Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inode Allocation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Inode Allocation?

DalCompDalComp Member
edited July 2013 in General

Recently ordered a new VPS and moved my files, but apparently I'm hitting the inode limit midway.

df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/xvda1           2621440 2621440       0  100% /
none                  126946       1  126945    1% /dev/shm
/usr/tmpDSK           128016      19  127997    1% /tmp

I never had inode issues previously. Is this something that the provider would/could increase?

Also, what/how is typical inode allocation on a VPS?

Thanks!

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited July 2013

Wow, more than 2 million files?

Since this is Xen and not OpenVZ, the provider is not setting any inode limits for you. The number of inodes is determined automatically at the time the file system is created. It can't be changes after that.

There is an option to make create a file system with more inodes (-N to mke2fs), but with installation templates i don't see a way to use the flag. Your best bet would be getting a VPS with larger disk (the inodes number would be larger then too).

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • @rds100 said:
    Wow, more than 2 million files?

Since this is Xen and not OpenVZ, the provider is not setting any inode limits for you. The number of inodes is determined automatically at the time the file system is created. It can't be changes after that.

There is an option to make create a file system with more inodes (-N to mke2fs), but with installation templates i don't see a way to use the flag. Your best bet would be getting a VPS with larger disk (the inodes number would be larger then too).

Before the template is extracted, the host node does create the filesystem. You could ask your host to increase your limit on inodes, but it is going to be a painful and manual process that most providers wouldn't bother doing at LEB's rates.

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • DalCompDalComp Member
    edited July 2013

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

The provider apparently also has issues with SolusVM disk usage report. It doesn't change from initial template installation (~890MB), no matter how much I actually use on the VPS. Not sure if the two issues are related.

Well, looks like I'm on the hunt for another VPS.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @DalComp said:
    I see. Thanks for the explanation.

The provider apparently also has issues with SolusVM disk usage report. It doesn't change from initial template installation (~890MB), no matter how much I actually use on the VPS. Not sure if the two issues are related.

Well, looks like I'm on the hunt for another VPS.

Its not instantly updated. I'm not sure what the frequency is but have you given it at least 24 hours?

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited July 2013

@InfiniteTech said:
    Its not instantly updated. I'm not sure what the frequency is but have you given it at least 24 hours?

18 hours actually. I just reinstalled the VPS with another template. Perhaps I should've waited longer?
    The provider is working on this issue, though his words implies that he too expects quick updates on Solus disk usage numbers.

• Provider fixed SolusVM disk quota issue. Inode allocations seems to be not "fixable", though. Time for a new server.

Mods please close this thread. Thanks all.

• rds100rds100 Member

Choose a VPS with larger disk space, because the number of inodes per GB of space would be calculated by the same formula everywhere.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited July 2013

@rds100 I noticed that almost all my OpenVZ VPS have 2048 bytes-per-inode, while this Xen has 16384 bytes-per-inode. I guess that's why I ran out of inodes quickly.
    My KVMs have 16384 as well, but I don't need high inode limit on them and people says KVM inodes can be increased easily.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • i'm also facing same this issue. my provider is kidding me that its software issue.
    [root@vps1 ~]# df -i Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on /dev/vda1 2621440 2621035 405 100% / tmpfs 978723 1 978722 1% /dev/shm /dev/vdb 3276800 540991 2735809 17% /home2 /usr/tmpDSK 105664 26 105638 1% /tmp [root@vps1 ~]# df -i Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on /dev/vda1 2621440 2621085 355 100% / tmpfs 978723 1 978722 1% /dev/shm /dev/vdb 3276800 540993 2735807 17% /home2 /usr/tmpDSK 105664 26 105638 1% /tmp

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2017

csofts said: i'm also facing same this issue. my provider is kidding me that its software issue

Is this OpenVZ? Because if not, then your provider is not likely wrong. (Spoiler alert, I already know it's not OpenVZ)

• there are two solutions . reformat your disk or clean your inodes file. mostly if you are using WHM/ cPanel then you will must have sessions log and temp files. you can clean this .