Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any shared hosting providers that supports Java?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any shared hosting providers that supports Java?

aebaaeba Member
edited July 2017 in Help

My experiences with shared hosting is very limited, so please excuse me if what I say doesn't make much sense.

I have a toy project built using the Play Framework. I deployed it on a lowendspirit server and it barely fits in the 128MB limit, using up about 80MB ram. Servers built using Play Framework are standalone like Node.js and don't require Tomcat or such, but only the Java 8 executable (and a bindable port of course).

Although I am satisfied with the current configuration I want some redundancy, so I'm just asking out of curiosity. Is a "shared hosting" environment capable of running Java code? Does it at least provide a shell so I can wget a jre from Oracle and extract it and run my stuff there? (and use apache/nginx as reverse proxy) What is a shared hosting environment capable of?

Comments

• Look at Heroku, OpenShift or IBM Bluemix ;) that's probably the closest you can get to "shared" hosting

Thanked by 1aeba
  • I don't think most host will support java. Some who might will cost more than a good vps.