Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

do you know how to add glue records?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

do you know how to add glue records?

BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
edited July 2017 in Help

Hi,

I am developing this reseller panel for whm. I need help with ui.

How many people here can understand what to do on this page (without opening a ticket or googling).

Please also share: How can you understand it (if cant).

Do you understand.
  1. Do you understand what to do from this page?49 votes
    1. Yes, I know what to do
      67.35%
    2. No it's confusing
      26.53%
    3. I don't know what is nameserver, hostname and glue records.
        6.12%

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Add a link where you explain it in details with steps for different registrars.

• @Radi said:
    Add a link where you explain it in details with steps for different registrars.

Thank you for idea :)

I will think about automatically detecting domain name registrar and providing link for help if most people don't get it...

Thanked by 1Radi
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

No need to do the detection thing really. Just allow the user to select their own registrar and it would display the instructions. Above the dropdown state. Registrar = The website where you bought your domain from. Include an "Other" in the dropdown and have a link that they can contact you for help(some people might be using resellers other than registrars, you can't get all of them).

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost
  • @Radi said:
    No need to do the detection thing really. Just allow the user to select their own registrar and it would display the instructions. Above the dropdown state. Registrar = The website where you bought your domain from. Include an "Other" in the dropdown and have a link that they can contact you for help(some people might be using resellers other than registrars, you can't get all of them).

Yeah, OK!

• WSSWSS Member

I'd also suggest that you just tell them to use your nameservers directly, and not give them the option of naming their own.

Normies don't understand how this works, and giving them control over their own domain to the point of adding glue records to the registrar is a bad idea. Your target audience isn't us. They have no fucking clue, and don't care.

Let whoever runs the panel setup the IPs and DNS records for their DNS, and just give them that. Anything else will lead to tears.

Thanked by 2BecomeWebHost neps
  • bsdguybsdguy Member

word nameserver-glue.docx

Thanked by 1WSS
  • edfoxedfox Member

@pixahex said:
    I will think about automatically detecting domain name registrar and providing link for help if most people don't get it...

If you're really dedicated you could also add integration with the APIs of each registrar to do it automatically. IIRC Cloudflare does that by letting you login through their panel (or was it something else?)

• buy in home depot, super glue and then add it to server.

done.

Thanked by 2Aidan BecomeWebHost
  • WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:

word95 nameserver-glue.doc

• bsdguybsdguy Member

@WSS said:

@bsdguy said:

word95 nameserver-glue.doc

No! That's insecure!

Btw. why does ms word still not offer a "save as flash file" option?

• WSSWSS Member

You need to use file->saveas->meme

• WSS said: They have no fucking clue, and don't care.

They have no fucking glue then...

• WSS said: I'd also suggest that you just tell them to use your nameservers directly, and not give them the option of naming their own.

No, everyone will get their own nameservers.

WSS said: Normies don't understand how this works, and giving them control over their own domain to the point of adding glue records to the registrar is a bad idea. Your target audience isn't us. They have no fucking clue, and don't care.

I see, ~35% don't get this.... I will be adding some help interface. and step 4 will not open until they do step 3 correctly.

• @edfox said:

@pixahex said:

If you're really dedicated you could also add integration with the APIs of each registrar to do it automatically. IIRC Cloudflare does that by letting you login through their panel (or was it something else?)

Oh, that would mean doing api code for all registrars :p

Don't want to do that.

Thanks anyway :)

• bsdguybsdguy Member

OK, then do it like this:

• simpler. Just ask for their domain and auto-enter whatever their whois tells. Then give them only a "Yes, I want what my domain record says" or "No, I don't want that (yet) choice.

• create a payed option to change those. It can be cheap, say 1$, but being a payed option a) keeps them (well, most) from mindlessly playing and b) creates a different legal context.

• @bsdguy said:
    OK, then do it like this:

• simpler. Just ask for their domain and auto-enter whatever their whois tells. Then give them only a "Yes, I want what my domain record says" or "No, I don't want that (yet) choice.

• create a payed option to change those. It can be cheap, say 1$, but being a payed option a) keeps them (well, most) from mindlessly playing and b) creates a different legal context.

Thanks for suggestion :)

• Thanks all others for participating in poll :)

• nepsneps Member

WSS said: Normies don't understand how this works, and giving them control over their own domain to the point of adding glue records to the registrar is a bad idea. Your target audience isn't us. They have no fucking clue, and don't care.

This.

• @pixahex said:
    BecomeWebHost.com | Start your web hosting business with just $15/month
    reseller-hosting+billing+support system+client area included... ScreenShots
    Coming soon, Subscribe to get updates. PM your feedbacks.

Signatures longer than most of your posts that fill significant portions of our screens. It should not be more than two lines.

• is Glue record different than A record ?

• Hey man! That's a nice sexy looking panel, is it a bootstrap panel? What did you use for the front-end?
    Good job!

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited July 2017

How do you add glue record ? or every provider automagically add glue record for every a record begin with "ns" ? Right now I am using cloudflare, does it support glue record ?

• sarahsarah Member

@yokowasis said:
    How do you add glue record ? or every provider automagically add glue record for every a record begin with "ns" ? Right now I am using cloudflare, does it support glue record ?

A glue record is only needed if your domain's DNS server is made reachable from a subdomain of the same domain. Like if example.com's DNS server is ns.example.com.

For cloudflare, it is the nameserver of your domain (usually). So, you don't need glue records there.

• If I went in with the knowledge of a summer host, I would say that I've no clue what nameservers or glue records were. Of course, in the spirit of summer, that's what I picked.

@pixahex

The challenge is making this user friendly enough for people to get started, and I'd say you need more documentation to help the user.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited July 2017

@sarah said:

@yokowasis said:

A glue record is only needed if your domain's DNS server is made reachable from a subdomain of the same domain. Like if example.com's DNS server is ns.example.com.

For cloudflare, it is the nameserver of your domain (usually). So, you don't need glue records there.

Do I need to add A record in addition to glue record ? or the glue record is enough.

• @yokowasis said:
    is Glue record different than A record ?

Yes, it is different.

Basically,
    Glue records = Child Name Servers = Hostname
    All different domain registrars are using different words!

@yokowasis said:

Glue records are generally can only be added from domain registrar's panel. (not cloudflare, although you can still use cloudflare).

Glue records are only required when you're using whm reseller and you want to create custom nameservers for your clients. (ns1.yourdomain.com, ns2.yourdomain.com)

Goto your domain registrar, Click on Child Name Servers / Hostname / Glue records option.

And just add it like this:

So now I can give my clients ns1.pixahex.com and ns2.pixahex.com instead using provider's white label nameservers(ns1.privatens.com, ns2.privatens.com)

yokowasis said: Do I need to add A record in addition to glue record ? or the glue record is enough.

>

Glue record is not A record so both are required

• BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
    edited July 2017

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:
    Hey man! That's a nice sexy looking panel, is it a bootstrap panel? What did you use for the front-end?
    Good job!

Thanks. Yes its bootstrap but modified haveli.

• FlamesRunner said: The challenge is making this user friendly enough for people to get started, and I'd say you need more documentation to help the user.

Yeah, I see it's confusing for lot of people. I will create a video and place it before this getting started section so everyone knows what to do.

• For example my domain is example.com

Should I add Glue record for
    ns1.example.com 1.2.3.4
    ns2.example.com 1.2.3.4

AND A Record for
    ns1.example.com 1.2.3.4
    ns2.example.com 1.2.3.4

Or only Glue Record is enough

@pixahex said:

@yokowasis said:
    is Glue record different than A record ?

Yes, it is different.

Basically,
    Glue records = Child Name Servers = Hostname
    All different domain registrars are using different words!

@yokowasis said:

Glue records are generally can only be added from domain registrar's panel. (not cloudflare, although you can still use cloudflare).

Glue records are only required when you're using whm reseller and you want to create custom nameservers for your clients. (ns1.yourdomain.com, ns2.yourdomain.com)

Goto your domain registrar, Click on Child Name Servers / Hostname / Glue records option.

And just add it like this:

So now I can give my clients ns1.pixahex.com and ns2.pixahex.com instead using provider's white label nameservers(ns1.privatens.com, ns2.privatens.com)

yokowasis said: Do I need to add A record in addition to glue record ? or the glue record is enough.

>

Glue record is not A record so both are required