Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

X4B Review (Great DDoS Protection and Support)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

X4B Review (Great DDoS Protection and Support)

I ordered DDoS protection from X4B.net over 7 months. They are really great and I have never gotten DDoS attack again after using their DDoS protection.

I am using their Gre-Tunnel for DDoS protection. I do not know too much about Gre-Tunnel but they provide a script and you just need to download and install it to your VPS then the Gre-Tunnel will be worked automatically.

Recently, they released a new plan so that I changed to the new plan immediately.

After changed to new plan, I found my VPS couldn’t connect to Gre-Tunnel with unknown reason. Contacted their support and they provided several solutions via ticket but the problem couldn’t be solved.

Finally, X4B Mathew who login to my VPS via SSH and he just spent 10 minutes then the problem was solved. Although they charged me $35 for this support, it was really worth due to save my time.

Thanked by 1SplitIce

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the great review. I am glad we have been able to solve your problem.

And thanks for being patient for those hours it took me to be ready to tackle your management case.

Thanked by 2CConner kkrajk
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited July 2017

Used them several times in very hard times when from everywhere came to my mini-project a lot of destructive attacks. I can't say good things about L4 DDoS protection layer (because it has been nullrouted (over 40Gbit/s and one over 100Gbit/s (it was in 2014 or 2015)) which throw me to null-route. But what about L7 DDoS protection - this is absolutely incredible and very nice provider. They helped me to survive against a lot of trash and bad people for a very long period of time (attackers did non-stop DDoS against my site in 2015 for more than 3 weeks), and all of the attacks were mitigated without any impact to the webserver.

Thanked by 1SplitIce
  • WickedWicked Member

X4B has an amazing website and user interface but support is very rude. I was basically told to fuck off and find another provider when I told them about my issues and what could be causing it. I have been with tons of providers over the years but I’ll never forget X4B.

And every time there were issues it was something on my end - which was bullshit because I had a friend on the same node and he had the same problems.

This was 2 years ago.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
    edited July 2017

@desperand I'm glad you too had a good experience. FYI If you are in need of more than the advertised Layer 4 protection we can do custom plans. Unfortunately however these can be quite a bit more pricey than our standard pricing as it ceases being a cost spread over hundreds of users (and we actually offer what we sell, none of this up to crap).

@Wicked If you have a ticket number I'd happily take a look. I'm pretty sure if we politely asked you to not renew your service it would be after extensive attempts at supporting you, tos violation, support abuse or something similar. It's a pretty rare occurrence.

• desperand said: elped me to survive against a lot of tra

• My expierence with them is negative. This morning i found it that all my services behind the firewall were unreachable. After some checks i looked on my dashboard and noticed that i was over my bandwidth quota. So far so good, but this happend instantly in the middle of the night without any prior notice. It seems they had a backlog on bandwidth monitoring according to their support. So my quesion why i did not receive a 24 grace period if this was the case i get no response apart that i need a higher plan. Also on the question on who is going to pay the bill for the outage i get no response.

So , summary after sending 6 mails over ... their support staff is autistic and are they are not capable of overseeing the consequenses of their actions. Be warned because this can cost you a lot of money.

Thanked by 1Luke007
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

wijnandschouten said: Also on the question on who is going to pay the bill for the outage i get no response.

...You would pay it, you went over.

If I overfill my car with gas I can't march into the store and demand they pay for the "overage".

Francisco

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

wijnandschouten said: their support staff is autistic

This phrase tells me a lot about what kind of customer you are...

• @wijnandschouten said:
    My expierence with them is negative. This morning i found it that all my services behind the firewall were unreachable. After some checks i looked on my dashboard and noticed that i was over my bandwidth quota. So far so good, but this happend instantly in the middle of the night without any prior notice. It seems they had a backlog on bandwidth monitoring according to their support. So my quesion why i did not receive a 24 grace period if this was the case i get no response apart that i need a higher plan. Also on the question on who is going to pay the bill for the outage i get no response.

So , summary after sending 6 mails over ... their support staff is autistic and are they are not capable of overseeing the consequenses of their actions. Be warned because this can cost you a lot of money.

You shouldn't expect a 24 hour Grace period, but sounds like you got one due to their delayed monitoring.

Unless your 6 emails are to say "take my money for the higher plan", it would be you having the comprehension problems.

I think the only valid complaint is not getting a notification at 90% so you can address it before it's too late. A feature I'll be looking for in my next provider. None of the 4-5 I use have that feature, AFAIK.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@wijnandschouten When are you going to take personal responsibility and have a backup plan? Really if it cost you alot of money then I would have multiple backup plans. Really you are the only one to blame for piss poor planning if this was a truly a money making adventure.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why necro..

edited July 2019

Hi,

@wijnandschouten Firstly lets set a few facts.

1. We do send notifications when a user is close to exceeding their bandwidth limit. Historically this has been set at 15%. It will be as of the next software roll out set at 20%. Due to some internal limitations this is sent only once every 30 days at most, and the limit conditions are checked every 6 hours. I do understand that on smaller plans (i.e 25GB - 350GB) this may not be sufficient. I am open to suggestions for these.
    2. On late 25th - 26th GMT we started executing a backlog of usage logs (we use an transaction log style system) that had been building up. We executed these over the course of 24 hours (accelerated pace due to fixing an issue causing low performance). On completion we realized that backlogs were not being attributed to their date from the log, instead attributed to the current day (and this was fixed for the future). Before executing the accelerated backlog we ran over the logs offline (on the 24th) and extracted a list of any service for which executing the backlog would result in a usage exceeding 90% of their purchased limits, if that was the case we removed them from the list and billed only for that amount. In retrospect I probably would have just forgiven that usage for those users if I was to do it again.
    3. We do have plans that we offer typically to our business clients that are charge on overage. Suspend on overage is the default to ensure that you do not receive unexpected charges. The charge is set at the PAYG per GB rate.
    4. Even with this we had a couple users contact us about this peak, in some cases where a polite support ticket was opened we just forgave it all (one off).

We hope to prevent unexpected usage suspensions to help with this the next software roll out will include:

1. A prediction based bandwidth alert that will send an alert (requirement: a few days into your current plan, non-trial, non-PAYG) if given your current usage amounts you will exceed 85% of your current plans capacity.

2. More frequent evaluation of the notification checks.

3. Improved processing speed to prevent backlogs building up in the future. Correct dates for usage, not processing (i.e what has already rolled out). I'll also look into the once every 30 day restriction and see if it can instead be integrated into the services billing period in case a user gets the alerts frequently.

The idea of a grace period appeals to me, it would certainly be going above and beyond the industry standard. However I just know people will abuse it. Order a 25GB LET plan (or trial), push out / receive 9Gbps sustained for 24-hours. Good Deal.

I understand our usage tracking system is showing it's age a little with only a single alert (and a non-configurable one at that). It's one of our oldest modules of code, however an entire replacement is not planned at this time. I do however hope the changes planned will help you better plan your bandwidth usage.

edited July 2019

I had a discussion with a user of ours who requested the following notification thresholds. I suspect we will roll with them. Last 20% alerts just for cases like this run the chance of getting ignored.

Low Thresholds:
    - 75% if < 350GB
    - 80% if <= 2TB
    - 85% if > 2TB