Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New VPS and ... bat aloc
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New VPS and ... bat aloc

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited July 2013 in General

Hi,

i ordered a 32MB VPS and tried to run apt-get upgrade but i got:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc
Aborted

So RAM at Host is full overselling?

Comments

• You have 32 mb vps and your vps ran out of memory. What does that have to do with host overselling?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Fresh Minimal Template and tried to run apt-get upgrade?
    Lol

• FFFlipFFFlip Member
    edited July 2013

I would say 32MB is not enough with a standard configuration, you'll have to tweak apt's config.

Try editing /etc/apt/apt.conf with:

APT::Cache-Limit "20000000";

Limit is in bytes so have a fiddle.

I have 2 of them, so the first running without any kind of problem.
    I ordered today the second and what happend? Could not allocated memory fresh and same install.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Sure it can, things can randomly take more memory. Have you tried editing cache limit?

Dosent helps:

root@vserv15:~# apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    apache2 apache2-doc apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common base-files bind9 bind9-host bind9utils debian-archive-keyring
    dhcp3-client dhcp3-common dpkg dselect expat gnupg gpgv gzip isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common ldap-utils libbind9-60 libc-bin libc6 libcups2 libdbus-1-3
    libdns69 libexpat1 libgssapi-krb5-2 libisc62 libisccc60 libisccfg62 libk5crypto3 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 libldap-2.4-2 liblwres60 libperl5.10
    libssl0.9.8 libwbclient0 libxml2 locales openssh-client openssh-server openssl perl perl-base perl-modules samba samba-common sudo tzdata
    53 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    FATAL -> Failed to fork.

• I am able to do a apt-get update / upgrade on a 32MB RAM + 32 MB vswap VPS without any issues. I am using debian 6 minimal x86 template. probably your provider kills process every time you reach your allocation, which you will hit easily with a plan like this..

Everything what i do with my second of the 32MB failed.... reinstall/reboot nothing helps. So Support says: solve it by you own...

• DamianDamian Member

What other processes are running? Post the output of ps aux.

• DamianDamian Member

saslauth, xinetd, and cron are unnecessary to effect an apt upgrade. Remove or turn them off, and then try again.

Also, inform your provider that SASL and xinetd are not mandatory, one being for mostly mail auth, and the other being obsolete.

btw: impossible

aptitude remove apache2.2-bin

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
    what(): std::bad_alloc
    Aborted

i cant don anything its realy pissing me off, only the UK Node function...

• dnomdnom Member

try logging in to console and kill saslauth, xinetd, cron and sshd. That should free up a good amount of RAM.

I repeat again: I have 2 of them, the first works like a charm but not the second.
    Same configuration.... read what i say thanks

• @Infinity580 said:
    I repeat again: I have 2 of them, the first works like a charm but not the second.
    Same configuration.... read what i say thanks

Don't act like a dick and people will be more apt to help you.

Have you tried killing off those services or not? And have you edited the cache setting or not?

Yeah sure but it dosent helps.... killing give me some MB more free memory but still the Same problem. Also yes but it dosent helps, running with 11MB Usage and 32Max apt-get upgrade works under other vps's but not there.

• dnomdnom Member

What I see here is that you are just trying to convince us that your host is overselling to an extent that would trigger the OOM killer than making apt-get work. If you truly believe this to be the case(which I'd never believe unless there's proof.) switch to another provider.

• Ask your provider to terminate your VPS and re-create a new one, on a new node, maybe?

They are not on the same node, the problem, they have no SWAP both have 32MB without SWAP. I already get no ticket respons anymore so it looks like that i should call paypal.

• @Infinity580 said:
    it looks like that i should call paypal.

Why? Because you received 32MB as advertised?

Yeah the first works without any problem i could install everything like on each vps, the second i could do nothing.... so it dosent works and dotvps dosent respond.

• Filing a charge-back/dispute is not a fair form of refund, and will result in immediate termination of all related client services and content. Clients who file or open a dispute are subject to an administration fee of no less then $75, and not exceeding $150, if a client cancels a chargeback, the administration fee will be revoked.

https://dotvps.co/terms-of-service.php#chargeback

What should i do then?

• wychwych Member

@DalComp said:
    Why? Because you received 32MB as advertised?

Here here.

Thank you, but your only one of 15 Hosts where i have a problem that my vps not function so its not on me.

• rds100rds100 Member

You found 15 different hosts offering 32MB VPS? Where?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • FFFlipFFFlip Member

@wych said:
    Here here.

Hear hear…

• @Infinity580 said:
    i should call paypal.

• DamianDamian Member

@rds100 said:
    You found 15 different hosts offering 32MB VPS? Where?

I can only think of 3... and one of them doesn't offer them anymore.