Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's encrypt gone on buyshared?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Let's encrypt gone on buyshared?

dwtbfdwtbf Member

Server: lv-shared04

I can't see let's encrypt at all?

Comments

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited July 2017

Did the ticket system not work? @francisco

• ZerpyZerpy Member

It might be that it's using AutoSSL which issues cPanel / Comodo or Let's Encrypt certs every now and then :-)

I'm sure a ticket to buyshared would answer the question as well.

• rocketrocket Member

Asked about this the other day, they're using AutoSSL now and the certs are done every morning automatically.

If you ask they can do it manually however.

• dwtbfdwtbf Member

I did open ticket last night

• quickquick Member
    edited July 2017
  • Get a refugee!™

• WSSWSS Member

BN buyout?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • Miguel stole them.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@dwtbf said:
    Server: lv-shared04

I can't see let's encrypt at all?

have you tried official way? to open support ticket and ask tech support about it?

Off-topic: what happened with lowendtalk live chat as it was yesterday or day before?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The module is no longer supported so I had to swap us to AutoSSL.

It should be working the exact same, just runs as a CRON instead of user triggered.

Francisco

Thanked by 2dwtbf Hxxx
  • Francisco said: The module is no longer supported so I had to swap us to AutoSSL.

Which module? One one by letsencrypt-for-cpanel(dot)com?

@DigitalFyre said:

Francisco said: The module is no longer supported so I had to swap us to AutoSSL.

Ja.

I've contacted them multiple times asking for them to get the webmail.* and other internal domains working but they aren't responding. In the end the tickets were piling up and AutoSSL was the fix, even though I liked the LE module a lot more.

Francisco

• dwtbfdwtbf Member

@Francisco said:

@DigitalFyre said:

Francisco said: The module is no longer supported so I had to swap us to AutoSSL.

Ja.

I've contacted them multiple times asking for them to get the webmail.* and other internal domains working but they aren't responding. In the end the tickets were piling up and AutoSSL was the fix, even though I liked the LE module a lot more.

Francisco

Does AutoSSL allow new certificates for sub domains?

@dwtbf said:

@Francisco said:

@DigitalFyre said:

Ja.

Francisco

Does AutoSSL allow new certificates for sub domains?

Yep since AutoSSL is cPanel's version of the LE module.

It works, I just wish it had a end user option so we wouldn't have people panicing.

Francisco

• JorboxJorbox Member

It has a end user option

@Jorbox said:
    It has a end user option

Does it? Since when? I remember there being a feature request for it but never an option to make it do a pull for the user.

Francisco

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Jorbox said:
    It has a end user option

Don't think so? You might be mistaking a third party addon, the ones I've used had it but the AutoSSL has no end user option to create certs.

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited July 2017

Never works for me and its a pain in the arse, do i leave the domains unsigned or with a self signed one for the cron job to work its magic.

every other shared hosting i have its just simple click and install.......

Thanked by 1dwtbf
  • irmirm Member
    edited July 2017

@corbpie said:
    every other shared hosting i have its just simple click and install.......

Nice man. In your professional opinion what should @Francisco do? Stay with a troublesome plugin who's devs aren't even addressing it's issues and allow said issues to pile up in the background till an outage occurs or....... swap to a properly functioning plugin that's missing a minor option but at the end of the day works exactly as it should?

I personally think he should stick with the fucked up one so it causes him more issues (and hopefully downtime because I like a good downtime thread) because that seems reasonable.

• It has been a month or more since it was removed

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @irm i never have downtime with these other providers who use the plugin, so why does it only happen to buyshared?

• @jetchirag said:
    It has been a month or more since it was removed

From the user side, you mean? (AutoSSL)

• irmirm Member
    edited July 2017

@corbpie said:
    @irm i never have downtime with these other providers who use the plugin, so why does it only happen to buyshared?

Because those other hosts aren't summer hosts like this """""BuyShared""""" provider obviously.

(or maybe they are having the same issues in the background and have no idea on how to even approach it aside from praying to the hosting gods that their shit doesn't break.... today)

Point is Francisco identified an issue in said plugin and took measures that in his opinion have rectified the issue till the original module is fixed and brought up to his standards even if it means users lose some minor functionality for the time being (oh... no...)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @cyberpersons said:

@jetchirag said:
    It has been a month or more since it was removed

From the user side, you mean? (AutoSSL)

Third party plugin. After that AutoSSL was activated, I had few problems in beginning as it wasn't working properly (I guess due to litespeed or huge number of domains) but working great now.

Thanked by 1Francisco

We were seeing at least 3 to 5 tickets a day about it since people wanted it for whitelisting and things like that. Some were repeat customers, but it was a strain on everyone.

I contacted the developers a few times and never once heard back. I'm fairly sure it's not handled much anymore given they likely get almost no new sales.

It's a good module, I liked it. AutoSSL is even better though since I'm able to bypass all the .htaccess conflicts we would run into. Couple that with the proper proxy domains and it's an overall positive. Some day they will add a frontend plugin but for now im content.

Francisco

• williewillie Member

I found a shell script on github (dehydrated) that does the whole letsencrypt protocol, so that's what I use for my own certs now. I wonder if there'd be any obstacles to running it from Stallion.

• @willie said:
    I found a shell script on github (dehydrated) that does the whole letsencrypt protocol, so that's what I use for my own certs now. I wonder if there'd be any obstacles to running it from Stallion.

You can also install certbot. I don't see why there would be a problem with stallion?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

@corbpie said:
    @irm i never have downtime with these other providers who use the plugin, so why does it only happen to buyshared?

This is something I usually only need to explain to developers, but here goes: because there's a difference between "working" and "correct".

"Working" only tells you that something hasn't broken yet, and that right now it's doing what you expect it to do - or at least, it seems like it does. This is a very weak guarantee, however; it could break tomorrow, or in 5 minutes, or it could already be broken but you just haven't noticed it yet because it broke in a subtle (but potentially dangerous) way.

"Correct" is the one you want to be going for, because it gives you assurances about whether something will keep working in the future, and reduces the likelihood that it'll be broken without you realizing it.

This somewhat loosely maps to this scenario as well, even though it's not directly about software development. You have no idea whether the old plugin is breaking for other hosting providers or not - you can only see your own experiences. There is therefore the choice to stick with an unmaintained plugin (potentially "working", but known not to be "correct" and very likely to break in the future), or switch to a maintained one that is known to function correctly.

Sure, in the short term it seems like there's no benefit in switching plugins, but that's because you're just looking at "does it work for me right now", and you're ignoring the assurances whether it'll keep working in the future. And that just so happens to be where the difference is.

This is another interesting read on a related concept.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb