Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the best yet easiest VPS web server setup script so far?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the best yet easiest VPS web server setup script so far?

Hey guys, I'm looking for the best yet easiest VPS web server setup script that is currently working in 2017.

Realized this one (https://vpssim.com/) has not been updated since 2016.

Please post your best recommendations only. Thanks

Comments

• NdhaNdha Member

Debian/Ubuntu : EasyEngine

Centos : Centminmod (More Advance)..

• quickquick Member

The one and only centminmod

• WickedWicked Member

I have been using ServerPilot for 2 years. It’s very good, but limited. I run both big and small websites, never had an issue (20-30 sites)

Might be worth checking out EasyEngine tho.

Thanked by 1rgenzon
  • apt-get install nginx

• ucxoucxo Member

If you can't set up a service yourself, don't run it. You're only going to create unnecessary headaches for yourself, your customers, and everyone that gets DDoS'd when your server ultimately gets hacked.

Shared hosting exists for a reason; leave the difficult bits to people who know what they're doing.

Thanked by 1dedipromo
  • centminmod.com

• I can vouch for centminmod (prefer the betainstaller to the original). Installing Wordpress is a breeze. Have also setup a ruby rails application after setting a nginx vhost from centminmod menu.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • most popular web server have oneline - copy pasta sh script to install it.

Lemp Stack, Easy Engine, Vestacp, Kloxo-mr, centos webpanel, tuxlite, virtualmin

all of them can be easily installed just by pasting the command.

• +10 for centminmod

• dwtbfdwtbf Member

If you need one, you should stick to shared cPanel

• @ucxo said:
    If you can't set up a service yourself, don't run it. You're only going to create unnecessary headaches for yourself, your customers, and everyone that gets DDoS'd when your server ultimately gets hacked.

Shared hosting exists for a reason; leave the difficult bits to people who know what they're doing.

Didn't ask for this lol. But I'm asking as I want to learn more about basic server stuff myself, and the best way to learn is to try to use something yourself so you could learn along the way.

• @dwtbf said:

Thanks, trying to learn here that's why I'm not trying to use cPanel :-)

• @Ndha said:
    Debian/Ubuntu : EasyEngine

Centos : Centminmod (More Advance)..

Thanks for your recommendations! I'll try em out

• dwtbfdwtbf Member

@rgenzon said:

@dwtbf said:

Thanks, trying to learn here that's why I'm not trying to use cPanel :-)

So why not learn the terminal before you learn a UI?

• @dwtbf said:
    So why not learn the terminal before you learn a UI?

Why not? It's really a matter of preference what I wanna dig in to first.

• ucxoucxo Member

rgenzon said: the best way to learn is to try to use something yourself so you could learn along the way

And I'd say you'll learn more by following a tutorial than by running a one-off installer script and going "Oh, it works. Cool.". ;)

Thanked by 1rgenzon
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Centmin Mod for me (biased as it's my baby) :)

Whatever you choose, make sure it's up to update i.e. VPSSIM and EasyEngine's nginx versions are severely outdated and missing quite a few security updates.

Centmin Mod is always kept up to update and end user can initiate nginx and php-fpm updates without waiting on me to update Centmin Mod i.e. some of my users updated their Nginx versions themslves within 35 mins of nginx's official announcement at nginx.org https://community.centminmod.com/threads/nginx-announce-nginx-1-13-3.12245/

Thanked by 2abytecurious sarah
  • noamannoaman Member

vesta cp is the best

webmin also can be installed very easily

• I also like vestacp

• @eva2000 said:

Gotta try this one! Thanks, you just 'sold' me on trying out centminmod :-)

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@rgenzon said:

@eva2000 said:

Gotta try this one! Thanks, you just 'sold' me on trying out centminmod :-)

don't forget to drop in and say hello on the official community forums https://community.centminmod.com/forums/introductions.5/ ^_^

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • mexyulmexyul Member

@eva2000 any plan for Debian?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • I second @eva2000's Centminmod. Setup is easy peasy. Documentation is fabulous (seriously, every question I could think of is out there)

And considering that you also want to get your hands dirty (if required), you can still make changes to configuration files. I switched from a LE cert to a Comodo Wildcard and it was a manual process (yes, documented) to edit the .ssl.conf files.

I installed zammad and was able to use centmin to setup nginx as a reverse proxy. Was easy enough. Definitely centminmod for what you need, it goes beyond being just an easy way to install wordpress.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@mexyul said:
    @eva2000 any plan for Debian?

as @ramesh_vish said, already an answer for that FAQ item 12 https://centminmod.com/faq.html :) But from dev roadmap dashboard wishlist has Fedora in the future https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod/projects/1. But still plenty to perfect on CentOS for now :)

• Hi,

CentminMOD and EasyEngine are good and I have experience both. But now I'm also looking to try the following 2 options:

https://runcloud.io/

https://roots.io/trellis/

Will try them when I have the time. It will depend on your usage and the time you are willing to setup and them mantain. If you just want to "setup, go and forget" for a Wordpress website go with EasyEngine. If you want to manage more aspects of the server and sooner updates go with CentminMOD...

Thanked by 1bersy
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

nqservices said: CentminMOD and EasyEngine are good and I have experience both. But now I'm also looking to try the following 2 options:

Always good to try other solutions and see what's on the other side. Even better when you come back to Centmin Mod, and provide feedback as to what others are doing so to improve Centmin Mod ^_^

• webmin/virtualmin hands down no.1

• @eva2000 I'm confused about which version of centminmod to use now, .08 or .09 beta? I saw you once said that the current .09 beta of centminmod will be the next stable, however on github you're still pushing updates to the repo.