Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System On Grid 1 Year Free VPS = 1 CPU | 1 GB | 10 GB SSD | 1 TB BW - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

System On Grid 1 Year Free VPS = 1 CPU | 1 GB | 10 GB SSD | 1 TB BW

Comments

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited October 2017

Yes as @mmuyskens said:
    For the free tier users:

1. rDNS setup ability

2. OS templates for major distros like CentOS, Debian & Ubuntu should be regularly updated which will save a lot of time for new users and will save your bandwidth & system load too.

3. Hostname should take in FQDN and also the password field should take in special characters (I guess it doesn't take accept them right now)

4. Atleast one snapshot saving option should be available for Free tier users... or else we are missing to evaluate one big feature of cloud server platforms

• sogtechsogtech Member
    edited October 2017

Don't see an option for rDNS - maybe it's not possible, maybe i'm missing it, maybe i need to ticket it? I'll look into that later.

We are working on the rDNS automation so that you can directly do it from the dashboard. Right now its manual, you can raise a support ticket and we will get it done for you.

I deployed using the CentOS 7 template - on running yum updates it had almost 500 packages outdated. Not really a big deal, but thinking about the noob angle; that's a lot of possibly outdated VMs on the network depending on the experience of the users.

Thank you for the feedback and apologize for this inconvenience. We are having 2 strategies to help here:

• We will have our own repos in the local LAN of the Orbit
    • We are putting a process in place so that we update the OS images every month

We really appreciate your feedback.

Hostname field doesn't allow a FQDN; it doesn't allow special characters such as periods.

>

As we are planning to launch full service DNS, the hostname will be allowed as FQDN once you are able to verify the domain.

Also - Cogent.

>

I did not understand this.

I look forward to utilizing it still. I'm loving the GUI.

>

Thanks so much!

• @mehargags said:
    Yes as @mmuyskens said:
    For the free tier users:

1. rDNS setup ability

Working on it, we will be providing that with Authoritative Name server and option to register domain very soon. Have hands full, but we should get it out soon.

1. OS templates for major distros like CentOS, Debian & Ubuntu should be regularly updated which will save a lot of time for new users and will save your bandwidth & system load too.

Got it! We are setting up that process in motion.

1. Hostname should take in FQDN and also the password field should take in special characters (I guess it doesn't take accept them right now)

>

Point taken on the FQDN and Password. We will commit the changes tonight. It should start accepting from tomorrow.

1. Atleast one snapshot saving option should be available for Free tier users... or else we are missing to evaluate one big feature of cloud server platforms

>

The way snapshot works in our environment is that you can clone the volume. Instead of having a special snapshot, you can simply clone your volume. What do you think?

• Just launched Photons, check it out here

• Photons are SOG's implementation of 1-Click pre-installed apps. We have started with adding a few, but the plan is to make a huge repository of 100s of pre-installed/pre-configured orbits, ready to be deployed in seconds and get to go off the bat.

• As I said in my previous posts, we are also putting a process in place to update all the OS and Photon images every month so that users do not need to bear the burden of doing a huge package update. Thanks for all the support and the feedback.

• WSSWSS Member

Well, I'm intrigued. I expected you to be just a fly-by-night host, rather than an EaaS.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The interface feels extremely Digital Oceany/Vultry.

• @WSS said:
    Well, I'm intrigued. I expected you to be just a fly-by-night host, rather than an EaaS.

I am glad you are. Our roadmap already has the following:

1.) DBaaS
    2.) BaaS (Backend)
    3.) CaaS (Containers)
    4.) Object Storage
    5.) PaaS

All of them will be launched one by one in near future. On top of that we will be launching a lot more features that will make us comparable to Enterprise grade cloud providers. We are trying to get there with the current resources we have and hence will take a little bit of time.

• @raindog308 said:
    The interface feels extremely Digital Oceany/Vultry.

Is that bad? Right now we are trying to reach the feature set provided by those 2 and other similar providers. Once we reach that milestone, we will be launching a lot more features and our next milestone will be to reach the likes of Google, Azure and AWS. As we keep on adding features our entire dashboard and UI need to be redone. We will do it as we approach the limitations of the current UI. Our aim was to provide a simple and uncluttered interface and I believe this achieves it.

• Quick update everyone, we just released:

1.) Debian 7 32bit
    2.) Gentoo 2.3 64bit
    3.) Free BSD 10.3 64bit and 11.1 64bit

• Debian 7 64bit coming?

• @sogtech considered Windows? Of course, either sell Windows licenses or require VPS to be licensed by the end user.

• @sogtech No OpenBSD 6.2 or NetBSD 7.1?

• @tenpera said:
    Debian 7 64bit coming?

Yes in 2 weeks.

Thanked by 1tenpera
  • @Edmond said:
    @sogtech considered Windows? Of course, either sell Windows licenses or require VPS to be licensed by the end user.

Microsoft has a tricky way to do licensing for cloud hosting. We have to dedicate a stack just for windows and we are looking towards it. Also, we have noticed that providers are offering Windows Server with 1 GB RAM and 2 GB RAM. We are confused about the performance. So maybe you guys can advise. We were planning to provide Windows server only with 2 options: 4 vCPU 4 GB RAM | 8 vcPU 8 GB RAM. We really do not think anything less than that will give any kind of optimal performance for Windows. Also, as per Microsoft licensing it seems we should only provide Monthly plans. So please advise and any suggestion will be greatly valued.

• @WSS said:
    @sogtech No OpenBSD 6.2 or NetBSD 7.1?

Initially we did not plan for it, but we are seeing quite a response. We will put it in our todo list. We have to do some testing. So I can say a maximum of a month, we should be able to offer these 2 flavors.

• @sogtech said:

@Edmond said:
    @sogtech considered Windows? Of course, either sell Windows licenses or require VPS to be licensed by the end user.

Microsoft has a tricky way to do licensing for cloud hosting. We have to dedicate a stack just for windows and we are looking towards it. Also, we have noticed that providers are offering Windows Server with 1 GB RAM and 2 GB RAM. We are confused about the performance. So maybe you guys can advise. We were planning to provide Windows server only with 2 options: 4 vCPU 4 GB RAM | 8 vcPU 8 GB RAM. We really do not think anything less than that will give any kind of optimal performance for Windows. Also, as per Microsoft licensing it seems we should only provide Monthly plans. So please advise and any suggestion will be greatly valued.

You don't have to be the one who licenses it. You can made the end user provide the license themselves. I wanted to see how it would work, but there wasn't a ISO for me to mount. Maybe set up something to allow users to mount custom ISOs?

• sogtechsogtech Member
    edited November 2017

@Edmond said:

@sogtech said:

@Edmond said:

You don't have to be the one who licenses it. You can made the end user provide the license themselves. I wanted to see how it would work, but there wasn't a ISO for me to mount. Maybe set up something to allow users to mount custom ISOs?

Microsoft only allows users to bring their own license for Dedicated Servers not for the VPS. Atleast that is what has been told to us by Microsoft partner. For VPS, Microsoft licenses based on the host server and not based on the VPS and that license has to be brought by the provider.

Mounting custom ISOs is a feature for the future. It will need the Object Storage which we are already working on.

• Well this looks great, planning to move to multiple locations/countrys in the future?

• @FoxelVox said:
    Well this looks great, planning to move to multiple locations/countrys in the future?

Yes, we launched on July 1st 2017 and its been 4 months and we have been working hard to provide more features to our users. We will be launching California location tentatively on Jan 1st 2018. Then we will plan to launch locations in Europe and Asia. The plan is to launch as many features as possible along with adding new locations. Hands are full right now, but we are trying our best.

• I signed up yesterday without a problem and like it so far. Was planning to buy a small vps in europe but it seems like I do not need to temporarily.

I am interested in asia/australia more than usa/europe.

Keep up the good work. I hope it remains stable during the holiday season.

• sogtechsogtech Member
    edited November 2017

@needavps said:
    I signed up yesterday without a problem and like it so far. Was planning to buy a small vps in europe but it seems like I do not need to temporarily.

I am interested in asia/australia more than usa/europe.

Keep up the good work. I hope it remains stable during the holiday season.

Thanks for the kind words. We are doing our best and I am pretty confident it will be stable. We did burn test by launching 5000 orbits at the same time, though it took a while but we did not see any errors and all of them got created. Also, we are prioritizing our features, and RDNS is at the top of the list. It will be out this Thursday. Also adding 2 more great options:

1.) cPanel (Photon)

2.) Debian 7 64 bit.

Trust me, we really want to launch more locations in Europe and Asia. Having resource constraint as we are just 4 months old. We will be true to our philosophy of providing all the software features and API at NO PREMIUM. That stuff will always be free to the users. We will just charge for the hardware and infrastructure. I hope as more users sign up we will get into more locations.

• Guys, please do let us know if you have any wish list for Photons.

• Debian 7 64 bit is now available.

Thanked by 1tenpera
  • @sogtech why can't clients license their own Windows copies inside the vm? Like if I had a license and used it, Microsoft isn't going to care right?

• @Edmond said:
    @sogtech why can't clients license their own Windows copies inside the vm? Like if I had a license and used it, Microsoft isn't going to care right?

They probably don't want to get sued because of shitty clients.

• How many of you sent in photographs/id to unblock mail ports? I am surprised to find they are blocking so many ports; do none of you send mail on their service?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Edmond said: @sogtech why can't clients license their own Windows copies inside the vm? Like if I had a license and used it, Microsoft isn't going to care right?

Microsoft is going to care.

Like it or not, they make the rules on how you can license their software.

• @raindog308 said:

Edmond said: @sogtech why can't clients license their own Windows copies inside the vm? Like if I had a license and used it, Microsoft isn't going to care right?

Microsoft is going to care.

Like it or not, they make the rules on how you can license their software.

So there's still rules on how I can license stuff even after there's a licenses key to use. Microsoft's so picky...