Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone Considering the AMD Eypc Processors?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone Considering the AMD Eypc Processors?

sureiamsureiam Member
edited July 2017 in General

I've been giving them a look over recently and they seem like they would be the absolute perfect fit for the Shared Hosting, VPS, and KVM Slice space. The high amount of threads compared to an equally priced Intel while being lower in power consumption would be extremely attractive I would imagine. Then there is the huge 128 lane PCIE. The amount of SSD and NVME's that you could run off that chip would be impressive to say the least.

Looks like it's schedule for release extremely soon with super micro, dell, hp(e), and the other big boys ready to ship um out.

So whats everyone's thoughts on the new chip?

Poll not found

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

Gotta get that post count up, right?!

You should add a fourth poll item: "Not sure want AMD Eypc Chip is, but might look at AMD Epyc chips"

• It is really great to see a budget yet many cores processor coming. Which means a single processor can handle a lot more user/VM, and maybe a user can get a cheaper dedicated cores VM or dedis.

• WilliamWilliam Member
      edited July 2017

kkoneko said: It is really great to see a budget yet many cores processor coming. Which means a single processor can handle a lot more user/VM, and maybe a user can get a cheaper dedicated cores VM or dedis.

You are aware that per-core performance is lower however, right, and that all VM users continue to share the RAM in very bad (random) or computitional expensive (local to CPU only you have) bandwidth ways...

• kkonekokkoneko Member
      edited July 2017

@William said:

kkoneko said: It is really great to see a budget yet many cores processor coming. Which means a single processor can handle a lot more user/VM, and maybe a user can get a cheaper dedicated cores VM or dedis.

You are aware that per-core performance is lower however, right, and that all VM users continue to share the RAM in very bad (random) or computitional expensive (local to CPU only you have) bandwidth ways...

well at least there should be lesser "oversold" cores, considering the fact that it has many cores. Unless the provider is greedy af..

• xyzxyz Member

William said: You are aware that per-core performance is lower however, right, and that all VM users continue to share the RAM in very bad (random) or computitional expensive (local to CPU only you have) bandwidth ways...

Lower than what though? EPYC clocks around 2-3GHz, which is comparable to typical Xeon E5s. It's not at Xeon E3 level, or some of the higher Xeons that clock into the mid 3GHz range (and probably cost a fortune). But overall, it seems like per core performance will be about on-par with Intel.

EPYC supports 8 channels of RAM which is more than any Intel CPU supports, so you do get higher bandwidth vs Broadwell-EP (4 channels) or Skylake-SP (6 channels). Random access can hurt and I can't see any CPU solving that, though AMD's Zen CCX structure should limit the problem.

• @xyz said:

William said: You are aware that per-core performance is lower however, right, and that all VM users continue to share the RAM in very bad (random) or computitional expensive (local to CPU only you have) bandwidth ways...

Lower than what though? EPYC clocks around 2-3GHz, which is comparable to typical Xeon E5s. It's not at Xeon E3 level, or some of the higher Xeons that clock into the mid 3GHz range (and probably cost a fortune). But overall, it seems like per core performance will be about on-par with Intel.

EPYC supports 8 channels of RAM which is more than any Intel CPU supports, so you do get higher bandwidth vs Broadwell-EP (4 channels) or Skylake-SP (6 channels). Random access can hurt and I can't see any CPU solving that, though AMD's Zen CCX structure should limit the problem.

Exactly it's not like opteron that was much lower in IPC it's basically on par with intel at this point, especially when considering the hosting space. Apache really doesn't require that many resources per user so it could easily scale very well. Plus compared to what an old 64 thread system used to cost compared to now is night and day. Not to mention the power consumption is also reasonable. I'm just look at the processor and wondering if hosting providers are salivating at it like I am! haha

• xyz said: Lower than what though? EPYC clocks around 2-3GHz, which is comparable to typical Xeon E5s. It's not at Xeon E3 level, or some of the higher Xeons that clock into the mid 3GHz range (and probably cost a fortune). But overall, it seems like per core performance will be about on-par with Intel.

In this cases than medium and high end i7 as the customer of a "slice" would likely end up with something like this or an E3 core. Compared to E5 (especially the low clock high core models) it certainly is good, and WAYS from old AMDs.

sureiam said: Exactly it's not like opteron that was much lower in IPC it's basically on par with intel at this point, especially when considering the hosting space. Apache really doesn't require that many resources per user so it could easily scale very well

If you use Apache in 2017 you have... other issues... most likely....

EPYC certainly works well against Intel, also for the new Xeons. Ryzen in Dektop still has certain issues but is ways from like Bulldozer or AM1 per W.

EPYC has the nicer PCIe amount compare to Intel for the price point, though personally i'm more interested in Threadripper as server, or a single socket EPYC once available as real server component.

• 1P EPYC and threadripper are the most attractive.

Super sweet if threadripper is gonna support reg ecc memory.

• xyzxyz Member
      edited July 2017

William said: In this cases than medium and high end i7 as the customer of a "slice" would likely end up with something like this or an E3 core.

I couldn't quite parse that, but yes Threadripper would be excellent for high per core performance on a server (32 threads at up to 4GHz) - comparable to E3 per core performance with 4x the cores and 2x memory bandwidth, at probably 2x power draw.

• msg7086 said: Super sweet if threadripper is gonna support reg ecc memory.

Both mainboards and CPUs list ECC compatible in EU stores, so seems like it :)

https://geizhals.eu/gigabyte-x399-aorus-gaming-7-a1664932.html

Thanked by 1MikeA
    • deankdeank Member, Troll
      edited August 2017

Not right away. Need to see how stable the platform is. Let early adopters suffer.

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

New hardware always drops in price after the next generation, maybe as soon as epyc 2 is out.

• Poll not found?

As vps client, I prefer a new cpu AMD, there are some provider list that they use EPYC?

• @William said:

Both mainboards and CPUs list ECC compatible in EU stores, so seems like it :)

https://geizhals.eu/gigabyte-x399-aorus-gaming-7-a1664932.html

If the listing is correct, then it won't support reg ecc memory. It clearly says UDIMM.

• As it only lists max this seems the number AMD released only yet (else it would list the non-ECC maximum separated), so we'll still see

• sureiamsureiam Member
      edited August 2017

ThreadRipper like Ryzen and Eypc are all ECC compatible. It's only up to the mainboard (motherboard) manufacture to support it.

The 8core ThreadRipper at $550 with 64 PCI lanes and 8 core Eypc at 128 PCI lanes seem to really fill in the market need for a high PCI lane processor that doesn't break the bank.

If you use Apache in 2017 you have... other issues... most likely....

I meant more along the lines of Apache compatible like lightspeed for example.

@smicroz said:
      Poll not found?

As vps client, I prefer a new cpu AMD, there are some provider list that they use EPYC?

Not yet it's shipping out in Aug. But Dell, HP-E, Supermicro, basically all the big server guys are will be releasing products for/with it. I would also like to have a VPS with an Eypc or Threadripper core.
      In particular I think people would PAY MORE for a dedicated 3.8ghz Threadripper thread. With 32 threads available it could be a decent return for the hosting company.

• sureiam said: The 8core ThreadRipper at $550

maybe one day in the future, in Australia AMD Ryzen 1950X Threadripper has a preorder price of AUD$1,440 right now and Ryzen 1920X Threadripper at AUD$1,150

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@eva2000 said:

sureiam said: The 8core ThreadRipper at $550

maybe one day in the future, in Australia AMD Ryzen 1950X Threadripper has a preorder price of AUD$1,440 right now and Ryzen 1920X Threadripper at AUD$1,150

Jesus christ.

• @MikeA said:

@eva2000 said:

Jesus christ.

teary eyed https://www.mwave.com.au/searchresult?w=Threadripper :)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@eva2000 said:

@MikeA said:

@eva2000 said:

Jesus christ.

So what happens if people buy them from other regions and just pay a price for shipping?

• @MikeA said:

@eva2000 said:

@MikeA said:

@eva2000 said:

Jesus christ.

So what happens if people buy them from other regions and just pay a price for shipping?

In Australia imports above AUD$1,000 get slugged 10% GST tax at customs.

Thanked by 1MikeA
    • Ya island nations in general like Australia tend to have very harsh taxes on imports (which is rough because most things are imported!)

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider
      edited August 2017

I've been following the Epyc platform for a while. AMD Epyc looks very promising in benchmarks - especially if you look at the performance/dollar rating. A dual Epyc CPU configuration can outperform a dual Intel Xeon Scalable configuration which has twice the CPU costs.
      http://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade

Thanked by 1vimalware
    • @eva2000 said:

@MikeA said:

@eva2000 said:

@MikeA said:

@eva2000 said:

Jesus christ.

In Australia imports above AUD$1,000 get slugged 10% GST tax at customs.

Which is where the price premium comes from seemingly. 1150 aud=911 usd. 1920X MSRP is 799 usd. Add 10% tax on top and youre there pretty much. No idea if sales tax would come on top of that as well or not.

• Yeah it does GST + higher wagers here i.e. Pizza delivery drivers here are paid up to AUD$20/hr http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Pizza_Delivery_Driver/Hourly_Rate