Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox 4.x/SoYouStart
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox 4.x/SoYouStart

XenosXenos Member

I am having issues configuring the networking for a VM running Win 2008. I checked several guides, but I must be missing something.

Here is what I have done.

1. Created a virtual mac address in the SYS Panel for the failover IP I am using

2. Created the network device for the VM in Proxmox including the mac address using Virtio

3. Entered the IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and OVH DNS in the Windows network settings.

Does anyone see what I'm missing?

Comments

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited July 2017

Have you make bridge interface in the host?

Read this carefully

http://help.ovh.co.uk/Proxmox

• XenosXenos Member

@akhfa said:
    Have you make bridge interface in the host?

Read this carefully

http://help.ovh.co.uk/Proxmox

Yes, that is the guide I used.

• XenosXenos Member

@TheXO said:
    Adapter settings of IPv4 are set correctly? Also, use the OVH DNS or it wouln't work

IP : 1.2.3.0

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255

Gateway: 1.2.3.254

DNS: 213.186.33.99

• akhfaakhfa Member

Do you have another vm and its networking works?

• XenosXenos Member

@TheXO said:
    I use the same config and works fine, the gateway should be the main server ip but ends with 254, recheck and try to disable/re-enable the adapter. Make Sure the VirtIO drivers are well configed.

I tried and still no luck. Not sure what I have missed.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Maybe this'll help, maybe not, but here's some notes I saved when setting up a Windows Server 2016 VM with a failover IP on my SoYouStart box:

=== INSIDE PROXMOX ===
    Create VM with iso
    HW:
        - Processors type: host
        - HD: scsi, cache - write through, discard checked
        - Network Bridge - vmbr0 (bridge with main IP), Model -virtio, set MAC the generated OVH virt MAC in server IP panel

=== INSIDE WINDOWS VM ===

Install VirtIO drivers from mounted iso
    In Adapter settings (right-click -> properties) go to IPv4 properties
        - Use this IP
            - IP_Failover
            - Subnet mask 255.255.255.255
            - Default GW MainIP with last octet 254

- Use DNS
            - Preferred 8.8.8.8
            - Alternate 8.8.4.4

Advanced
            DNS -> Uncheck "Register this connection's addresses in DNS"
            WINS -> NetBIOS setting -> disable and Uncheck "Enable LMHOSTS lookup"

regedit - Registry Values
    1.  - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<var>adapter name</var>
        - Add the following value to this key:
            - Value name: IPAutoconfigurationEnabled
            - Value type: REG_DWORD
            - Value in hexadecimal: 0 (A value of 0 disables APIPA support on this adapter)

2. - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
        - Add value to key:
            - Value name: ArpRetryCount
            - Value type: REG_DWORD
            - Value: 0

Then Outbound and Inbound rules need to be issued that allow traffic on the ports that need to be opened. Can be found on the server management panel -> tools -> windows firewall.

I'm not sure why the registry values shit was necessary but I was being provided a local IP (169.254.x.x) until I added them. Also another thing that tripped me up is that you need to assign the main linux bridge in proxmox (the one with your host IP) to the VM, not the one with your failover IP.

• MaikoBMaikoB Member

@Xenos said:

@TheXO said:
    Adapter settings of IPv4 are set correctly? Also, use the OVH DNS or it wouln't work

Gateway have to be the host IP with last octet at 254.

https://docs.ovh.com/au/en/cloud/dedicated/network-bridging/

In Windows, you might need to set the netmask to 255.255.255.0, apply the setting and then set it to 255.255.255.255 (which is important or your server is going to send broadcast on the network and you'll get a mail from our monitoring ;))

Should work out of the box if you are using the correct MAC and driver for your Windows guest ;)

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • vetvettervetvetter Member
    edited July 2017

Funny you should ask this.... I just went a few rounds with this today with a Xenserver/Untangle combo trying to get it working. Done it many times before, but often times different providers require different things.

I was driving myself crazy thinking typed in something wrong(IP, gateway, subnet, MAC), there was a problem with my firewall settings, etc....

MaikoB is 100% correct.

My issue was I was reading through their documents too fast and missed the part saying to use the main IP's gateway for the failover IP's gateway.

In other words:
    main IP = 1.2.3.4
    gateway = 1.2.3.254

failover IP = 9.8.7.6
    gateway = 1.2.3.254

Plugged that in and bingo.... instant pings....

They talk about it a bit here in this doc. You can extrapolate most of the info from it. I was just reading to fast to catch that one very important part.

http://help.ovh.ie/BridgeClient

Hope that helps!

@MaikoB said:

@Xenos said:

@TheXO said:

Gateway have to be the host IP with last octet at 254.

https://docs.ovh.com/au/en/cloud/dedicated/network-bridging/

In Windows, you might need to set the netmask to 255.255.255.0, apply the setting and then set it to 255.255.255.255 (which is important or your server is going to send broadcast on the network and you'll get a mail from our monitoring ;))

Should work out of the box if you are using the correct MAC and driver for your Windows guest ;)

Thanked by 1MaikoB
  • Were you able to get it to work?

As said above:

Netmask: 255.255.255.0 might work.

Or once I clicked diagnose and windows self-healed the issue. :)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Xenos said:

Does anyone see what I'm missing?

yes, more details on what you did and how you actual configuration looks like are missing ;-)

please elaborate about you bridge setup, maybe simpliest post the whole /etc/network/interfaces and ouput of ifconfig (both from the node of course)

for the gateway: as other pointed out you should use the gateway for the main IP of the the host which will be that IP ending in .254

also the netmask most probably should not be 255.255.255.0 but 255.255.255.255 to have the guest use static routing (can't exactly tell how this is implemented in win 2008 though)

TheXO said: Also, use the OVH DNS or it wouln't work

that's just an urban myth totally not to believed in. just use google dns 8.8.8.8 or any other existing one and you're good. after all definetly not the point of failure.

@akhfa said:
    Do you have another vm and its networking works?

this is a good question, so an answer to that would be nice - just to narrow down if this problem is related to your general setup or specific to that single windows VM.

• MaikoBMaikoB Member
    edited July 2017

Falzo said: that's just an urban myth totally not to believed in. just use google dns 8.8.8.8 or any other existing one and you're good. after all definetly not the point of failure.

I would not really recommend that for a server.

Using our DNS server is recommended because of it's low latency in our Network : 213.186.33.99

I've seen people using strange DNS server and then wndering why this or this action take so much time... (like sending mail which require multiple DNS request) I even recommend to set your own DNS Servers and use it in your guest ;)

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • FalzoFalzo Member

MaikoB said: Using our DNS server is recommended because of it's low latency in our Network : 213.186.33.99

I've seen people using strange DNS server and then wndering why this or this action take so much time... (like sending mail which require multiple DNS request) I even recommend to set your own DNS Servers and use it in your guest ;)

while your reason behind your recommendation totally makes sense, I've never ran into problems using the google dns so far. I use OHV dns as second entry though...

here I was more about the story that using OVH dns is a MUST - which clearly isn't true ;-)

• XenosXenos Member
    edited July 2017

Thanks everyone! I was not using the gateway for the main ip.

• XenosXenos Member

@MaikoB

What would cause pages in Chrome to load very slowly? I'm using the OVH DNS and pings to the sites are normal.

• citrixcitrix Member

Hmmm is it only chrome or all browsers?

• MaikoB said: I even recommend to set your own DNS Servers and use it in your guest

That's what I did, set up a DNS resolver, forward all DNS requests to 213.186.33.99 and then point guest OSs to the internal IP of the DNS server you're running.

No issues at all, plus DNS names are already cached locally on the DNS server itself and anything else is forwarded to OVH's server.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@MaikoB said:
    Using our DNS server is recommended because of it's low latency in our Network : 213.186.33.99

Even though it's lower latency, I found it took WAYYY longer to do standard lookups vs OpenDNS or Google DNS. Those servers must be getting hammered, lol. Even though Google DNS is like +20ms away, it still returns results way faster than OVH DNS from my testing.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MaikoBMaikoB Member
    edited July 2017

@Harambe said:

@MaikoB said:

Even though it's lower latency, I found it took WAYYY longer to do standard lookups vs OpenDNS or Google DNS. Those servers must be getting hammered, lol. Even though Google DNS is like +20ms away, it still returns results way faster than OVH DNS from my testing.

Really ? :)

$ dig lowendtalk.com @8.8.8.8 | grep "Query"
    ;; Query time: 129 msec

;; Query time: 135 msec

;; Query time: 129 msec

$ dig lowendtalk.com @213.186.33.99 | grep "Query"
    ;; Query time: 0 msec

But yes, I agree, it depend on the cache. Google (and other like OpenDNS) get lot of request. The probability that you request something which is not in cache is low.

We get less request so you might get longer query time because the information might not be in cache already. But as soon as it's in cache, it's faaaast :)

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@MaikoB said: But yes, I agree, it depend on the cache. Google (and other like OpenDNS) get lot of request. The probability that you request something which is not in cache is low.

We get less request so you might get longer query time because the information might not be in cache already. But as soon as it's in cache, it's faaaast :)

Perhaps I just had some bad luck at BHS previously, was quite a bit slower when testing amongst a variety of queries. The thing that tipped me off to it was the rDNS lookups OpenSSH does for the connecting IP, was always +3-4s to connect. Swapped to Google DNS and it was always near instant shrug

The bigger list of cached results makes a difference with the weird lookups I apparently do, haha.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

Harambe said: The thing that tipped me off to it was the rDNS lookups OpenSSH does for the connecting IP, was always +3-4s to connect. Swapped to Google DNS and it was always near instant shrug

remember seeing that too :-)

• Yeah it just depends on a lot of different factors

• XenosXenos Member

I am having a new issue after getting the network config resolved. I have a Win vm and a Debian 9 vm created in Proxmox. There is a web app running on the Debian vm that I can't access from the Win VM using any browser. I can access the app from my pc. I can access other sites from the Win vm. Any ideas?

• Ping the Debian VM from the Windows VM, do you get a reply?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Xenos said:
    I am having a new issue after getting the network config resolved. I have a Win vm and a Debian 9 vm created in Proxmox. There is a web app running on the Debian vm that I can't access from the Win VM using any browser. I can access the app from my pc. I can access other sites from the Win vm. Any ideas?

are the IPs of both VMs in the same subnet? what subnet did you enter in your network config on both ends?

• XenosXenos Member

@mikewazar said:
    Ping the Debian VM from the Windows VM, do you get a reply?

The ping times out.

• XenosXenos Member

@Falzo said:

@Xenos said:

are the IPs of both VMs in the same subnet? what subnet did you enter in your network config on both ends?

They are both in the same subnet.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@xenos: what netmask did you enter in debian and windows? 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.255.255 ? my guess would be that you have the former somewhere and therefore the vm is looking for a neighbour but can't reach it, because it would need to go through the gateway first.

• XenosXenos Member

@Falzo said:
    @xenos: what netmask did you enter in debian and windows? 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.255.255 ? my guess would be that you have the former somewhere and therefore the vm is looking for a neighbour but can't reach it, because it would need to go through the gateway first.

The Win vm has 255.255.255.255 and I just noticed the Debian vm has 255.255.255.252. I changed it to 255.255.255.255 in /etc/network/interfaces but it reverts back to 252 after I reboot.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@xenos that's how my interfaces file usually looks like under debian:

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
        address A.B.C.D
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        pointopoint C.D.E.254
        gateway C.D.E.254
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
        dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8

where A.B.C.D is the IP assigned that VM and C.D.E.254 is the main gateway of the hostnode (same as discussed above for the windows settings)

you might try to run a traceroute from both ends, to see what it gives as an output...

• XenosXenos Member
    edited July 2017

@Falzo Mine is...

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address A.B.C.D
            netmask 255.255.255.252
    # --- BEGIN PVE ---
            post-up ip route add C.D.E.254 dev eth0
            post-up ip route add default via C.D.E.254 dev eth0
            pre-down ip route del default via C.D.E.254 dev eth0
            pre-down ip route del C.D.E.254 dev eth0
    # --- END PVE ---

Traceroute to Win vm

traceroute to A.B.C.D (A.B.C.D), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  * * *
     2  po111.bhs-g1-a75.qc.ca (198.27.73.93)  1.285 ms po111.bhs-g2-a75-lo2.qc.ca (198.27.73.95)  1.276 ms  1.275 ms
     3  10.95.81.8 (10.95.81.8)  2.333 ms * *
     4  be100-1319.nwk-1-a9.nj.us (198.27.73.205)  10.020 ms be100-1323.nwk-5-a9.nj.us (192.99.146.139)  10.628 ms be100-1319.nwk-1-a9.nj.us (198.27.73.205)  10.005 ms
     5  * * *