Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transfer between two computers changes from 1gbit to 100mbit - no logic when/why
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transfer between two computers changes from 1gbit to 100mbit - no logic when/why

I have a recurring network issue and before I go buy a dedicated network card, I hope some people here have some ideas to where I can troubleshoot before I get a new card.

My setup.
NAS = HK Asus H97 Plus LGA1150 / CPU i5-4690K using onboard NIC = Realtek PCIe GBE
SERVER = MSI C236M Workstation, Socket-1151 / CPU Xeon E3-1245 V5

Router = Asus RT-AC87U
Switch = Netgear 8 x Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop switch

The issue happens between my SERVER and my NAS (that's just an desktop computer). Sometimes I have no issue transferring files with 1gbit speed between the two computers.
But sometimes, I only get 100mbit. Etc today, I was copying two large backup files.
The first one, and of course the biggest one (196GB) only copied with 100mbit speed.
The second file, around 70 GB copied with 1gbit speed 5-6 hours later when the first file was finish.
Both files was copied to the same drive on the SERVER, and from the same drive on the NAS.

I had this same issue with my old SERVER also (the new server is from January this year).
I have tried have both computers on the router, I have tried one computer on the router and one on the switch, and I have tried both on the switch.
I have changed Ethernet cables, they are now using Cat6 cables, from Cat5e cables before.
All the hardware is located at the same place, so it's just 1m cables.

What are I'm missing. 1gbit speeds can work for days, then some time with just 100mbit, then back to 1gbit. Today I got 100mbit on my first file, then 1gbit on the second file.
I also have seen that I get 100mbit from my NAS, and if I try right away to copy a file from my SERVER I get 1gbit.

OS: NAS = Windows 7 / SERVER = Windows Server 2016. Was Server 2012 R2 on the old server with the same issue.

Will a new NIC help, or is it OS related or my Switch/router?
It's not any traffic on my other devices on the same router/switch when I do this transferring.

Comments

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited July 2017

Must be the utp cable or the ethernetport. did you make it by your own?
    No reward this time :(

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited July 2017

ewrek said: Must be the utp cable. did you make it by your own? No reward this time :(

hehe, can't be a reward every time :D

I have tried several different utp cables, all store bought. I have the same issue with Cat5e cables and Cat6 cables. I have had this issue for a long time, and I have changed all cables three times by now. Two times I have changed all cables to all devices and between my router and switch so all cables now are Cat6 cables. The first time I changed all to Cat5e, before that I had a mix (cat5/cat5e), since several devices on my network don't need more then 100mbit speed.

• DerekDerek Member

What type of drives/caching devices are you running in your NAS/Server?

• myhkenmyhken Member

Derek said: What type of drives/caching devices are you running in your NAS/Server?

Just normal drives without RAID. When the 100mbit issue happens, it's no difference between SSD disks and normal disks.
    So I know that sometimes I will not get 1gbit if the drive is too slow, but still, I will always get more then 100mbit. (and all my disks have more then 100MB/s write speed)
    Like today, why did one file use 100mbit speed all the time (4+ hours) and then when I hit copy/paste on the second file the speed was 1gbit.
    Both files was on the same drive on the NAS and both files was copied to the same drive on the SERVER. The CPU usage and RAM usage was the same all the time. And the disks in question is not used to anything else.

But this issue happen also from my SERVER to my NAS.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Do you actually see the 100 Mbit link speed in your network card settings, or does it still show 1 Gbit, and just the transfer is slow?

• myhkenmyhken Member

rm_ said: Do you actually see the 100 Mbit link speed in your network card settings, or does it still show 1 Gbit, and just the transfer is slow?

It shows as 1gbit all the time. And then network usage is just 10% when it use 100mbit speed. The strange thing, this is just transferring to/from the my server.
    If I transfer a file, and the speed is just 100mbit, and then I try to download a file from internet on the same time on my NAS, I get full 500mbit speed there, then the network usage is 60%.

And I always get full 500mbit download speed from Internet on my NAS. (direct from my router)

So it's just the transfer between the computers that is affected.

• try disabling this feature on your NICs called "Large Send Offload" and seeing if that makes it gigabit all the time.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

@JoeMerit will try that. Can take some time before I can give a result since it do not happen all the time.

• myhkenmyhken Member

@JoeMerit I had two Large Send Offload v2 enabled. One for IPv4 and one for IPv6. I disabled both - thats OK?

• ya, cant hurt. good luck.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • hostfavhostfav Member, Host Rep

Try with Windows 7 computer's TCP Receive Window Auto-Tuning disable.

Disable using Following Command:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Enable using Following Command:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal

Thanked by 1myhken
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Could you also check duplex setting in network cards config of all your equipments ? (half/full --> should be set to full).

• Do you get the same issue copying a file to another PC? Or from another PC to that NAS?

• I used to have issues transferring files from my laptop (connected to the router) to my NAS (connected to the switch) due to unstable networking between the router and the switch.

Not sure how you are connecting them, but be sure to also check the interconnection cable if it matters.

• JoeMerit said: try disabling this feature on your NICs called "Large Send Offload" and seeing if that makes it gigabit all the time.

Just an update, this was the solution for my issue. After disabling Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4 + IPv6) I have never seen the issue again.
    Probably a Windows 7 issue, since I have not changed any settings on my Server 2016 computer.

Thank you to all that helped out in this thread, and a special thank you to @JoeMerit.

Thanked by 2Linkhost Rhys