Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edis - as a potential new customer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Edis - as a potential new customer

the_pfythe_pfy Member

Afternoon all,
I've been using a VPS with a company in the US (Tektonic who are very good at what they do) for the past few years but in light of prism and all the other monitoring that comes about and that they dont allow VPN I took to searching through here and found Edis who for less money offer SO much more than I am getting with tektonic (I am looking at the OVZ Advanced plan) but what I really want to know is what you people have to say about Edis as a company and there products how are the support team how quickly do you get a response that kinda thing, I'm off to Korea in a few weeks so getting a good fast stable VPN for while I am on the public WiFi would be a good thing to have in my pocket.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Edis is a good company and their services work well - in some locations better than in other locations.

However if you absolutely need to avoid prism and other government surveilance programs - you should be looking for services on another planet. Or simply don't use the internet again.

Thanked by 3MrObvious D3vil Dylan
  • ha ha, Its not because I am doing anything against the law but I am moving all of the services I have in the US out of the US on principle of the matter. (and as I said VPN would be a nice thing to have in my pocket :-) ) 6tb of bandwidth is a nice thing to have around and is way more than the 500gb I get with tektonic

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2013

Edis are good in this what they do, however I am wondering... do you get with Tektonic also vps management? Because if you depend from "support team" and "quick responses" you may be dissapointed even with some of most popular VPS providers on this forum.
    To return back to Edis. They are great because all those locations with affordable prices. You can get some good stuff here. But if you require great uptime I am not so sure about that. As much as I like them they aren't among my stablest VPS providers.

• Edis has a tendency to get DDoSed and according to their support they cant do much about it. Edis in Sweden was down 3-4 times per month due to DDOS, which was enough for me to move away.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

I took to searching through here and found Edis who for less money offer SO much more

This caught my eye; With all due respect to EDIS, they don't offer anything out of the ordinary with regard to cost-to-specs ratio; their main benefit is offering service from like 20 different locations around the world, some of which are unique and have no other VPS offers at all, let alone cheaper ones.

However if you are okay with one of the "more common" locations, you can find much better offers if you look around this site and forum a bit more.

• However their Austria location got a 10 Gbits BW upgrade recently and one is planned in near future again, so they might stand against Ddos in Austria a bit better these days.

• I only ask about the support because I did have an issue in the past where an issue with the network was causing traffic to my VPS to run at about 3 or 4k which was causing problems with everything, I'm not a linux Guru (I'm windows trained and currently learning Mac) but i know enough to fix most of my linux issues most of the time :-) but if I had a problem with the network or other service then knowing I could talk to someone would be a good thing.

Sadly DDoS attacks are only going to get worse as more and more botnets appear in the wild....

Who if the most stable providers you guys have come across? tektonic have been good to me but even on my 120mb fibre connection I can only get about 9mbps from the VPS in the US which is just one more reason to look for a new provider, When I first started looking at this a long time ago (about 5 years maybe more) way less providers were out and about.

• MyatuMyatu Member

Just my two cents here.

Their support is excellent, with a quick response time. They don't seem to mind answering a few questions via Twitter or FB. The VPS' I've had under the Edis brand haven't had issues with DDoS (at least at their Graz [now Vienna] location). Good throughput speeds, stable disk IO. Nothing bad to report.

The WaveRide brand has been a bit of a hit-and-miss. It was good for the first few weeks, bar an issue due to SolusVM that was quickly resolved. Last Tuesday it's been unreachable due to a DDoS (approx. 3 hours), and last Thursday it had an inexplicable shutdown (with no follow-up boot - so it just sat there 'offline' - with me thinking it was yet another DDoS). I'm still trying to figure out why that happened, as it could well be something that was due to my own fault, but it no longer likes to run Shorewall6 since, whereas before it did - I find that a bit of an oddity if "nothing changed".

But having said that said, I do take that as less critical, as it's clearly stated that the WaveRide brand doesn't come with any sort of support or guarantees - the fact that they've given some support anyway has been a plus.

Ive heard good things about Prometeus/IperWeb and looking at stats on serverbear, they seem to back up those remarks. I'll be giving them a go myself, and see how they compare to Edis. Just waiting on more stock ;)

• SpiritSpirit Member

@the_pfy said:
    Who if the most stable providers you guys have come across?

I pulled some quick data from my uptimerobot monitoring list. Listed only my long term stablest non .us hosts per your request. I didn't list those which I added to monitoring recently.

AllSimple UK 99.97%, Castlegem AT 99.98%, Castlegem CZ 99.99%, DediServ DE 100%, DediServ NL 100%, Finalhosting CZ 99.99%, Inceptionhosting NL 99.99% (this drasticly improved after migration to new DC), Oderland SE 99.99%, Prometeus IT 99,99% - 100% (depend from node), SysCentral de 99.95%, Torqhost EE 99.95%, Vooservers UK 100%, XenVZ/OpenITC UK 99.95 - 100% (Maidenhead more stable than Newcastle).

btw. with Edis I would recommend you their home (AT) location. They have bigger control over it and also uptime isn't so bad - 99.94 according to uptimerobot.

Thanked by 1ozfingwe
  • Wow!, you have a lot of VPS boxes ha ha... The plan I am looking at with Edis is in AT as that's the only place they offer it. I ask about stability and things because I don't want to have to keep going though the pain of buying a new box changing DNS and moving services more than I really must I like to get my Linux boxes setup just the way I like them Harden them and leave them to run but if the host isn't stable then that isn't going to happen.

• @the_pfy I usually leth the boxes run in a testing mode for 2-4 weeks minimum before putting them into production. This saves a lot of time later and helps to identify unstable hosts. Does Edis offer money back guarantee?

• for the first 4 hours, which would be spent just getting it how I like :-D I figure that I would try any host for 2 months before I move EVERYTHING to it, if that went well then I would move everything else

• Keep in mind the ping from Austria to Asia is rather high, we have a rather direct transport link (via Retn to HKIX, hit or miss on peers, Korea should be fine however), speed should be very good though.

If you really want to get good pings (gaming etc.) better look at HK, which comes at a higher price and less traffic but should cut ping to under 30ms from Seoul.

• yea, most of the time the VPN in Korea will only be for web browsing when I am on a public WiFi zone, so ping isn't my main problem.