Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

jon617 said: ST2000DM001

These drives are known for poor reliability...

• Usually need to wait how many days for the server (IPMI) delivery. Thanks.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@noqqkk said:
    Usually need to wait how many days for the server (IPMI) delivery. Thanks.

It depends how many people are in the queue for IPMI and how quickly they release it.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited August 2017

qps said: These drives are known for poor reliability...

Agree completely. No RAID equals high risk here. This is a bargain basement hardware with reliable network and support. Great for backups and for anything but not-super-important things.

• @Nekki said:

@noqqkk said:
    Usually need to wait how many days for the server (IPMI) delivery. Thanks.

It depends how many people are in the queue for IPMI and how quickly they release it.

Thanks Nekki. Do you know they have default Centos 7 image provided or not. Since I just found Centos 6 for selection during order the server, no other choice requested IPMI for Centos 7 installation. Thanks.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

noqqkk said: Thanks Nekki. Do you know they have default Centos 7 image provided or not. Since I just found Centos 6 for selection during order the server, no other choice requested IPMI for Centos 7 installation. Thanks.

Looks like there are two CentOS 7 images, CentOS 7 (latest) or Centos 7 (latest) Single Disk - no idea what either does as I'm a Debian kinda' guy.

• @Nekki said:

noqqkk said: Thanks Nekki. Do you know they have default Centos 7 image provided or not. Since I just found Centos 6 for selection during order the server, no other choice requested IPMI for Centos 7 installation. Thanks.

Looks like there are two CentOS 7 images, CentOS 7 (latest) or Centos 7 (latest) Single Disk - no idea what either does as I'm a Debian kinda' guy.

Thanks again Nekki. I will cancel the IPMI request that I can get the server early.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited August 2017

Looks like I will be waiting a long time, as got the last
    Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1385

• Disks are falling like flies after injected with Raid (the spray, not the disk array!). But replacement is immediate and support is really top-notch. "Protected" by raid 10, array is now resyncing. Old hardware but with dead price and the best support I have ever seen in cheap dedi provider!

Thanked by 2Iam MikePT
  • @noqqkk said:

@Nekki said:

Thanks again Nekki. I will cancel the IPMI request that I can get the server early.

You might wanna keep that KVM. Earlier in the thread it was said that Centos7 does not support these machines with its standard kernel. And if its the same images from before, they are standard images in the panel and will fail to install on this hardware.

@Dacentec should probably disable the images that are known to not work for each machine, honestly. It just leads to confusion.

• @MagicalTrain said:

You might wanna keep that KVM. Earlier in the thread it was said that Centos7 does not support these machines with its standard kernel. And if its the same images from before, they are standard images in the panel and will fail to install on this hardware.

@Dacentec should probably disable the images that are known to not work for each machine, honestly. It just leads to confusion.

Support told me - Centos 7 will not work

"Hello,

I apologize, can you please clarify what your request is? If you are wanting CentOS 7 installed on the server, I'm afraid for that version of CentOS there is not a driver for the NIC on your server model.

Sincerely,
    Jesse

08/14/2017 17:22:14 "

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@qps said:

jon617 said: ST2000DM001

These drives are known for poor reliability...

The dreaded Seagate DOOM drives. M000 was much less reliable though. If they've been running 3.5/4.5 years without glaring errors then they should be.. okay. Not good or great, just okay. RAID 1 recommended.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited August 2017

painfreepc said: Support told me - Centos 7 will not work

Same here. Tried CentOS 7 (again) with this new server. Attempted a bunch of different ISOs (different versions and sizes) and boot kernel parameters, none would even boot the ISO. If really a network driver issue, why would it not boot (then give errors when configuring the network interfaces)? I would hope there may be a boot kernel parameter to disable whatever causes the installer bootup to timeout & die, or a PXE boot-like installer that works. Looks like Dacentec has given up trying CentOS 7, so have I. No problems with CentOS 6.

edited August 2017

@jon617 said:

Nopainfreepc said: Support told me - Centos 7 will not work

Same here. Tried CentOS 7 (again) with this new server. Attempted a bunch of different ISOs (different versions and sizes) and boot kernel parameters, none would even boot the ISO. If really a network driver issue, why would it not boot (then give errors when configuring the network interfaces)? I would hope there may be a boot kernel parameter to disable whatever causes the installer bootup to timeout & die, or a PXE boot-like installer that works. Looks like Dacentec has given up trying CentOS 7, so have I.

I may return the server, we have 7 days to get refund. It's nearly 3 days still no server, from what I read here it looks like the server doesn't even really have enough power to even run raid..

my only experience is setting up VPS, I have no experience using a KVM on a dedicated server, I have used KVM to install OS image on a VPS,

I think they're going to give me the /29 I have never set up multiple IP..

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited August 2017

painfreepc said: ...looks like the server doesn't even really have enough power to even run raid..

Getting 40 MBytes/sec sequential writes on my 2TB disks (RAID-1) with my initial tests.

• painfreepc said: it looks like the server doesn't even really have enough power to even run raid..

Who said that? Of course the server can run RAID smoothly, I have already setup a raid 1 (the two primary discs) and a raid 10 (the other 4).

painfreepc said: my only experience is setting up VPS, I have no experience using a KVM on a dedicated server, I have used KVM to install OS image on a VPS,

This is your issue. But it is a cheap enough server to learn things. You will hardly find a powerful enough server with so much space, a /29 and free loan of an IPMI for that price.

painfreepc said: I think they're going to give me the /29 I have never set up multiple IP..

The /29 is default for those servers. Setting up this is extremely easy. Especially if you run Proxmox and do virtualization taking profit from all the available ipv4.

• jon617 said: Getting avg of 40 MBytes/sec sequential writes on my 2TB disks (RAID-1).

Getting avg. 120MB/s to the 2 primary disks (2TB) and 110MB/s to the RAID10 *the other 4 disks)

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited August 2017

jvnadr said: Getting avg. 120MB/s to the 2 primary disks (2TB) and 110MB/s to the RAID10 *the other 4 disks)

Sounds about right, definitely fast enough for RAID. I'm processing data while writing, so the a CPU cores take a big hit for what I'm doing (slows down my writes), but yeah the CPU handling software RAID is no problem.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jvnadr said:

jon617 said: Getting avg of 40 MBytes/sec sequential writes on my 2TB disks (RAID-1).

Getting avg. 120MB/s to the 2 primary disks (2TB) and 110MB/s to the RAID10 *the other 4 disks)

140MB/s on the RAID 1, 170-180MB/s on the RAID 10 for me. Seemed to have lucked out with some decent drives, new 1TBs are much better than the 750s.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
    edited August 2017

I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting decent speeds with the raid,

Hey you know what you guys are right I got 8 terabytes of space, 4 terabytes after I add raid,

And 5 usable IPS for only $25, and only five bucks for another 10 terabytes of bandwidth,
    i will be a total fool to give it back,

As I'm writing here I guess got the email saying my server has been delivered,

I am not a dumb person I do have a very logical mind the problem I'm having is finding all the information for some of the problems you guys have presented in this trend..

• @Harambe said:

@jvnadr said:

jon617 said: Getting avg of 40 MBytes/sec sequential writes on my 2TB disks (RAID-1).

140MB/s on the RAID 1, 170-180MB/s on the RAID 10 for me. Seemed to have lucked out with some decent drives, new 1TBs are much better than the 750s.

You!!!! Yes you stop stealing all the good stuff and leave some for some other people will ya? :P

• NekkiNekki Veteran

So torn on whether to keep these..they're only really useful for storage/backup up to the location, specs and the funky disks, but $3.12 per GB is solid pricing.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    So torn on whether to keep these..they're only really useful for storage/backup up to the location, specs and the funky disks, but $3.12 per GB is solid pricing.

Its an awesome offer with excellent support and great network. I really love these guys.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MikePT said:

@Nekki said:

Its an awesome offer with excellent support and great network. I really love these guys.

I don't disagree, the question is whether they're a good fit for my plans or not.

I really have to stop buying stuff that doesn't fit the blueprint.

Thanked by 2MikePT 17brownj
  • TomTom Member

Ok, dacentec is fucking awesome. This is my first box with them, the support has been top notch! +1 from me, finally got my server up 'n' running.

• Nekki said: but $3.12 per GB TB is solid pricing.

FTFY

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Harambe said: The dreaded Seagate DOOM drives. M000 was much less reliable though. If they've been running 3.5/4.5 years without glaring errors then they should be.. okay. Not good or great, just okay. RAID 1 recommended.

The ST2000DM001 is slightly better than the ST1000DM003 or ST3000DM001, but all of the drives from this series are terrible.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Nekki said:

@MikePT said:

@Nekki said:

I don't disagree, the question is whether they're a good fit for my plans or not.

Yeah I seen you just bought a SYS server. Youre much more server powa/storageaddicted than I am. And that is... Rare.
    You need to learn how to resist!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MikePT said:

@Nekki said:

@MikePT said:

@Nekki said:

Yeah I seen you just bought a SYS server. Youre much more server powa/storageaddicted than I am. And that is... Rare.
    You need to learn how to resist!

Yeah, I know - I’ve pissed far too much money up the wall this month on servers that are just idling; a couple of KS-3C’s idling for a month or two is no big deal because over time they’re still a bargain; right now, I have about £120 worth of others servers doing next to nothing because I’ve got myself tangled in a mess of buying new servers whilst trying to re-engineer my solution.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:
    Yeah, I know - I’ve pissed far too much money up the wall this month on servers that are just idling; a couple of KS-3C’s idling for a month or two is no big deal because over time they’re still a bargain; right now, I have about £120 worth of others servers doing next to nothing because I’ve got myself tangled in a mess of buying new servers whilst trying to re-engineer my solution.

That sure is a lot of words for "bought while drunk and horny".

Thanked by 1raynor