Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitoring download/upload speeds and graphing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Monitoring download/upload speeds and graphing

imperioimperio Member
edited July 2013 in Help

Hello,

I want to monitor download and or upload speeds continuously and graph them for multiple vps.Cacti can graph custom script output results however i am looking for outsourced alternatives for easy implementation like online web sites that can graph the results of the output of your scripts etc.

What i want to achieve.

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

Wouldn't that unnecessarily stress your network and otherwise use up a monthly transfer allocation with little real-world benefit?

• imperioimperio Member
    edited July 2013

100mb * 24 * 30 ~= 72gb per month. You can cut to every 3 or 6 hours to reduce bw though.

• @imperio said:
    100mb * 24 * 30 ~= 72gb per month. You can cut to every 3 or 6 hours to reduce bw though

and what is the advantage by doing that?

• Benchmarking.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited July 2013

I think i am looking for scaleextreme's custom monitoring solutions and similar.

• prae5prae5 Member

If you wait a week or two I can give you some scripts for this.

I'm working on a project to do something similar - serverbear is great, but it only provides a single snapshot of how the node preformed and didn't provide the network details I was looking for. Especially network performance to different geographical regions.

I have put together a couple of scripts that run speediest.net and wget's to a list of fixed servers. It runs these once an hour and records the up/down speeds to mysql. Just need to put some frontend stuff together to display / graph the results.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited July 2013

@prae5 I'm definitely interested in your project.