Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NGINX/Apache tweaks for large download file site?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NGINX/Apache tweaks for large download file site?

Are there any good measures/tweaks/settings that are best other than default for a large download site?

The site is just a simple php listing script with downloads ranging between 50mb-2GB with heavy traffic. Not having issues but was just curious on optimising it a bit.

Specs: E5 , 16GB ram if that helps for settings wise.

And one other thing, for awhile now I've noticed random IPs at times downloading 30-90GB a day! There's honestly no reason for anything more than 10GB per IP in most cases. I suspected maybe VPN, TOR, etc but the IPs are usually Based in Veit or Pakistan. Is there anyway to redirect IP addresses once they've downloaded a large chunk?

Thanks!

Comments

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

What you can do is serve the downloads through a PHP script. You can have more control over who is downloading what and when and how often by implementing, for example, a rate limiting script.

Thanked by 2HuntersPad sayem314
  • niknik Member, Host Rep

If you have problems with the disks not being fast enough for the port speed you could use the nginx cache functionality or deliver the most used files from RAM in general.

• @CConner said:
    What you can do is serve the downloads through a PHP script. You can have more control over who is downloading what and when and how often by implementing, for example, a rate limiting script.

Would I be able to implement it in a way that it does not change the download links? Theres thousands on many many websites that link to certain downloads and pages which I would have no way to update.

Would be nice though due to hotlinking. I have very little hotlink protection going on, usually when I see a highly downloaded file I make it redirect to the page that has the download link, but its very time consuming and cant do that with every file lol.

• @nik said:
    If you have problems with the disks not being fast enough for the port speed you could use the nginx cache functionality or deliver the most used files from RAM in general.

I don't think that is a issue as my port speed is only 250mbps with jumps to 300mbps

HuntersPad said: Would I be able to implement it in a way that it does not change the download links? Theres thousands on many many websites that link to certain downloads and pages which I would have no way to update.

Would be nice though due to hotlinking. I have very little hotlink protection going on, usually when I see a highly downloaded file I make it redirect to the page that has the download link, but its very time consuming and cant do that with every file lol.

Most likely, yes. Probably through a URL rewrite but still. What do your URL's look like right now?

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited July 2017

www.website.eu/index.php?dir=Xda%2FLG+G3%2FStock%2FAT%26T+D850%2F

And then from there they choose the file which is pretty much a direct link. It really needs a overhall, its pretty much been the same for 3 years except server moves.

At this point I'd even be willing to spend a little money to be able to do something like that. And yet keep the links the same and be able to still simply upload the file via FTP and it be there ready for downloading.

I'd really like to provide direct links like .zip as an example if someone posts the direct link somewhere other than my site they will be taken to a download page etc, but that may involve redoing links.

edited July 2017

If you are looking to have it done by someone else, feel free to send me a PM. Would be happy to see what I can do for you.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad