Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System On Grid 1 Year Free VPS = 1 CPU | 1 GB | 10 GB SSD | 1 TB BW - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

System On Grid 1 Year Free VPS = 1 CPU | 1 GB | 10 GB SSD | 1 TB BW

Comments

• Using System on Grid "free tier Orbit" VPS for about a month now and figured would post impressions here since they were nice enough to offer a free VPS for a year.

Am new to VPS and only recently purchased first VPS from another LET provider's offer. Have been looking into moving a "large but low volume" ecommerce website from shared hosting to VPS to hopefully increase reliability, page load times, and be immune if other customers on the shared hosting use too much bandwidth or get IP address blacklisted- previously had issues on shared hosting with emails getting blocked. Figured also having System On Grid VPS would be a good way to compare budget VPS services.

Signed up, was assigned an IPv4 address, installed Ubuntu 16, ran updates, installed Webmin/Virtualmin. Shows:

Kernel and CPU Linux 4.4.0-93-generic on x86_64
    Processor information QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.5.3, 1 cores
    System uptime 8 days, 18 hours, 08 minutes
    CPU load averages 0.00 (1 min) 0.06 (5 mins) 0.05 (15 mins)
    Real memory 969.05 MB total / 431.45 MB used
    Virtual memory 1000 MB total / 561.83 MB used
    Local disk space 9.63 GB total / 4.67 GB free / 4.96 GB used

Installed a test Word Press website. Site seems to load very quickly even though image heavy. Reliability is very good over last few weeks. Installed a test version of ecommerce site. Home page always loads reliably relatively quickly- usually a couple seconds for the first page load then when I click on any link less than a second page load. This seems very good because the test ecommerce site on my paid VPS can sometimes take a long time for the first page to load, sometimes up to 30 seconds. Think it's a network issue because other times loads very quickly. That service OpenVZ, is very inexpensive, and has gotten very mixed reviews on LEB. My live site on shared hosting usually loads first page in a 3-6 seconds, every once in a while long delays.

SOG's VPS seems to always be using 50-70% of real memory even if nothing is installed except Ubuntu/Webmin. There initially was no Virtual Memory so created a 1GB swap file and that seemed to reduce real memory load.

Pros:
    Free!
    Seems very speedy even though CPU and storage speed are supposed to be throttled on the free tier
    Nice website/account user interface

Cons:
    Twice now have found Apache to have turned itself off, not sure why. Restarted and working fine. Don't know if it's a VPS issue or something else

When I sign into account on SOG website now it won't let me access My Orbits, Dashboard, My Volumes. Keeps asking for CC info although this was waived, previously could access these sections. Not really a big deal but unexpected.

Don't know what it means but found this in logs:
    Sep 9 23:56:09 MY_SERVER sshd[14326]: Accepted password for MY_USERNAME from 10.0.8.xxx port 42346 ssh2
    Sep 9 23:56:09 MY_SERVER systemd-logind[1010]: New session 64 of user MY_USERNAME.
    Am new to VPS systems but seems wrong that someone else could login using my username and password. The IP address traces to private address so no info available. I've got Fail2Ban installed and firewall up so seems unlikely to be hack but ??

I'd definitely consider moving my site to this service. Lowest paid tied looks to be $5.50 a month, honestly looking for something even a bit more low end. Currently paying $1.50 month for 4 VCPU/2GB OVZ VPS although not convinced it's production ready.

Anyway thanks to @sogtech / System on Grid for offering this. Good luck with your business.

• @JDMcPea said:
    When I sign into account on SOG website now it won't let me access My Orbits, Dashboard, My Volumes. Keeps asking for CC info although this was waived, previously could access these sections.

>

True. I also experience the same.
    That means we cannot reinstall or power it on if it goes down for some reason.
    @sogtech is that intentional?

• @sogtech Your site ask me to add CC but it does not accept any of my cards

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @JDMcPea said:

I'd definitely consider moving my site to this service. Lowest paid tied looks to be $5.50 a month, honestly looking for something even a bit more low end.

They do seem to be aiming for the above low end tier like Digital Ocean, Vultr, etc...

1 CPU - 1 GB Memory - 20 GB SSD - 1 TB Transfer - $ 5.50/mo - SystemOnGrid

1 CPU - 1 GB Memory - 30 GB SSD - 2 TB Transfer - $ 10.00/mo - Digital Ocean

1 CPU - 1 GB Memory - 25 GB SSD - 1 TB Transfer - $ 5.00/mo - Vultr

2 CPU - 1 GB Memory - 20 GB SSD - 2 TB Transfer - $ 5.00/mo - Ramnode

• Guys, we truly apologize the inconvenience we are doing some updates to fix issues related to Credit Fraud. All of you should be able to access your dashboard in next 24 hours. This issue is only effecting those guys who registered for free without a CC and using the link I provided. Everything else is fine. If your CC is not being accepted that simply means our Credit Card processor is rejecting the transaction. We have had some issues with the CC Payment gateway and were busy transitioning. We had lot of fraudulent users trying to register with fraudulent CC and we tired putting in some additional checks. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• @JDMcPea said:

Cons:
    Twice now have found Apache to have turned itself off, not sure why. Restarted and working fine. Don't know if it's a VPS issue or something else

I can definitely confirm that is not us.

When I sign into account on SOG website now it won't let me access My Orbits, Dashboard, My Volumes. Keeps asking for CC info although this was waived, previously could access these sections. Not really a big deal but unexpected.

>

As I posted on the forum, we are doing some udpates, this will be fixed within next 24 hours. We deeply apologize for the is inconvenience.

Don't know what it means but found this in logs:
    Sep 9 23:56:09 MY_SERVER sshd[14326]: Accepted password for MY_USERNAME from 10.0.8.xxx port 42346 ssh2
    Sep 9 23:56:09 MY_SERVER systemd-logind[1010]: New session 64 of user MY_USERNAME.

Am new to VPS systems but seems wrong that someone else could login using my username and password. The IP address traces to private address so no info available. I've got Fail2Ban installed and firewall up so seems unlikely to be hack but ??

This is our Web based Shell or SSH client. You might have used it to access the cli of yoru server. WE DO NOT HAVE YOUR PASSWORD. Remember when you click on the shell option, it asks for your username and password. We do not store that information anywhere on our system for security reasons. So the login was successful because you logged in via the Shell. Please note our shell option is browser based SSH whereas the Console is the true console. You will see that log if you use the Shell Option.

I'd definitely consider moving my site to this service. Lowest paid tied looks to be $5.50 a month, honestly looking for something even a bit more low end. Currently paying $1.50 month for 4 VCPU/2GB OVZ VPS although not convinced it's production ready.

Anyway thanks to @sogtech / System on Grid for offering this. Good luck with your business.

Thank you so much!

• @Rami said:
    @sogtech Your site ask me to add CC but it does not accept any of my cards

Rami can you PM me your username? I will check what is happening in the background and reply to you via the PM.

• @sogtech said:

@Rami said:
    @sogtech Your site ask me to add CC but it does not accept any of my cards

Rami can you PM me your username? I will check what is happening in the background and reply to you via the PM.

Done

• @Rami Thanks for your PM and I am happy I was able to answer your question. I hope that settles the issue.

Thanked by 1Rami
  • @sogtech Is there still a possibility to sign up for a free tier without giving away CC details ?

• @gurugrv said:
    @sogtech Is there still a possibility to sign up for a free tier without giving away CC details ?

I asked the same question and the answer I received was no.

• Guys, all of you who were having issue accessing Dashboard, its fixed now.

• @gurugrv said:
    @sogtech Is there still a possibility to sign up for a free tier without giving away CC details ?

Unfortunately we have paused this for some time as we had quiet a few registrations. We might provide that option again, but I cannot guarantee.

• sogtechsogtech Member
    edited September 2017

@nyvpsuser said:

@JDMcPea said:

I'd definitely consider moving my site to this service. Lowest paid tied looks to be $5.50 a month, honestly looking for something even a bit more low end.

They do seem to be aiming for the above low end tier like Digital Ocean, Vultr, etc...

1 CPU - 1 GB Memory - 20 GB SSD - 1 TB Transfer - $ 5.50/mo - SystemOnGrid

1 CPU - 1 GB Memory - 30 GB SSD - 2 TB Transfer - $ 10.00/mo - Digital Ocean

1 CPU - 1 GB Memory - 25 GB SSD - 1 TB Transfer - $ 5.00/mo - Vultr

2 CPU - 1 GB Memory - 20 GB SSD - 2 TB Transfer - $ 5.00/mo - Ramnode

Man, just a small correction. Ours is 20 GB SSD Block Storage for native root partition. Because it is a native block storage, the Orbit and the Hard Drive can be treated as 2 separate independent components giving you a lot more flexibility. Also, out of all of them, we are the only one's who do not charge if you pause*. No need to take snapshot then delete etc. And guess what, we do not charge anything extra for providing the block storage compared to all the competition.

The Block storage is completely SSD based and has 3x replication for the rainy days.

*Storage charges will still apply which is just $1.00/20 GB/Month as we still maintain your Drives and Partitions, even though the Orbit is paused.

• @sogtech said:

Man, just a small correction. Ours is 20 GB SSD Block Storage for native root partition. Because it is a native block storage, the Orbit and the Hard Drive can be treated as 2 separate independent components giving you a lot more flexibility.

Can you give some examples of how that "flexibility" can be used?

The Block storage is completely SSD based and has 3x replication for the rainy days.

So on the basic $5.50 20 GB drive plan the root partition drive is replicated 3x for redundancy?

*Storage charges will still apply which is just $1.00/20 GB/Month as we still maintain your Drives and Partitions, even though the Orbit is paused.

So if I have a $ 5.50 20 GB drive plan and I leave it paused for the entire month I am only charged $ 1.00 for the month ?

• @sogtech Debian 7 OS would've been great, any ETA?

• @tenpera said:
    @sogtech Debian 7 OS would've been great, any ETA?

Ten my man, we should be out with it and few more 32bit versions before this month end. All users will get an email notification.

Thanked by 1tenpera
  • @nyvpsuser said:

@sogtech said:

Man, just a small correction. Ours is 20 GB SSD Block Storage for native root partition. Because it is a native block storage, the Orbit and the Hard Drive can be treated as 2 separate independent components giving you a lot more flexibility.

Can you give some examples of how that "flexibility" can be used?

There are a few used cases I can think on top of my mind:

1.) You can delete the Orbit and keep the volume like a long term data archive. But its just not the file that you are archiving, it pretty much the block level environment including partition table.

2.) You can keep the volume as a template, clone to create more volumes. As we will be releasing an API in very near feature, you can automate this and scale up and scale down on the fly.

3.) No need to take backups or snapshots. You can simply clone volumes for backup.

4.) If you wish to change the hardware specs of the orbit, simply delete the orbit only, keep the volume, and just create a new orbit while attaching the same volume. This is better than rebuild as the ssh key fingerprint does not change. It won't work if you are planning to change the OS.

5.) The Block volume eliminates completely the need for separate snapshots feature as the volume itself can be cloned on daily basis to create a daily backup archive.

Users can get more creative as they want.

So on the basic $5.50 20 GB drive plan the root partition drive is replicated 3x for redundancy?

Yes

So if I have a $ 5.50 20 GB drive plan and I leave it paused for the entire month I am only charged $ 1.00 for the month ?

Yes, you can keep it paused for an entire year or more, there is no time limit as long as you are paying for the storage cost.

Hope this helps!

• I signed up to take a look but cannot seem to find a place to add a credit card, the only thing I can see is to deposit money via PayPal. I submitted a help desk ticket but have not received a response yet.

Hmm.

• sogtechsogtech Member
    edited September 2017

@daxterfellowes said:
    I signed up to take a look but cannot seem to find a place to add a credit card, the only thing I can see is to deposit money via PayPal. I submitted a help desk ticket but have not received a response yet.

Hmm.

Did you do it today? Typically we respond within 24 hours for the Technical Support Request. I will ask the concerned team to look for your ticket and reply on priority. In the meantime can you please PM me your username.

• edited September 2017

@sogtech Yesterday, almost exactly 24 hours from this post time (GS0919201752654).

• @daxterfellowes said:
    @sogtech Yesterday, almost exactly 24 hours from this post time (GS0919201752654).

GS0919201752654 >> Is that your username?

• @sogtech said:

@daxterfellowes said:

That was the ticket reference. But it appears that your team has responded back on it now. Thanks.

• @daxterfellowes said:

@sogtech said:

@daxterfellowes said:

That was the ticket reference. But it appears that your team has responded back on it now. Thanks.

Oh yeah, no wonder it looked familiar :) I am positive the reply should answer your query completely. Do not hesitate to reach me for any further assistance. Enjoy!

• Yes now paypal is integrated now. So you can register just with papal. But using paypal you cannot get a free orbit as we cannot verify your location.

• sogtechsogtech Member
    edited October 2017

Hello guys we did some changes and have leveled up the performance. Its still not SOG 2.0 but an intermediate step. Check out the benchmarks.

• sogtechsogtech Member
    edited October 2017

Free Tier Orbit

========================================================================
       BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 5.1.3)

System: brnchmarl: GNU/Linux
       OS: GNU/Linux -- 4.4.0-57-generic -- #78-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 9 23:50:32 UTC 2016
       Machine: x86_64 (x86_64)
       Language: en_US.utf8 (charmap="UTF-8", collate="UTF-8")
       CPU 0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz (5000.0 bogomips)
              x86-64, MMX, Physical Address Ext, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT, SYSCALL/SYSRET, Intel virtualization
       19:03:22 up 1 day, 21:51,  1 user,  load average: 0.34, 0.13, 0.04; runlevel 2017-10-11

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Benchmark Run: Fri Oct 13 2017 19:03:22 - 19:31:33
    1 CPU in system; running 1 parallel copy of tests

Dhrystone 2 using register variables       31122234.0 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Double-Precision Whetstone                     3464.7 MWIPS (9.9 s, 7 samples)
    Execl Throughput                               5893.9 lps   (29.9 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks       1351144.0 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks          365130.7 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks       2841310.5 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Pipe Throughput                             2577244.2 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Pipe-based Context Switching                 396566.6 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Process Creation                              17607.8 lps   (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                  10321.2 lpm   (60.0 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                   1340.8 lpm   (60.0 s, 2 samples)
    System Call Overhead                        4009108.4 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)

System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
    Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0   31122234.0   2666.9
    Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0       3464.7    630.0
    Execl Throughput                                 43.0       5893.9   1370.7
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0    1351144.0   3412.0
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0     365130.7   2206.2
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0    2841310.5   4898.8
    Pipe Throughput                               12440.0    2577244.2   2071.7
    Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0     396566.6    991.4
    Process Creation                                126.0      17607.8   1397.4
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4      10321.2   2434.2
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0       1340.8   2234.6
    System Call Overhead                          15000.0    4009108.4   2672.7
                                                                       ========
    System Benchmarks Index Score                                        1976.0

• Paid Tier Orbit ( 1 VCPU 1 GB RAM)

========================================================================
       BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 5.1.3)

System: benchmark: GNU/Linux
       OS: GNU/Linux -- 4.4.0-57-generic -- #78-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 9 23:46:51 UTC 2016
       Machine: i686 (i686)
       Language: en_US.utf8 (charmap="UTF-8", collate="UTF-8")
       CPU 0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz (5000.0 bogomips)
              x86-64, MMX, Physical Address Ext, SYSENTER/SYSEXIT, SYSCALL/SYSRET, Intel virtualization
       19:06:47 up 2 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.55, 0.20, 0.07; runlevel 2017-10-13

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Benchmark Run: Fri Oct 13 2017 19:06:47 - 19:34:59
    1 CPU in system; running 1 parallel copy of tests

Dhrystone 2 using register variables       29688832.2 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Double-Precision Whetstone                     3523.1 MWIPS (9.9 s, 7 samples)
    Execl Throughput                               6601.0 lps   (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks       1091554.2 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks          306281.7 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks       3490137.4 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Pipe Throughput                             1809524.5 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Pipe-based Context Switching                 323419.3 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Process Creation                              19271.8 lps   (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                  10603.5 lpm   (60.0 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                   1384.6 lpm   (60.0 s, 2 samples)
    System Call Overhead                        2598956.3 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)

System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
    Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0   29688832.2   2544.0
    Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0       3523.1    640.6
    Execl Throughput                                 43.0       6601.0   1535.1
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0    1091554.2   2756.4
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0     306281.7   1850.6
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0    3490137.4   6017.5
    Pipe Throughput                               12440.0    1809524.5   1454.6
    Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0     323419.3    808.5
    Process Creation                                126.0      19271.8   1529.5
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4      10603.5   2500.8
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0       1384.6   2307.6
    System Call Overhead                          15000.0    2598956.3   1732.6
                                                                       ========
    System Benchmarks Index Score                                        1826.8

• Love the speed :)

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

Seems pretty solid on first look, few comments/feedback -

Don't see an option for rDNS - maybe it's not possible, maybe i'm missing it, maybe i need to ticket it? I'll look into that later.

I deployed using the CentOS 7 template - on running yum updates it had almost 500 packages outdated. Not really a big deal, but thinking about the noob angle; that's a lot of possibly outdated VMs on the network depending on the experience of the users.

Hostname field doesn't allow a FQDN; it doesn't allow special characters such as periods.

Also - Cogent.

I look forward to utilizing it still. I'm loving the GUI.