Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• I was wondering why some of the install templates wouldnt let me log in after they were done installing. Its because they have root login disabled even if you dont check that box. So maybe let the overlay create a user afterall.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2017

@jvnadr said:

>

Also, for hosting 5-10 sites and convert those 4x750 7200 HDDs to Raid10 for the mysql, is a brilliant server.

Just an FYI.

I've setup exact same configuration and put my MySQL database on it. Then one of the drives goes wrong, I put that drive offline and ask them to replace that specific drive for me.

Then they pull the drives out to check which drive matches the one I said.

And I lost my array.

Hello,

I replaced the drive; however, I had to pull the drives out individually to 
    compare the serial numbers in order to know which one needed to be replaced. 
    All drives are currently in the server now including the replacement drive.

Very Respectfully

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Those 750GB drives are certainly a bit flak ain't they! 2 failures and one on the verge of going.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

OK so got my server. Installing CentOS 7 didn't work but I honestly am not going to keep trying.

Their PXE's network config is messed up for Debian 8. Loading a Debian 9 ISO now, let's see how it goes.

@Nekki, prints? any info? So we can compare.
    Haven't gathered any stats yet as I'm installing it right now.

• Installing their Debian 8 netinst iso worked for me. Centos7 plus kernel would work, but the standard doesnt have the forcedeth driver.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • S3phyS3phy Member

@MikePT said:
    OK so got my server. Installing CentOS 7 didn't work but I honestly am not going to keep trying.

Their PXE's network config is messed up for Debian 8. Loading a Debian 9 ISO now, let's see how it goes.

@Nekki, prints? any info? So we can compare.
    Haven't gathered any stats yet as I'm installing it right now.

Neither of the Debian installers worked for me, so I just asked them to hook me up with KVM. 20 minutes and I had the credentials. After that the installation had no problems using the iso on their nas.

My 750gb drives have some enormous seek and raw errors, so I am running smart tests to see if what smart thinks. No reallocated sectors... Yet.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

MikePT said: OK so got my server. Installing CentOS 7 didn't work but I honestly am not going to keep trying.

@Nekki, prints? any info? So we can compare. Haven't gathered any stats yet as I'm installing it right now.

I had a Debian 8 64-bit install go in fine without a RAID config of the 2TB disks, but I left it running overnight so no idea how long it actually took. I'm re-doing it now with RAID configured and it seems to be struggling.

Debian not working via automated installs is common, often it needs some intervention.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • None of my 750G drives have reallocated sectors, but have run for between 2 and 2,5 years.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

That Debian install was definitely dead, so I've gone for it again without RAID to see if that was the difference.

• @Nekki said:
    That Debian install was definitely dead, so I've gone for it again without RAID to see if that was the difference.

Get yourself a kvm (took them 40 minutes to attach one for me today) and install their debian 8 iso. That works fine with raid.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

MagicalTrain said: Get yourself a kvm (took them 40 minutes to attach one for me today) and install their debian 8 iso. That works fine with raid.

Where's the fun in that?

• DamianDamian Member

msg7086 said: I've setup exact same configuration and put my MySQL database on it. Then one of the drives goes wrong, I put that drive offline and ask them to replace that specific drive for me.

Then they pull the drives out to check which drive matches the one I said.

And I lost my array.

That's generic datacenter remote hands goons. This happens even when you pay thousands of dollars a month, because remote hands are usually whatever cheapest L1 people they can get that are breathing and can read.

Seriously, the criteria for remote hands tech must be "are you living?" and that's it.

Shut down the server if you want to avoid things like this. Or demand that they Facetime/Skype with you while doing so.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Non-RAID Debian install worked quickly. Going to have a fuck about now.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Aaaaand there goes another 750GB drive.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Dacentec have to be wondering is this is worth the aggro at this point, surely.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • HxxxHxxx Member

damn those HD's were roasted.. Already gone..

Thanked by 1vimalware

@Hxxx said:
    damn those HD's were roasted.. Already gone..

Yeah looks like everyone is having issues with these HDD's. I wonder if they send it to do junk or... Swap it for other customers?

Their support is nice and fast though. Superb in terms of support.
    The delivery is just... Meh, I spent a bunch of time sorting the server install to find out that it's all ruined.

• @Damian said:

Shut down the server if you want to avoid things like this. Or demand that they Facetime/Skype with you while doing so.

Lesson learned the hard way.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2017

MikePT said: I wonder if they send it to do junk or... Swap it for other customers?

In my case, my first replacement was a fairly new drive (8k hours), so hopefully they're junking the shit drives.

Hxxx said: damn those HD's were roasted.. Already gone..

How many have you lost of your 4?

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited July 2017

Now I seem to have problems afterall. Its only one disk though. Not sure its the disk itself though, its only throwing icrc abrt's, so maybe its simply not seated correctly.

And its actually one of the 2TB ones.

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:

It doesn't work because it literally sits and waits for input to get you to setup grub manually.

@Nekki said:

MikePT said: I wonder if they send it to do junk or... Swap it for other customers?

In my case, my first replacement was a fairly new drive (8k hours), so hopefully they're junking the shit drives.

Hxxx said: damn those HD's were roasted.. Already gone..

How many have you lost of your 4?
    @MagicalTrain said:
    Now I seem to have problems afterall. Its only one disk though. Not sure its the disk itself though, its only throwing icrc abrt's, so maybe its simply not seated correctly.

And its actually one of the 2TB ones.

I didn't even check all drives there. Just let them run the tests. They're pretty nice, so giving them the benefit of doubt here, as I'm planning to keep this server for a while.
    It's super cheap as well, so won't expect much.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Support have just told me they've found some kind of issue with the 750GB drives when installed them in this server.

• WSSWSS Member

This appears to be a widespread issue that has just emerged today with the 750GB drives. The issue has been escalated to an admin.

• WSSWSS Member

lol we put the cores back in for your free 3tb storage suck it or deal for a week before you hatequit and we keep your $25 kthx

• snow2ksnow2k Member

had the same problem. they wanted to change the drive. i said please change sata cable.
    the did drive and then sata cable which finally rsolved the problem.

fast support.

@Nekki said:
    Support have just told me they've found some kind of issue with the 750GB drives when installed them in this server.

@WSS said:

This appears to be a widespread issue that has just emerged today with the 750GB drives. The issue has been escalated to an admin.

@snow2k said:

had the same problem. they wanted to change the drive. i said please change sata cable.
    the did drive and then sata cable which finally rsolved the problem.

fast support.

Yeah well I pointed them to this thread, they said they weren't aware of the multiple clients reporting issues with the 750GB HDD's.
    Let's see how it ends up. All I know is, I've ordered the server, and havent' been able to use it properly, it's been 48h+.

Again, their support is superb, so I definitely am giving them the chance.

• saibalsaibal Member

Mine was delivered today morning (~6 am PDT). Got a chance to install over KVM now. However, mine only has the 2x2 TB drives. No 750G ones. Waiting on the ticket :(

• RurikoRuriko Member

Is there a stock checker script? like there is one for kimsufi