Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone have a tutorial on setting up a KVM host?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone have a tutorial on setting up a KVM host?

jbarrjbarr Member

I'd like to make use of an unused PC lying around, and I thought that instead of renting a cloud server, I'd try to set up a Linux KVM host to play around with. This will not host anything other than some personal test sandbox VMs.

Obviously Googling this is an option, but I'm looking for experienced users here who may have better suggestions.

Thanks!!

Jim

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Use proxmox and save your sleep.

Francisco

• IshaqIshaq Member

@Francisco said:
    Use proxmox and save your sleep.

Francisco

This ^

• Proxmox

• WSSWSS Member

Learning to use virt-install and all support tools means you won't be here screaming and begging for help when you upgrade ProxMox and it eats itself.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited July 2017

If you decide to go with ProxMox, I prefer to install Debian and then add ProxMox to it, since that will make it easier to follow the Debian distributions' defaults, and you'll get more of a top-down of what installing ProxMox is actually involved.

I just install/create my own KVMs because I like making things harder than they need to be. A rather popular front-end tool is 'virt-manager', which is X11 based. I've never really had luck with that since it still keeps you from the underlying system to some degree.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

may even try virtualizor, and/or its tutorial

• XenosXenos Member

I'm curious about some alternatives to Proxmox. I tried both v4 and v5. Both resolve extremely slowly or not at all.

• postcdpostcd Member

i am not experienced user, but also think Proxmox is good way, another way would be http://www.virtualizor.com/wiki/Install_KVM (you will pay $1 monthly for one VPS. $9 = unlimited VPS)

• PwnerPwner Member

If you're looking to run some quick and simple virtual machines for personal sandbox purposes, then just use something like Virtualbox. If you're looking for something more complicated but also more powerful (e.g. what hosting providers use), then look into Proxmox or Virtualizor.