Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No refund from host.. Advise please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No refund from host.. Advise please

itscanonitscanon Member
edited July 2017 in Help

Hello,

I agreed with a provider to cancel a yearly contract which I paid for in advance and get a full refund, Service was hardly few days old.
They cut-off the service instantly but haven't issued the refund which I thought would be instant too .. Been more than 48 hours so far .

Cut-off service, but hold people's money .. Not sure what to make of that .

They claim it is going to take 4-5 business days to issue the refund .. Knowing it is a paypal payment, why does it take 5 days to process ? .

Their support been very hostile, showing no respect to client's time and certainly no effort to resolve this like any reputable company would.

No service, Money held back , My business delayed

Does this raise any red flags about the host's financial situation ? .. What measures can be taken in such a case ?

Edit : Contract is a few hundred dollars worth of one year hosting for a dedicated server.

Thank you

Comments

• C'mon. Give them a break. A couple of days for a refund isn't that unusual.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • IshaqIshaq Member

They told you it will take up to 5 business days and it has only been 2, what's the problem here?

• Don't know exactly why it takes up to 5 days to process as a paypal payment but the company I work for is the same, just let the time pass and if not then escalate it.

Thanked by 1itscanon
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Definitely not uncommon. You should just wait the 4 or 5 days out. If the host has not issued a refund by then, then you might start at looking to take action.

Thanked by 1itscanon
  • @itscanon said:
    Hello,

Just out of interest, what's the damage? How many K do they owe you?

• And you decided to not wait the time they gave you and start threatening them and start a LET thread? I'll never understand how such decisions can be made with a functional brain.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSSWSS Member

@VPSlices said:
    And you decided to not wait the time they gave you and start threatening them and start a LET thread? I'll never understand how such decisions can be made with a functional brain.

It's uncanonny.

• OBHostOBHost Member, Host Rep

Run your service from another host and wait for the refund, Simple!

Thanked by 1itscanon
  • @Saragoldfarb said:

@itscanon said:
    Hello,

Sarcasm aside, It's the budget for one year of hosting for a dedicated server for an e-commerce website ..

@VPSlices said:
    And you decided to not wait the time they gave you and start threatening them and start a LET thread? I'll never understand how such decisions can be made with a functional brain.

Coming from a provider, this kind of attitude is the difference between a reputable company and a meh one .. I did not mention names, I did not threat in my post .

When A provider informs the client respectfully about such a delay then there wouldnt be a problem .. But to hold people's money, and throw a disrespectful attitude on top of it that's a different issue .

As a provider, Why would your "so functional brain" hold a refund for a client for no sound reason, a respectable provider that is who is trying to build a reputation.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2017

You should have opened this thread after at least waiting 5 days. Or, you know, try to work things out before burning the bridge.

The same applies to marriage. Burning the bridge is the last option, not the first although couples nowadays seem to burn the bridge first.

Thanked by 1FoxelVox
  • lurchlurch Member

Is it for a years shared hosting or years dedicated server? If they say it will take 4-5 days then wait for that to lapse first. So providers only count working days ie sat and sun excluded.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

Now if i was the provider i would make you wait 5 more days for opening a thread.

• edited July 2017

itscanon said: Knowing it is a paypal payment, why does it take 5 days to process

Check if you did anything wrong with their hardware/ip, like spamming and get their IP in some blacklist, or run harmful things which damaged the server...

It will take a few day to check (datacenter side), then support (company IT service) check again (for the IP) and then they will notify accountant (company accounting side) to check if your payment was valid, no chargeback, then they will issue a refund.

It's not like they're running 1 man business with the server at his basement so all things above can be resolved within 1 day...

Is that clear and acceptable?

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Now if i was the provider i would make you wait 5 more days for opening a thread.

With such an attitude I would happily escalate to a claim and wait for a month.

You haven't added anything helpful , I asked for suggestions or by the least an explanation Why would a provider hold on issuing a refund ? What sort of processing they need to do for 5 days ?

It's easy when it's not your money eh !? .. Ok to keep few hundred of dollars that belong to a client for no reason while at the same time not allow that client one second of service ?! .. That's hypocrite by the least .

No It is not OK to keep people's money without providing a service, specially with an arrogant attitude .

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

They could process your refund that same day. But depending on how you paid for the service it could take 3 to 7 business days for the merchant and your bank to put the funds back to your account.

If they sent a notice showing they have refunded then give it some time nothing else they can do once they process the refund.

Thanked by 1itscanon
  • ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

@itscanon

Easy answer, most people don't store their bank on their paypal account, some wait until enough funds got in and then refund with their paypal balance instead of adding it.

You haven't added anything helpful , I asked for suggestions or by the least an explanation Why would a provider hold on issuing a refund ? What sort of processing they need to do for 5 days ?

Thanked by 1itscanon
  • @khuongcomputer said:

itscanon said: Knowing it is a paypal payment, why does it take 5 days to process

Check if you did anything wrong with their hardware/ip, like spamming and get their IP in some blacklist, or run harmful things which damaged the server...

It will take a few day to check (datacenter side), then support (company IT service) check again (for the IP) and then they will notify accountant (company accounting side) to check if your payment was valid, no chargeback, then they will issue a refund.

It's not like they're running 1 man business with the server at his basement so all things above can be resolved within 1 day...

Is that clear and acceptable?

You make no sense whatsoever , check if my payment is valid ?!! .. Re Read the post

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Do they state they offer refunds on dedicated machines on yearly pre-payments in their TOS/website or was it a one-off deal with you?

I see. Sue the host.

• @CenTexHosting said:
    They could process your refund that same day. But depending on how you paid for the service it could take 3 to 7 business days for the merchant and your bank to put the funds back to your account.

If they sent a notice showing they have refunded then give it some time nothing else they can do once they process the refund.

Thank your for the advice, No notice yet .. They did not refund yet.

@ChristianDSH said:
    @itscanon

Easy answer, most people don't store their bank on their paypal account, some wait until enough funds got in and then refund with their paypal balance instead of adding it.

The first rational explanation I hear, Thank you . . Would certainly help if they have put it the same way you did but instead they made it feel like they are holding the money on purpose, shown by their hostile attitude .

• @AlexBarakov said:
    Do they state they offer refunds on dedicated machines on yearly pre-payments in their TOS/website or was it a one-off deal with you?

I don't know If they done it before or not .. They claim they did not . But they offered the refund if I wanted, and I accepted .. Agreement was made, they cut-off service, but no money yet , offensive hostile support.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

It could be that they dont have the fund available now, as @ChristianDSH said. But it could also be that not everyone who manages the support tickets have the authority to issue refunds.

We also normally take 4 - 5 days to refund when someone pays by Paypal. and that's normally because none of our support staff have access to the account. The refunds need to be done manually and it's faster and easier to do them in batch than 1 by 1.

Just wait 4 - 5 days, and then follow up on the 6th day if you havent got it yet.

Thanked by 1itscanon
  • @randvegeta said:
    It could be that they dont have the fund available now, as @ChristianDSH said. But it could also be that not everyone who manages the support tickets have the authority to issue refunds.

We also normally take 4 - 5 days to refund when someone pays by Paypal. and that's normally because none of our support staff have access to the account. The refunds need to be done manually and it's faster and easier to do them in batch than 1 by 1.

Just wait 4 - 5 days, and then follow up on the 6th day if you havent got it yet.

Thank you for the advice . However I am pretty sure they have enough funds in their paypal because they have an active offer going on as we speak .
    If their support was half as decent as Your reply, I would wait for 7 days even .

• @itscanon said:
    If their support was half as decent as Your reply, I would wait for 7 days even .

Make it so

Thanked by 2datako MasonR
  • @DatabaseByDesignLLC said:

@itscanon said:

Make it so

Make what exactly so ?

• @itscanon said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

@itscanon said:
    Hello,

Sarcasm aside, It's the budget for one year of hosting for a dedicated server for an e-commerce website ..

Yeah sorry about that. There's too many people going bonkers over $10 here these days. Anyway, on a serious note. It looks like you're making money with this business. Make sure you always have some money to spend so you can avoid these problems. Get a server elsewhere and wait for the refund while your website is up and running.

When I invoice people in general they have 14 days to pay. They hold the money for services rendered and this should never be an issue if you have a healthy cashflow.

Thanked by 2itscanon Falzo

@itscanon said:
    Make what exactly so ?

He is telling you to wait quietly without going PMS.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Trying to help you here, but, do you really need a Dedicated Server?
    What's the e-commerce website about? Is it Prestashop, Magento, what is it? Could you please give us some more details?

• sarahsarah Member

In most cases, this is not at the hands of the provider. It's the payment gateway that takes this long and holds your money hostage.

• @itscanon said:
    When A provider informs the client respectfully about such a delay then there wouldnt be a problem .. But to hold people's money, and throw a disrespectful attitude on top of it that's a different issue .

I don't buy the story, show us the ticket when they've been disrespectful?

As a provider, Why would your "so functional brain" hold a refund for a client for no sound reason, a respectable provider that is who is trying to build a reputation.

There's reasons why a provider could hold your payment, it's just you don't know why that doesn't mean there isn't any.

Thanked by 1Aidan
This discussion has been closed.