Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to minimise this VPS memory [Pic included]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to minimise this VPS memory [Pic included]

netbearnetbear Member
edited January 2012 in General

I have setup a new VPS that has the following specs - Atom 1.6 Ghz,Open VZ,512 MB RAM.No files uploaded & no Traffic yet.

I have installed Nginx,PHP,Mysql & Wordpress.Control panel is Webmin.

Attached is the screenshot of the memory usage. Kindly suggest if any process is using too much memory & if possible a few tips or resources to bring that down.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

Turn off Inno DB, you will find happinness

Also you don't need that saslauthd, and I don't know what is "miniserv.pl".

Even you may reduce the max memory usage for php, and the number of processes (for nginx too, use less workers)

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2012

Edit /etc/nginx/nginx.conf

You should adjust the following:
    worker_processes (typically 2-4 is enough for even the busiest sites)
    worker_connections (512 – 1024)

Source: http://tuxlite.com/lnmp-readme/

Also, for MySQL optimizations:
    Edit /etc/my.cnf or /etc/mysql/my.cnf
    You should add the following lines:
    skip-bdb
    skip-innodb

Don't forget to restart nginx and mysql afterwards.

• How many cores? Don't run more nginx worker processes than you have cores.

Mysql can always be tweaked to use less memory, though sometimes at the expense of performance. Worth looking into more.

Do you need saslauthd for something? It's typically used for smtp server authentication but I don't see an smtp server running. But maybe you need it for something else...

Do you have any services running through the xinetd super-daemon? If not you could shut that down.

• FWIW, newer MySQL installations may freak out about "skip-bdb"; if it does, you can remove it from your my.cnf, since it's not being used anyway.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

How much are you paying for this VPS?

It's on an ATOM, that's really really really low end...

Francisco

• @sleddog said: Do you have any services running through the xinetd super-daemon? If not you could shut that down.

It seems that he probably has SSH behind xinetd?

And for mysql, mysqltuner does a good job giving advice about what to do :P

• @Francisco said: It's on an ATOM, that's really really really low end...

Welcome to lowendtalk.com ;)

• One more...

If you're not running a high-traffic site, try using the new 'ondemand' model for php-fpm. Only one php-fpm process runs by default, more are spawned on demand.

• LESLES Member

@netbear said: I have installed Nginx,PHP,Mysql & Wordpress.

Do you really need a panel for this?

• Why not make a .blogger.com site and hook it up to your domain?

• Well, by implementing few changes said here, the memory usage has come down to 115MB from 220, But still more customizing is required, i feel

@Damian4IPXcore said: FWIW, newer MySQL installations may freak out about "skip-bdb"; if it does, you can remove it from your my.cnf, since it's not being used anyway.

Correctly said, i added it on advice of a member & SQL didnt start.So removed it & its fine.

You should add the following lines:
    skip-bdb
    skip-innodb

Added innodb line, & boom - a drop of 100 MB!! Thanks for that.

@sleddog said: How many cores? Don't run more nginx worker processes than you have cores.

Regarding the cores, I have 4

@yomero said: It seems that he probably has SSH behind xinetd?

Yes, SSH dropbear is the sub command & i think what u said about SSH behind zinetd is correct.

• @Naruto said: Why not make a .blogger.com site and hook it up to your domain?

Im moving from the blogger platform, as I required more control over the theme & working of the site

• tuxtux Member

@yomero said: I don't know what is "miniserv.pl".

It is webmin.

• Install CSF firewall

• @Naruto said: Why not make a .blogger.com site and hook it up to your domain?

Why not just cancel the VPS and go back to shared hosting while you're at it... >_>

• @Zetta said: Why not just cancel the VPS and go back to shared hosting while you're at it... >_>

And I wonder what as to do blogger with this... >_> (love this one haha)

• Am I missing something here? You have 512MB and are only using 297. You have over 200 MB free. Where is the issue?

On a separate but related issue, why disable innobd if there is space for running it? It does come with at least a few advantages compared to isam.

• @cleonard said: Am I missing something here? You have 512MB and are only using 297. You have over 200 MB free. Where is the issue?

Hmm.intersting viewpoint when evryone is looking to minimise the memory usage.
    The issue is, The site is not uploaded onto the server & i fear that once he site goes online on this VPS, it wud take up more RAM.So wanted to make sure of trimming it as much as possible straightaway!

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited January 2012

@netbear said: Hmm.intersting viewpoint when evryone is looking to minimise the memory usage.

IMO, the objective is not to minimize memory usage, it's to use it most efficiently. For example, by shutting down unnecessary services (that may have been installed & started by default) you reclaim memory that can then be used elsewhere to improve performance -- perhaps by increasing MySQL caches, or allowing a few additional php-fpm processes.