Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a large display phone / small tablet to use as an "e-reader"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a large display phone / small tablet to use as an "e-reader"

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited July 2017 in General

The reason why I dont want a natural "E-Reader" is because it often limits your selection and there are some manga apps Id like to use which run on Android OS :P

So all in all I am looking for an "E-Reader" alternative phone/tablet in the low price range up to ~100-150€.

Things that are important:

• Relatively large display.

• Android OS

• Long battery run time (can be offline mode I dont care)

• "good"/bright display (unfortunately it wont be as sun resistent as a natural e-reader I fear)

• SD slot would be nice

• Everything else isn't too important. I got my regular phone for that. This is just for reading.

Comments

• BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
    edited July 2017

Get an E-reader (e ink) if you plan to read on it. Tablets and mobiles will make your eyes red.

Thanked by 2joepie91 arda
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2017

@BecomeWebHost said:
    Get an E-reader if you plan to read on it. Tablets and mobiles will make your eyes red.

Im an alien already dont you worry :P

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost
  • @Ympker said:

@BecomeWebHost said:
    Get an E-reader if you plan to read on it. Tablets and mobiles will make your eyes red.

Im an alien already dont you worry

hahaha :D OK then!

• Xiaomi mi max2 is the goto.

If you can find a mi max/mix for cheaper, then get that. all round gaming medium high gaming phablet

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • edfoxedfox Member

Xiaomi redmi note 3 pro prime

Thanked by 2Ympker k0nsl
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

^ Checking it out thanks :)

• ScienceOnlineScienceOnline Member
    edited July 2017

I got a Landvo max for that,
    Display: 6.0 inch, 1280 x 720 ,
    Battery 3300 mAh,
    Android 6,
    Fingerprint,
    I paid 59 euro (amazon)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@ScienceOnline said:
    Battery 3300 mAh,
    Android 6,
    Fingerprint,
    I paid 59 euro (amazon)

Looks nice :) Satisfied?

• @Ympker said:

@ScienceOnline said:
    Battery 3300 mAh,
    Android 6,
    Fingerprint,
    I paid 59 euro (amazon)

Looks nice :) Satisfied?

Yes, it works just fine.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • edfoxedfox Member

1280x720 at 6 inches is pretty darn low tho

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

The HOMTOM HT7 Pro would probably be another option. The HT7s are pretty big (5.5 inch):

EDIT: Do keep in mind that battery life is very strongly dependent on whether you use the screen and how brightly it is lit. The HT7 has fairly normal smartphone battery life, but if you constantly have the backlight on high brightness, it'll still run out relatively quickly.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Why not a simple Amazon Fire 7 Tablet

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GEW27DA

Thanked by 2Ympker bluesega
  • @rajprakash said:
    Why not a simple Amazon Fire 7 Tablet

Second that, get a Fire or a Kindle, it's great for reading and unbeatable in terms of pricing.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@BecomeWebHost said:
    Get an E-reader (e ink) if you plan to read on it. Tablets and mobiles will make your eyes red.

I read 20+ hours a week on an iPad with no issues. OTOH the Kindle's refresh makes me ill.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@raindog308 said:

@BecomeWebHost said:

I read 20+ hours a week on an iPad with no issues. OTOH the Kindle's refresh makes me ill.

I totally forgot I had an idle ipad haha :P I might acctually check if this works for me. But accessing the file system on ios is a pain :/

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rajprakash said:
    Why not a simple Amazon Fire 7 Tablet

Step up to the 8 and get better performance, and still spend way less than most decent tablets. Cheap Android tablets can be a good way to throw away money, Amazon has really cornered that "under $150" section.

Thanked by 2Ympker Nekki
  • Take a look at the ZTE ZMax Pro

Google dropped SD slots and referred to SD cards as "stone age computing" which really pissed me off...what they're really saying is "we want to rape our customers on overpriced storage".

Yeah, @Ympker using iOS is a filesystem-free experience, alas...and I think jailbreaking is all but dead sadly.

I use GoodReader for quite literally thousands of PDFs, and I think Marvin for epub (which GR handled those), though Marvin sucks. Oh, and various comic book readers...haven't settled on a favorite there.

For all of it, I keep a directory on Dropbox which has all my ebooks & stuff. Most apps are good about Dropbox support, so I just download from there or periodically synchronize.

I also use the Kindle app.

Thanked by 1vedran
  • pcanpcan Member

The suggested Amazon Fire 7 is also a sturdy tablet. It does take quite a lot of abuse without breaking. Wi-Fi is working fine and battery is good, that's not a given for this price. The downsides: screen is not very bright, resolution is low, camera is bad. It was priced incredibly low during last Amazon day, I guess it will be discounted again at black friday. I also tried a generic cheap tablet that was supposedly better, but I the end I use the Fire. I recently upgraded to Fire HD 8 and it is even better. Best cheap Android tablets ever.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

If you're reading manga, I personally recommend the Fire 8 HD. The Fire 7 display is just a touch too small and the resolution just a touch too low for reading comics in my experience.

Thanked by 1Ympker

What if I'm reading tentacle hentai manga?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:

The biggest iPad Pro Apple are currently selling.

• @Nekki said:

@raindog308 said:

The biggest iPad Pro Apple are currently selling.

Take caution! It may look bad on larger displays. (make sure it's in 4 f*cking K!)

• WSSWSS Member

I'll sell you a Kindle Keyboard 3. It has a whole audio subsystem, will read books, and has 4GB of storage. You can go weeks between charges if you remember to turn off the radio.

• @raindog308 said:

@BecomeWebHost said:

lol, I have opposite condition.

• I read somewhere that When you see in the screen the blue light harms your eyes.
    • I also read somewhere that blue light will make your eyes blink less.

these two facts are true for me, may be everyone is different :)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2017

Gonna start looking into how well I can get along with using my iPad for my manga addiction :P
    @Nekki any good reads you can recommend though? Was gonna read JoJo's or Berserk next but maybe something else is interesting too ;D

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ympker said:
    Gonna start looking into how well I can get along with using my iPad for my manga addiction :P
    @Nekki any good reads you can recommend though? Was gonna read JoJo's or Berserk next but maybe something else is interesting too ;D

I would recommend both of those (particularly Berserk and the 3rd and 4th JoJo stories, Stardust Crusaders being probably the best), and if you like those I'd suggest Gantz which is an insane gothic horror sci-fi action series. Continuing with the same dark seinen vibe, I'd also recommend Battle Royale, and it's worth checking out Attack on Titan too.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

I would recommend both of those (particularly Berserk and the 3rd and 4th JoJo stories, Stardust Crusaders being probably the best), and if you like those I'd suggest Gantz which is an insane gothic horror sci-fi action series. Continuing with the same dark seinen vibe, I'd also recommend Battle Royale, and it's worth checking out Attack on Titan too.

Alright I guess I will read them then :P I've found out about JoJo when I bumped into an airing JoJo Series a couple months ago and I really liked Speedwagon haha :P
    If you wanna give me some more recommendations based on what I like you can checkout my MAL profile at mal.ympker.net :)
    I've already watched AoT (S1 only though)^^ I've heard about Gantz it's supposedly very good.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ympker said:

Alright I guess I will read them then :P I've found out about JoJo when I bumped into an airing JoJo Series a couple months ago and I really liked Speedwagon haha :P
    If you wanna give me some more recommendations based on what I like you can checkout my MAL profile at mal.ympker.net :)
    I've already watched AoT (S1 only though)^^ I've heard about Gantz it's supposedly very good.

If you've only seen the stuff with Speedwagon in then you're in for a treat, the best is still to come.

I see you like your sports anime. I've been lost since Haikyu! finished, and I'm still waiting for the second season of Days. Clean Freak! has potential though- a germaphobe ex under-16 international footballer joins a school with a crap team simply because the school has nice toilets. The sort of mental story that you only get away with in anime.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

try Acer tablet, 10.6" is under £129

Thanked by 1Ympker