Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux-VServer for Gameservers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux-VServer for Gameservers

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited January 2012 in General

Hey
I am planning to get a VPS with linux-vserver virtualization(from Alvotech) and run a TS3 Server + some gameservers on it.
Does anyone have experience with the performance of gameservers running on a vserver VPS? Is it slower/faster than on dedicated hardware/OpenVZ?

Comments

• Gameserver + Alvotech = a big no no
    Darn lag, ts3 is good tho, almost there for 6 months (feb 31 6 months)

• Vserver is like OpenVZ, almost no overhead. Probably less isolated in some things, but is good if the node isn't overloaded. I am looking to setup one in Edis =P

• @joodle said: Gameserver + Alvotech = a big no no

Why? Are their servers that slow? Can u recommend any other established hosting company in Europe with 512mb guaranteed RAM for 4€?

@yomero: Do you know how gameservers work with edis.at?

• Give me some minutes... xD

• tuxtux Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Why? Are their servers that slow? Can u recommend any other established hosting company in Europe with 512mb guaranteed RAM for 4€?

DotVPS?

• @joodle said: almost there for 6 months (feb 31 6 months)

If it's still up on the 31st of February, I'll give you $1000.

Thanked by 1japon
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

Ok, I'm back @gsrdgrdghd I was waiting the clock showed :00

Mostly, I run Quake 3 based gameservers.
    (You are welcome http://www.urbanterror.info/)

My primary test, run a server and fill it with bots (32).

My recent findings, show that crontab jobs can disturb the server easily. Since this is an FPS, lag spiking and connection interruptions are very bad for the players. I have a Florida box with 2 gameservers (Netrouting), access to 4 cores, and is lagging like hell since a week ago mostly by this, plus probably some abusers (and support is silent btw).

I got the smallest vserver plan of 128MB. It says 16 cores in the website, but it has 24 threads with 2 of these babies http://ark.intel.com/products/52581/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5649-(12M-Cache-2_53-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI)

The node sit at 5-6 load all the time (seems that 2 or 3 customers are using 100% of some cores), and the network is using probably less than 10-15 mbps.
    Btw is in Austria

The server survived with zero lag at the :00 cronjob

Try it one month! (I don't know how much resources you need, but the 128MB one is very cheap, so you can try it).

• Thanks @yomero :)
    Do you have the vserver or the KVM plan? Can you give me the IP of your server to check the ping?
    I'm planning to run a Killing Floor Server + Teamspeak, since Killing Floor and since Killing Floor needs 300-400mb i guess i'll have to buy the 512mb one.

btw i've checked out Urban Terror, but there were snipers everywhere :-D

• I host a KF too :D

Is vserver, the KVM ones give you just one core or two in the higher plans.

What I know, is the stupid server memory leaks like an idiot u_u

Sending you an PM with the address.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited January 2012

Thanks for the IP.
    The ping isnt that good (30ms and 15 hops from my home connection), so i guess i'll have to look into the .de location which has much less traffic :(

Does the server gave any burst RAM?

• vserver doesn't have "burst" concept.

30 ms isn't good??? ¬_¬

I have 150 ms to my servers in USA, don't cry ¬_¬

• 30ms is good for most non-competitive FPS gaming.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • 30ms ping is excellent. In counterstrike everything below <50ms was good, but that was ages ago the last time I played that
    Sigh good old CS 1.5 times.

• Well with Alvotech i have 15ms which would have been pretty awesome :D
    But i guess u only get such a good ping with providers located in Düsseldorf with peering at ECIX.
    @liam : Thanks for the test pages :)
    However i can do only speed tests, is it possible that they are dropping all pings?