Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GetKVM doesn't want to remove my account
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GetKVM doesn't want to remove my account

eastoncheastonch Member
edited July 2013 in General

Hi guys,

Got a bit of a niggle here, picked up a GetKVM deal a while ago, and only had it for one lease period, I never bothered to renew, and I never thought anything of it, heck, who does? most people just forget about their servers and let them expire.

Now when I finally got into the account and requested a cancellation of the account, I was told that the account had to be held for UK Tax reasons, I don't think this is entirely true, there is no problem with having a account deleted, aslong as some sort of 'referable' details are kept for the instance of a Tax summons.

What does LET Think? GetKVM are going to go after me for £5 for a service I was not tied into?

-Chris.

Comments

• @Jack Apologies? Could you explain?

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited July 2013

If you're going to post something about is in public, at least post the truth.

You did not request cancellation, you demanded i removed your details whilst you still have an open invoice with owed amounts and late fees and never mentioned anything about the latter. You are still yet to request cancellation at the time of me writing this.

If you have the time to post here and log in to demand i remove your details, why didn't you have the time to login and hit the "Request cancellation" button prior to your due date? Its a really simple process and as a (Albeit past) hosting provider, you should know better.

At the end of the day, these are the terms you agreed to upon sign up. http://getkvm.com/policies/terms-of-service.pdf.

And for the record, if you would have requested cancellation prior to the due date, you would not have been tied in. Cancelling (Or not in your case) after the due date, ties you in as i have to leave your server occupying space that could be used for other customers until you decide to cancel.

Ignorance is not a form of cancellation.

• @GetKVM_Ash you're mistaken sir.

I have requested cancellation around 5 minutes after responding to your ticket, so your statement, is therfore incorrect, your late fees and internal thresholds are just fancy words you're going to throw around, I highly doubt you would come after me for £5, or even £10, it's surely not worth your time and money.

I initially contacted in request that you would remove my details from your systems immediately as it was linked to the old SwiftVM email account, I thought this would of been a straight forward process, rather than going the 'i'm a professional' attitude and using your /powers/ against me.

I agreed to your terms, however your internal threshold was never mentioned, is this a figure you pull out of the sky on a case per case basis, or is this a set number that is too top secret for your paying clients to know?

edited July 2013

@eastonch said:
    GetKVM_Ash you're mistaken sir.
    I initially contacted in request that you would remove my details from your systems immediately as it was linked to the old SwiftVM email account, I thought this would of been a straight forward process, rather than going the 'i'm a professional' attitude and using your /powers/ against me.

Hating on us for following our policies and expecting professional and mature clients is just damn right funny. And no, we wont be chasing you for the £5.00, this post was worth every penny if it means other hosts know what you're about.

• @GetKVM_Ash

I did a little bit of digging.

Firstly, I notice that under the GetKVM name, you're not a registered buisness, as far as I can tell, and you don't provide a company registration number on your website.

This isnt a SwiftVM vs GetKVM debate, this is personal level, it always has been, the reason SwiftVM was in the company name was through auto fill in Google Chrome.

I love how you failed to respond to questions, and also the ticket that's still sat there.

• Should we really go into a private discussion with this forum?

• @eastonch said:
    GetKVM_Ash

I did a little bit of digging.

Firstly, I notice that under the GetKVM name, you're not a registered buisness, as far as I can tell, and you don't provide a company registration number on your website.

This isnt a SwiftVM vs GetKVM debate, this is personal level, it always has been, the reason SwiftVM was in the company name was through auto fill in Google Chrome.

I love how you failed to respond to questions, and also the ticket that's still sat there.

You call public knowledge digging? You're no pubcrawler are you.

This is a legally binding contract between Ashley Hawkridge and the customer. Throughout this
    document Ashley Hawkridge (The sole proprietor) will be referred to as “GetKVM”.

Sole proprietors don't have a registered business name. If you have anything further to add, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].

I will no longer comment here as i feel there is nothing more to add.

• But anyway, no matter how they defend themselves, GetKVM's credibility is dropped.

• DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited July 2013

@Sundaymouse: Tell us some more.

I feel like this topic is now just one where TS complains about a company. Company is defending it, instead of talking this out on tickets. If this really is about 5 crappy GBP, geez, what's the deal?

I forgot to cancel a service, too, at another hosting provider. I just had to be with them for one extra month, as it needed a 14 day early cancellation. It was just 5 euros. Big deal. That's like working 20 minutes for me (if it isn't any less).

Though, I never seen a 2 GBP fee for forgetting to cancel your service before. I find 30 days a bit too much, too. However, it's time to get over this fight.

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge
  • danodano Member

GetKVM wasn't joking in that FortaTrust thread - contract is a contract he said. Now I will need to go and login to all the old hosting providers I have used from LEB/LET, and make sure I have actually cancelled them, as I usually do, but sometimes forget to do.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited July 2013

@sundaymouse said:
    But anyway, no matter how they defend themselves, GetKVM's credibility is dropped.

How has it? The customer is at fault here and hasn't really provided any proof that @GetKVM_Ash hasn't or has responded to the ticket.

This whole post seems to be just slander because the customer couldn't be bothered to hit a single button.

Proof or GTFO...

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited July 2013

@eastonch said: I never bothered to renew, and I never thought anything of it, heck, who does?

Responsible people

@eastonch said: most people just forget about their servers and let them expire.

Those are the irresponsible people.

• @dano said:
    GetKVM wasn't joking in that FortaTrust thread - contract is a contract he said. Now I will need to go and login to all the old hosting providers I have used from LEB/LET, and make sure I have actually cancelled them, as I usually do, but sometimes forget to do.

And that's completely understandable, i do it myself some months. But if i realize i have forgotten, i pay the bill and log a ticket to apologize, i don't demand my details be removed and completely side step the fact i owe the company money.

If you'd have done the ethical thing, I probably would have too. I've been known to extend billing periods by up to a month when clients are struggling to pay etc or have lost there card. But those are the clients that show me respect and i always give it them back.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited July 2013

I've forgotten to actually press the cancellation button on a few LEB boxes here and haven't heard anything. However, one time I forgot to press the cancellation button with a DC and had to pay a $50 fee. @GetKVM_Ash couldn't have acted any more professional in this situation.

• This whole post seems to be just slander because the customer couldn't be bothered to hit a single button.

This. So far i also haven't read anything contradicting this version by @eastonch, in fact he even acknowledged that he didn't cancel on time.

• Collections are a great way to get negative publicity

• @Spencer said: Collections are a great way to get negative publicity

It's bad publicity to attempt to collect debt from dead-beat customers?

• lol what kind of asshole goes to collections over 5 pounds?

edited July 2013

@texteditor said:
    lol what kind of asshole goes to collections over 5 pounds?

Not us, if you would have taken the time out to read the entire thread before adding a somewhat useless response. I'm sure your clients appreciate your professional approach to this situation however. EDIT: Never mind, i see your not representing a real business, that's probably a good thing.

I have now updated ticket #751007 and confirmed that we have received your request to cancel, we are still however under no obligation to remove your data from our system, you still have an outstanding invoice. Please let me know if you have any further questions at all.

• Why do you care so much? It happens to me daily. I couldnt give two shits. They are gone and not needed. Bring on new clients

• @Spencer said:
    Why do you care so much? It happens to me daily. I couldnt give two shits. They are gone and not needed. Bring on new clients

Another user with selective reading. We don't care, we aren't sending him to collections and we aren't the ones that created this thread..

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • Just pay the bill. That's how life works.

• @GetKVM_Ash said:
    Another user with selective reading. We don't care, we aren't sending him to collections and we aren't the ones that created this thread..

I mean if he wants his account info deleted

edited July 2013

@Spencer said:
    I mean if he wants his account info deleted

Deleting his account in WHMCS removes all of his transaction history which we are required to keep by law for a minimum of five years. I have stated this multiple times in this thread. And he still has an unpaid invoice.

I'm sorry if the way we work is deemed as too professional by some, we take our business seriously and if anybody sees that as a bad thing then we're probably not interested in working with them anyway.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • Yes, "too professional" is definitely the vibe this thread is giving me

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@texteditor said:
    lol what kind of asshole goes to collections over 5 pounds?

There is an error in one of my ISP's billing software, if you overpay (as I do for a few months in advance), there is not a credit mentioned or negative balance to be paid, it just remains at 0.01 (one "ban" about 1/4 of an eurocent) that shows as owed. I dont know how that comes up, but for the last few months i receive SMSes about my due there and threats to be disconnected. None of that happened, I would love to, tho, just for the fun, but this is an automated process, no human is at fault, perhaps only the operators and programmers of the billing software.

Another "debt" I had, was to another ISP, UPC, in that case, which I had for the other home in the times 3G connections were expensive as heck.
    For some reason, I was registered twice in the database, once for the former company that was taken over by UPC, and again by UPC, therefore I was billed twice.
    Of course, I paid only one bill, so, in the end, they cut me off (cut the cable, was a cable modem, DOCSIS. I called the techs and told them my internet is off, so they sent a team and put the cable back, then, again, in a couple of weeks was cut off, again called the techs to reconnect, at which point they inquired why this happens and found out I "owed" them money.

I proved i paid the debt and had 0 to pay with the invoice and they found out the issue and reconnected me. This whole thing helped me have free CATV there for some years after I cancelled, because instead of deleting the old account, converted it to free, only when netcity came up and hanging wires were cut off by the town hall ppl, I was DC, last year I think.

What is the connection with the thread ? Well, I got threats to be handed over to a collection agency about the 0.01 I never owed, in fact i was overpaying, and the UPC ppl really did send me to the collectors, but the amount was much larger, in a few years got something. The UPC collectors called me regularly to ask me to pay, I was telling them I did and they said ok, only to call next month again.

The RDS ppl sent me SMSes with threats too. this is why I never trust a machine and a program to do a man's job in an area where things can get complicated really easy. Fortunately I have a lot of understanding about this and in the end it always ends in my favour, but I bet other people dont have this understanding, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

• No, it is logical to keep clients data as most countries would require proper documentation for tax purposes. This issue is about account deletion, not service cancellation. If OP do not want SwiftVM email address linked to the account, he should be able to change it with his personal or other email.

• I never bothered to renew, and I never thought anything of it, heck, who does? most people just forget about their servers and let them expire.

And you were running a business? Really?

• ZettaZetta Member

I never thought anything of it, heck, who does?

You notice how most users here don't make threads crying foul at a provider because we didn't pay? Yeah that's us.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I usually hit the cancel button when i dont want service anymore. I learned from Aldryic posts before that it is a good practice, both for customer and host. it saves trouble for both parties.

This discussion has been closed.