 said:

@BecomeWebHost said:

just beware that they can suspend your account for the type of domain extension used or specific text used in emails i.e. user was suspended for emails mentioning .tk extension domains and another user for specific link text used https://community.centminmod.com/threads/sparkpost-suspension.9122/

I agree with that!

btw I don't get any issues. I think they are just trying to prevent spam.

• @cpsd said:

@BecomeWebHost said:

That service looks great for developers! Thanks!

Welcome :)

• @jeff9023 said:
    A cheap VPS + Postfix.

Agree, but better to speak with provider support about count of emails, some providers can limit SMTP connections.

• @Quarind said:

@jeff9023 said:
    A cheap VPS + Postfix.

Agree, but better to speak with provider support about count of emails, some providers can limit SMTP connections.

OVH SSD Cloud is OK.
    I'm using OVH $3.49 SSD cloud for sending E-mail.

Postfix + Dovecot + opendkim + SPF record + DomainKey record + DMARC record + rDNS + SpamAssassin

After setup your E-mail server, you can test it via http://www.mail-tester.com/

Thanked by 1Quarind
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Why don't you try fix the issue of so many backups failing ;-)

Thanked by 1Tom
  • winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

Hi @myhken
    May I know what sort of software will you use to provide you with such sending rate? PowerMTA?

• @AlexanderM said:
    Why don't you try fix the issue of so many backups failing ;-)

It might make sense maybe?

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

That's alot of spam! LOL

• TomTom Member

@oneilonline said:
    That's alot of spam! LOL

Could say the same to you! LOL

Thanked by 2AlexanderM Aidan
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

@Tom said:

@oneilonline said:
    That's alot of spam! LOL

Could say the same to you! LOL

How did you know I ate spam!?!

• @myhken there's https://elasticemail.com/pricing/ with free 5,000 mails per day (150,000 per month, rate limited to 5,000 a day unless you pay)

Thanked by 3Aidan WebProject myhken
  • Thank you for all your replies. We actually found out that we could use our spam filter provider, since they provide us with a SMTP service.
    And since we have a high plan with them, our sent mail per day was within their limit.

AlexanderM said: Why don't you try fix the issue of so many backups failing ;-)

It's not just mails when it fails, we want every mail. This is just an backup and like a recipe that a backup actually has run, if it ever comes to a case there the data is missing.
    Symantec sends out mails for each steps it takes under each backup, that why it's so many mails.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited August 2017

Mailgun. They'll even let you do this for free (~10k emails a month, I believe) if you just want to give them a try - https://www.mailgun.com/

• TomTom Member

@jlay said:
    Mailgun. They'll even let you do this for free (~10k emails a month, I believe) - https://www.mailgun.com/

If it's 10k emails a month and he wants to send 4-5k a day... :p

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • jlayjlay Member

@Tom said:

@jlay said:
    Mailgun. They'll even let you do this for free (~10k emails a month, I believe) - https://www.mailgun.com/

If it's 10k emails a month and he wants to send 4-5k a day... :p

Aye, I edited my post a little to clarify - meant to imply it'd be good for testing. Looks like they found a solution anyway!

Thanked by 2Tom Aidan
  • I think it is not called spam if you spam yourself . Just get yourself a $10/year VPS and spam yourself to death.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • yokowasis said: I think it is not called spam if you spam yourself . Just get yourself a $10/year VPS and spam yourself to death.

correct. It turned out that we have to go for a VPS/VM on our own server, since our spam filter provider needed a max number of e-mails per hour, and since we actually don't know how many e-mails we are sending per hour, just the day total, and we know that most is sent between 8 PM and 8 AM, then we can not give a exact number per hour.
    If we give them a too high number, they will calculate the usage from that, and that will be really bad, since there is almost no mails during the day.