Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who preferred KVM for vps hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ben_adictben_adict Member
edited January 2012 in General

Hello

Is this good offer than Xen-HVM?

Comments

• KVM is the closest virtualisation technique to a true dedicated server. That is why many, including me, prefer it.

• KVM is awesome :P

Thanked by 2Infinity tux
  • i prefer KVM for my client. but i always looking OpenVZ for playing around. :D

• I have to admit that my first experiences with KVM weren't happy ones. Granted that was a problem with me not expecting me to have to install the OS myself as well as not reading the emails @miTgiB sent out.

• fanfan Veteran

KVM is my choice now, for the freedom to do almost anything inside a VPS like a real dedicated server and the lower density compared with OpenVZ.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

KVM is my number one choice, I love it. My first experience was, this is long but I got used to it. There isn't much setting up and stuff to do.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I used to prefer Xen, but now I prefer OpenVZ due to the ease of management, setup and control. From a client perspective, I don't really have a preference and use all kinds for my personal use.

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited January 2012

@drmike said: I have to admit that my first experiences with KVM weren't happy ones. Granted that was a problem with me not expecting me to have to install the OS myself as well as not reading the emails @miTgiB sent out.

Actually @drmike you can actually have a template system, we have currently implemented a basic version of it but we are looking to replace it within the next month with our new system which is much easier for clients to re-install compared to our current ISOs.

Send me a quick PM on here and I will get you a link to test our KVM services out for a couple of hours.

You wont be going on a production node but one of our testing ones will be okay for some quick testing by you.

I am aware SolusVM have implemented a Network Install function using PXE but that is still not working how I would like it too.

• @LV_Matt said: I am aware SolusVM have implemented a Network Install function using PXE but that is still not working how I would like it too.

PXE can use all sorts of things, it's not Solus borking it, but the menuing and kickstart being a limitation of it. Delta was working on something of a template system that would mount the VM's disk in the host node and dump a template in along with boot blocks but I don't recall how much progress he's made with it.

• @Mon5t3r said: i prefer KVM for my client. but i always looking OpenVZ for playing around. :D

@fan said: KVM is my choice now, for the freedom to do almost anything inside a VPS like a real dedicated server and the lower density compared with OpenVZ.

@KuJoe said: I used to prefer Xen, but now I prefer OpenVZ

I think the OP was asking for comparisons of KVM vs Xen HVM :)

• @sleddog said: I think the OP was asking for comparisons of KVM vs Xen HVM :)

A topic already discussed several times, I guess :P

Thanked by 2Mon5t3r tux
  • @miTgiB said: PXE can use all sorts of things, it's not Solus borking it, but the menuing and kickstart being a limitation of it.

Exactly what I was meaning, as we have shown there is a few much better alternatives to it.

I will be reducing information on it within the next month too a week on how its been done.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

KVM vs Xen HVM - they are basically identical. Both use Qemu to provide the actual visualization, and thus both will behave basically the same way.

• @ramnet said: both will behave basically the same way.

You'd think that, but there are subtle differences between them and KVM gets my vote for the superior tech. I have a client that wanted to encrypt their filesystem and use gentoo, Xen HVM couldn't boot it, KVM asked for what was next.

• ben_adictben_adict Member
    edited January 2012

@ramnet KVM vs Xen HVM - they are basically identical. Both use Qemu to provide the actual visualization, and thus both will behave basically the same way.

I have just tried KVM, i am so impressed than Xen-HVM. But how marketing?