Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TW/SG/CA connectivity expensive?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is TW/SG/CA connectivity expensive?

lifehomelifehome Member
edited July 2017 in General

So I came across a situation that I need to fulfill both Taiwan, Singapore, Canada gamers. Both three of them are complaining HK-based server doesn’t work great, and it lags alot.

May I know will it be a huge cost or difficulty, to accomplish and satisfy these three places by only an HK server?

Comments

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Why not 1 server in 1 location to have the best game server experience for your users?

• Okay, Canada -> HK is logical.

But, TW and Singapore should have "okay" pings to HK.

• Heh, you do know how far Canada is from Hong Kong, right? If I pinged Hong Kong right now, you'd be looking at the 300-400ms range for the average host.

Perhaps QuadraNet's Asia optimized routes will work for you, I'm in Canada and get <90ms ping times to their test IP. Also, from Singapore, Hong Kong and Taipei (Taiwan), I'm getting 140-150ms ping times to QN.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Heh, you do know how far Canada is from Hong Kong, right? If I pinged Hong Kong right now, you'd be looking at the 300-400ms range for the average host.

Got 220ms from a vortexnode canada (east CA) to my HK vps from @randvegeta. Very good performance in HK and very good local asian connectivity too.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @teamacc

That's surprising to say the very least. Either @randvegeta is doing a fantastic job with routing or VortexNode is cough doing well.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • teamaccteamacc Member
    edited July 2017

@FlamesRunner said:
    @teamacc

That's surprising to say the very least. Either @randvegeta is doing a fantastic job with routing or VortexNode is cough doing well.

The network is amazing, but expensive (I've got the direct china traffic added to it). 250ms from florida to HK.

My community in the area has grown from about 2 players to 5 players from the area thanks to the network. (Yes, I run an old game with very few players still active)

Also:

PING proof.ovh.ca (192.99.19.165) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from bhs.proof.ovh.net (192.99.19.165): icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=223 ms
    64 bytes from bhs.proof.ovh.net (192.99.19.165): icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=223 ms
    64 bytes from bhs.proof.ovh.net (192.99.19.165): icmp_seq=3 ttl=47 time=231 ms
    64 bytes from bhs.proof.ovh.net (192.99.19.165): icmp_seq=4 ttl=47 time=223 ms
    64 bytes from bhs.proof.ovh.net (192.99.19.165): icmp_seq=5 ttl=47 time=223 ms
    64 bytes from bhs.proof.ovh.net (192.99.19.165): icmp_seq=6 ttl=47 time=223 ms
    64 bytes from bhs.proof.ovh.net (192.99.19.165): icmp_seq=7 ttl=47 time=223 ms
    64 bytes from bhs.proof.ovh.net (192.99.19.165): icmp_seq=8 ttl=47 time=223 ms

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • For Taiwan I can recommend Velia.net with their HK location. Have pings from Taipei of under 20ms. So perfectly fine.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@lifehome said:
    So I came across a situation that I need to fulfill both Taiwan, Singapore, Canada gamers. Both three of them are complaining HK-based server doesn’t work great, and it lags alot.

May I know will it be a huge cost or difficulty, to accomplish and satisfy these three places by only an HK server?

To be honest, bandwidth to SG, TW and CA should be good from HK and not expensive as 75% of traffic to/from these countries do not go through our Premium routes.

How much Bandwidth do you need any way?