Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why many KVM providers do not provide Ubuntu 16.04 template?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why many KVM providers do not provide Ubuntu 16.04 template?

kimidkimid Member
edited July 2017 in General

I find that many KVM providers do not provide Ubuntu 16.04 template in their control panel. In their Reinstall page, there is only Ubuntu 14.04, and sometimes even only Ubuntu 12.04. Why? Is it difficult to add Ubuntu 16.04 template?

Although KVM can install OS via mounting ISO, it's still impossible for some low RAM VPS (256M) since installing Ubuntu 16.04 need more RAM.

Comments

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@kimid, not sure about other providers but we do provide Ubuntu 16.04 template for all our KVM VPS.

• rocketrocket Member

Which providers are you using?

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

We do provide as template and iso

• edited July 2017

@kimid said:
    I find that many KVM providers do not provide Ubuntu 16.04 template in their control panel. In their Reinstall page, there is only Ubuntu 14.04, and sometimes even only Ubuntu 12.04. Why? Is it difficult to add Ubuntu 16.04 template?

Although KVM can install OS via mounting ISO, it's still impossible for some low RAM VPS (256M) since installing Ubuntu 16.04 need more RAM.

I know right. I was trying to order an atom 230 5 euro a month server from digicube.com(http://www.digicube.com/rapidserveurs/55). Just to try them out.

I was completely flabbergasted when I saw their only Opetating system options were

Debian 7.0 Wheezy
    Debian 6.0 Squeeze
    CentOS 6.0
    Ubuntu Precise 12.04LTS server edition

Like really, not even Ubuntu 14.04?

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

We (owned-networks.net) have it available as well, both in iso and template.

• kimidkimid Member

@rocket said:
    Which providers are you using?

I'm using rectified.net , dgchost.net , and recently I also check some KVM offers in LET, like xhostfire.com , cycloneservers.net , archhosting.net and so on. It seems that they do not provide ubuntu 16.04 template.

• kimidkimid Member

@vmhaus @hostdare @ndelaespada
    Thank you all. Are you using SolusVM as control panel? I guess maybe those do not have Ubuntu 16.04 is using an old version of SolusVM, but I'm not sure.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

@kimid said:
    Are you using SolusVM as control panel?

Correct, SolusVM.

• I have a lot of OpenVZ services, and even there I'm running Ubuntu 16.04. Politely asking for the template to be added works 100% of the time.

• hostfavhostfav Member, Host Rep

We provide Ubuntu 16.04 and iso image.
    We are using Proxmox

• kimidkimid Member

@advarisk said:
    I have a lot of OpenVZ services, and even there I'm running Ubuntu 16.04. Politely asking for the template to be added works 100% of the time.

Yes all of the OpenVZ services that I have used provide Ubuntu 16.04, but KVM seems not. That's why I feel confused.

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited July 2017

@kimid said:said:

I have a lot of OpenVZ services, and even there I'm running Ubuntu 16.04. Politely asking for the template to be added works 100% of the time.

Yes all of the OpenVZ services that I have used provide Ubuntu 16.04, but KVM seems not. That's why I feel confused.

I have 4 idle vps due to same reason

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

We do provide KVM this version + preinstalled one as well.

• NdhaNdha Member

@kimid : @vmhaus using virtualizor..

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Open a ticket, a lot of times it's just an oversight because adding an ISO only takes a few minutes. If the provider doesn't add the ISO after you open a ticket then that's when you should open a thread here so we can discuss it.

Asking why a complete stranger does something isn't an exciting topic and all it does is give providers the opportunity to signature spam the thread with nonsense. I'm also going to call it now, this thread will be necro'ed at least once in it's lifetime by some dirty provider in an attempt to spam.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Most do not because there isn't a template in their panel's template repository and are too lazy to create it manually.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

Hosts that use Virtualizor (we do, Cyclone does, not sure about the rest) should have the Ubuntu 16.04 image available. If not, ask them to download it (http://www.virtualizor.com/templates). I just noticed Ubuntu 16.10 templates are out as well.

When we looked at SolusVM a few months ago they didn't have an Ubuntu 16.04 image available, I spent some time trying to create one and couldn't get it to work -- and SolusVM support was unwilling to help.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Tell them to use my templates. https://storagesrv.ip.extravm.com/svmkvm/