Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to replace drives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time to replace drives?

jkr16jkr16 Member
edited July 2017 in Help

On my home server I currently have 2x1TB hard drives for backups and file sharing. The drives have been running for a long time as you can see from the crystal disk image. I was wondering if they've had their day yet? They're enterprise DELL branded drives, but actually Seagate. The original warranty was 5 years which has since passed.

Comments

• AidanAidan Member

They still seem fine, though it's time to start making backups ASAP.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2017

@Aidan said:
    They still seem fine, though it's time to start making backups ASAP.

Yikes, he has a lot of realloc sectors :(

Not bad for a ~7 year old drive though.

• rbarrierbarrie Member
    edited August 2017

I'd advise making a backup right now. Are they in a RAID array or just independent disks? If they're in a RAID, make a backup, order drives, and replace them one at a time and rebuild the RAID until you've got new disks. As always, you take the risk that another drive will fail during the rebuild and that you will need to restore from backup to a new array.

• 60k hours is a lot hours. 05 and C5 indicates weak and unstable sectors, and probably already losing some data on those. I'd suggest replacing it asap.