Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System On Grid 1 Year Free VPS = 1 CPU | 1 GB | 10 GB SSD | 1 TB BW - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

System On Grid 1 Year Free VPS = 1 CPU | 1 GB | 10 GB SSD | 1 TB BW

Comments

• @Edmond said:
    So there's still rules on how I can license stuff even after there's a licenses key to use. Microsoft's so picky...

For what it's worth- there are no desktop-grade OS legally available to run on a VPS. You'll need 2018/2012, et al..

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited November 2017

@WSS said:

@Edmond said:
    So there's still rules on how I can license stuff even after there's a licenses key to use. Microsoft's so picky...

For what it's worth- there are no desktop-grade OS legally available to run on a VPS. You'll need 2018/2012, et al..

Microsoft Imagine provides me with free Windows server licenses, so I'm not that worried about obtaining them, just if the host allows me to use them.

• @Edmond said:
    Microsoft Imagine provides me with free Windows server licenses, so I'm not that worried about obtaining them, just if the host allows me to use them.

DreamSpark, huh?

If there's PXE available- you can almost always load your own OS. Of course, that may be against the terms of use.

• @WSS said:

@Edmond said:

DreamSpark, huh?

If there's PXE available- you can almost always load your own OS. Of course, that may be against the terms of use.

Which is why I haven't tried to do so yet, probably isn't allow somewhere.

• sogtechsogtech Member
    edited November 2017

Everyone -- Just launched the RDNS feature. You can now verify your domain and create RDNs entries. By default for every orbit, the following rdns entry will be made:

hostname.static-ipv4.systemongrid.com.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • Still no IPv6, huh?

• @sogtech said:
    Everyone -- Just launched the RDNS feature. You can now verify your domain and create RDNs entries. By default for every orbit, the following rdns entry will be made:

This is just for domain. still can't set ptr for subdomain

• @needavps said:

@sogtech said:

You can set PTR for your own sub-domain as long as you can verify it.

• Signed up but got to the CC screen and bailed. "Free" with a catch, but UI looks awesome. May decide to sign up later if the CC requirement is waived.

• @WSS said:
    Still no IPv6, huh?

Patience my friend, it will be available soon.

• sogtechsogtech Member
    edited November 2017

@ju1ce said:
    Signed up but got to the CC screen and bailed. "Free" with a catch, but UI looks awesome. May decide to sign up later if the CC requirement is waived.

We take the CC to verify the authenticity of the user. Rest assured like a lot of folks here, you will not be charged if you avail the free tier.

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited November 2017

@sogtech said:

@needavps said:

@sogtech said:

seriously what are you talking about? it clearly cant' find subdomain if you input it. Did you try?

• @needavps said:

@sogtech said:

@needavps said:

@sogtech said:

seriously what are you talking about? it clearly cant' find subdomain if you input it. Did you try?

Even I am not following you. What I was saying was, let us say you put a domain:

xyz.abc.com, the backend will always try to verify abc.com and not xyz.abc.com. Are you saying you want an option to verify xyz.abc.com?

• @sogtech said:

@WSS said:
    Still no IPv6, huh?

Is that why you're filtering HE tunnels?

• @WSS said:

@sogtech said:

@WSS said:
    Still no IPv6, huh?

Not really, we are not actually filtering HE tunnels, and due to some reason the tunnel fails. Except for the ports that we are blocking (SMTP etc.), we actually do not block anything else. And we had few users saying the HE tunnel fails. Even, I am not sure what is the mystery. Can you please PM me the username, I will just put that user for explicit white list with all ports open and lets see if HE tunnels work.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@sogtech said:

@WSS said:

@sogtech said:

@WSS said:
    Still no IPv6, huh?

Not really, we are not actually filtering HE tunnels, and due to some reason the tunnel fails. Except for the ports that we are blocking (SMTP etc.), we actually do not block anything else. And we had few users saying the HE tunnel fails. Even, I am not sure what is the mystery. Can you please PM me the username, I will just put that user for explicit white list with all ports open and lets see if HE tunnels work.

What's strange is that it tanks if one uses their given IPv4, and also if one tries to use BOOTP as translated through the DHCP service, so it sure acts like it's being filtered.

• @WSS said:

@sogtech said:

@WSS said:

@sogtech said:

@WSS said:
    Still no IPv6, huh?

What's strange is that it tanks if one uses their given IPv4, and also if one tries to use BOOTP as translated through the DHCP service, so it sure acts like it's being filtered.

This might require a detailed packet capture analysis. You sure its not the MTU issue? Also the 6to4 tunnel, does it use any specific udp or tcp ports?

• @sogtech said:

@needavps said:

@sogtech said:

@needavps said:

@sogtech said:

Even I am not following you. What I was saying was, let us say you put a domain:

xyz.abc.com, the backend will always try to verify abc.com and not xyz.abc.com. Are you saying you want an option to verify xyz.abc.com?

... why are you making it sound like people would not want to verify subdomains? your competitors do not have this problem. why is it a unique situation for you to inquire about.

• @needavps said:

@sogtech said:

@needavps said:

@sogtech said:

@needavps said:

@sogtech said:

... why are you making it sound like people would not want to verify subdomains? your competitors do not have this problem. why is it a unique situation for you to inquire about.

Relax, I am trying to understand what you are saying. I see your point, let me talk to my team.

• @sogtech said:
    This might require a detailed packet capture analysis. You sure its not the MTU issue? Also the 6to4 tunnel, does it use any specific udp or tcp ports?

There shouldn't be any magical MTU issue between yourself and HE, unless you're doing more than filtering SMTP with your traffic. Other than ensuring the metric is lower to HE, it's essentially transparent with a GIF interface.

• I'm trying to create a rDNS record but it's failing to verify that the subdomain I'm using is pointing to the Orbit, which has for at least a month by now. It gave me this error:

Can't lookup DNS records. Domain doesn't exist.

The subdomain exists and I connect to the Orbit with the subdomain anyway so it's resolving the IP address for me.

• @Edmond said:
    I'm trying to create a rDNS record but it's failing to verify that the subdomain I'm using is pointing to the Orbit, which has for at least a month by now. It gave me this error:

Can't lookup DNS records. Domain doesn't exist.

The subdomain exists and I connect to the Orbit with the subdomain anyway so it's resolving the IP address for me.

Some issue with sub-domains, we are checking the code.

• @sogtech Have been evaluating SOG VPS on free tier for a a couple months. Everything points to a high quality/production ready service.

Haven't tested email yet which is a major factor for me with any provider. I don't send a lot of emails but when sent need them to go through reliably whether from my ecommerce software (registration, sale confirmation, shipping updates, etc) or from Thunderbird.

Just read where you say you are blocking SMTP port which assume means I wouldn't be able to send email anyway. Assume this is only for the free tier to prevent spammers taking advantage and wouldn't be blocked on paid tier? If you could elaborate on this and also any info on other blocked ports which might effect a basic ecommerce site would appreciate it.

• @JDMcPea said:
    @sogtech Have been evaluating SOG VPS on free tier for a a couple months. Everything points to a high quality/production ready service.

Haven't tested email yet which is a major factor for me with any provider. I don't send a lot of emails but when sent need them to go through reliably whether from my ecommerce software (registration, sale confirmation, shipping updates, etc) or from Thunderbird.

Just read where you say you are blocking SMTP port which assume means I wouldn't be able to send email anyway. Assume this is only for the free tier to prevent spammers taking advantage and wouldn't be blocked on paid tier? If you could elaborate on this and also any info on other blocked ports which might effect a basic ecommerce site would appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback. Now to answer your question, yes by default we block SMTP ports to prevent abuse by spammers. All paid users get all ports unblocked. As I said this is just a deterrence to the spammers as the spam and viruses might make our IP Range being put in a black list which of course nobody wants. Rest assured the only ports that we block by default are related SMTP, and they are unblocked for paid users.

• Well fuck me..

$ ping6 ipv6.google.com
    PING ipv6.l.google.com (2607:f8b0:4006:804::200e): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4006:804::200e: icmp_seq=0 hlim=58 time=3.151 ms
    64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4006:804::200e: icmp_seq=1 hlim=58 time=3.509 ms
    64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4006:804::200e: icmp_seq=2 hlim=58 time=3.251 ms
    64 bytes from 2607:f8b0:4006:804::200e: icmp_seq=3 hlim=58 time=3.419 ms

Either they're smart as hell, or they're watching you. Possibly both.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@truesouth said:
    I just saw this in an AdWords ad, and I thought I'd share it here:

https://systemongrid.com/start

So why doesn't this show up in your comments? Seems odd that initial posts don't show up there.

• Quick update, we fixed the quote to allow verification of sub-domains for RDNS. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

• Since this is a KVM, can you make it just a little easier to drop into gPXE? Some of us want to do a custom OS installation. Thanks.

• @WSS said:
    Since this is a KVM, can you make it just a little easier to drop into gPXE? Some of us want to do a custom OS installation. Thanks.

Seriously short of bandwidth (Work not network :P). But let me put on todo list. Also we are little worried that people might use Custom OS to do windows, putting us into trouble.

ISO should be fairly quick, we might have to burn some midnight oil to get gPXE going. Let me talk to my keyboard-jedis tomorrow.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

You should be able to enable access to the built-in gPXE by just changing the boot priority to show the gPXE ROM where the user can press Ctrl-B before directly loading from disk.

This would enable many of us to do our own installations, and keep it difficult for some to install Windows. As it is, they can already install a basic Windows installation slipstreamed with VirtIO drivers if they know what they are doing, anyhow- by blindly writing over the disk image from a root shell. Sadly, there's not much you can do about that.

It'd be harder for most not-very-technically-literate to do PXE installations of Windows than ISO/dd images.

You can also setup your system to nmap anyhost which has a custom installation once or twice, and if you see Windows- blam, blocked.

Thanked by 1sogtech