Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup Storage Server with Traffic flatrate. How can it work?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup Storage Server with Traffic flatrate. How can it work?

Hi,

Interested in Netcup storage servers at: https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vstorage.php#features but I see that they have included as "feature" their "famous" Traffic flatrate that limits the network if detects 80Mbit/s during 15 minutes.

If was not this I had already bought. Anyone has a Storage Server with them? If yes how do you deal with that kind of limit? For me it seems almost impossible to have it work as a backup server because of that limit.

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

afaik this is outdated and probably just not updated on their english pages. their german states the new rules which have been in place since some time late last year...

it says you'll get 200Mbit on average, so burstable 1Gbit. and on that line you can do 10TB without throttling. only after that if you do more than 80 Mbit on average for longer than 60 minutes they will throttle you to 10Mbit for the rest of the month.

afaik this also isn't anything automated so they might use this more as an option to handle abuse just in case...

I have one of those 1.5TB storage thingies from their easter promo and am pretty happy about it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

+1 for netcup! Premium Services^^

• @Falzo said:
    afaik this is outdated and probably just not updated on their english pages. their german states the new rules which have been in place since some time late last year...

it says you'll get 200Mbit on average, so burstable 1Gbit. and on that line you can do 10TB without throttling. only after that if you do more than 80 Mbit on average for longer than 60 minutes they will throttle you to 10Mbit for the rest of the month.

Ok, thanks! That makes sense. They should really update their website!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@nqservices said:

Ok, thanks! That makes sense. They should really update their website!

I totally agree, it even is not stated in their TOS so you only can notice it, if you hover the info... as said before I think they only make use of that manually on a case by case decision to prevent abuse.

so far I did not run into problems with them even on the old terms - yet I don't come close to 10 TB traffic and also >80Mbit for more then an hour won't happen that often.

I initially pushed ~500GB onto the box anyways, but can't tell anymore how long that took or at what rate... used rsync from an online.net box.