Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest in 525GB KVM Storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any interest in 525GB KVM Storage?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited July 2013 in General

Anyone interest in the below? Anything you'd like changed / modified? It'd be a special of course.

Specs will be:

KVM
1 vCPU shared (Xeon E3 V3)
512MB RAM
525GB RAID50 storage (Enterprise WD HDD + LSI RAID card + BBU)
2100GB bandwidth (shared Gigabit)
$7/month

Thanked by 1raza19

Comments

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited July 2013

Similiar to what I'm used to with Backupsy. Will there be limitations on what can be run?

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited July 2013

Yes, definitely! Where's the order link? :-D

• Why would you go with unorthodox allocations such as 525GB and 2100GB?

• it looks nice!,Pm order url

• @mpkossen said:
    Yes, definitely! Where's the order link? :-D

It's just an expression of interest at this point, but thanks for the interest.

@serverian said:
    Why would you go with unorthodox allocations such as 525GB and 2100GB?

bandwidth is 4x the amount of storage. As to storage space, just happens to evenly divide up the space available etc.

• @concerto49 said:

Ah I see. Well, great! Good luck! :)

• @joelgm said:
    Similiar to what I'm used to with Backupsy. Will there be limitations on what can be run?

Nothing against our usual TOS. That's about it. Same with our previous storage solutions that are working fine for customers.

@serverian said:
    Ah I see. Well, great! Good luck! :)

Thanks. It's a different idea though if you're wondering - it's new CPU, new hardware etc. Different types of HDD. Will be colo in our own rack. We have our own routers / gear etc.

• prae5prae5 Member

I'm interested

• TravTrav Member

I'm interested :)

• RelipRelip Member

For only $7? How that can be possible?

• @concerto49 any plans to allow 1TB of storage and at least 2-3 TB bandwidth?

• MikeInMikeIn Member

@finlandvps I think you can combine 2 similar plan (thought taking permission/ knowledge in adv. is a nice idea)...

• GunterGunter Member

@Relip said:
    For only $7? How that can be possible?

Overselling.

Well technically kinda, since he's selling off the rest of his HDD allocation. But the majority of his customers will use less than that, hovering between 1GB and 125GB rather than using the full 525GB.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@darknyan said:
    Well technically kinda, since he's selling off the rest of his HDD allocation. But the majority of his customers will use less than that, hovering between 1GB and 125GB rather than using the full 525GB.
    @darknyan said:

KVM Disk Space is not easily oversold like OpenVZ

• You can do it via Sparse LVM Provisioning. It's just not an easy to use button in SolusVM.

• @darknyan said:

This isn't overselling (I know how this is set out to work). Concerto has already said in the thread "it's new CPU, new hardware etc. Different types of HDD. Will be colo in our own rack. We have our own routers / gear etc."

Which is true (hence the Haswell CPU etc); the nodes will be dedicated for storage only. We can provide such pricing because we have our own rack, routers etc.

"KVM Disk Space is not easily oversold like OpenVZ"

That too. I hope this explains it a bit better :)

• GunterGunter Member
    edited July 2013

I get that, but KVM diskspace can still be oversold. Even if it's new gear, that only contradicts the statement of selling whatever allocation he has left.

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@Magiobiwan said:
    It's just not an easy to use button in SolusVM.

My main point

• RelipRelip Member

Oh, sparse...

@jkr1711 If it is not overselling, how can you reach the break-even point?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2013

with a RAID50 and a large HDD buying deal + some ram overselling.
    It's nowhere near impossible to do this at this price.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    edited July 2013

@concerto49 is this rented or own hw?

I don't see this possible with rent, own would take more then 5-6 months as well

• jkr1711jkr1711 Member
    edited July 2013

@Relip said:
    Oh, sparse...

jkr1711 If it is not overselling, how can you reach the break-even point?
    @William said:
    with a RAID50 and a large HDD buying deal + some ram overselling.
    It's nowhere near impossible to do this at this price.
    @INIZ said:
    concerto49 is this rented or own hw?

I don't see this possible with rent, own would take more then 5-6 months as well

@Relip @INIZ

As explained earlier "Will be colo in our own rack. We have our own routers / gear etc." We have our own 42U rack in Dallas, own IPs, own network, own hardware etc. Basically we have full control over pretty much everything. @William is correct, RAID 50 and good deals on Enterprise WDs.

The disks wont be oversold, we've got it all worked out.

• I would love another backup VPS to go with my Backupsy.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited July 2013

@jkr1711 said:
    As explained earlier "Will be colo in our own rack. We have our own routers / gear etc." We have our own 42U rack in Dallas, own IPs, own network, own hardware etc. Basically we have full control over pretty much everything. @William is correct, RAID 50 and good deals on Enterprise WDs.

Just curious, your current Dallas, TX LG/WHT Posts is Ionity so are you them? Whats your ASN If it's not?

• @INIZ We decided to go elsewhere for the rack. New rack is with Cologix, application with ARIN is in the processing stages and everything should be ready soon. This thread was designed to see if there's any interest for products like this/what type of products we should dabble into with our increased capabilities.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited July 2013

Just to clarify: will be staying with ionity. This is just something extra. Not prices they will be doing obviously. Different market has different audience and uses.

It's owned hardware. 12x4tb wd se drives.

Why is it impossible? Someone's already doing 500gb and no one's saying that's impossible? Feel free to go to superbiiz or somewhere else and work out hardware costs.

Having said that we ordered a large batch of parts to fill the rack :p so some discounts here.

• People don't seem to understand that when you order $30,000 in parts from a company you get awesome discounts. I've seen bulk orders that are 60% off of retail just because they ordered a metric fuckton of parts

• GunterGunter Member

Would there be a limit as to what we can run on our VPS like Backupsy USA? Like websites,. e. g.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    edited July 2013

@joelgm said: Similiar to what I'm used to with Backupsy. Will there be limitations on what can be run?

Already asked:

Nothing against our usual TOS. That's about it. Same with our previous storage solutions that are working fine for customers.

• Yes. Sounds good.